• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lore & Legends -- who's got it?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
The 5E Companion to Art & Arcana is out, according to Noble Knight. Anyone picked it up yet? How does it compare to Art & Arcana? I was particularly impressed by the scholarship in Art & Arcana -- is this book as clear-eyed about both the successes and failures of WotC during the 5E years?
I've only skimmed through it so far. It is once again a thorough review of the products, spin-offs and behind the scenes design decisions and planning during the period it covers, and also packed with gorgeous art. My initial assessment is perhaps "clear-eyed but through rose-tinted spectacles". That said, it covers a period for which D&D was wildly successful, so I'm not sure what failures it should be covering that it might not be. The book crams all of 2023 into a short 14-page "Postlude" so the fact that I didn't see any mention of the OGL fiasco (the one major misstep I could think of) was not surprising. And, as I've said, I've only paged through it.​

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm very interested in this book, but I wonder if I should wait for the special edition. I absolutely loved the special edition of Art & Arcana, but the price tag is, understandably, quite hefty.

rozgarth

Explorer
I really enjoyed Art and Arcana, so was excited to pick up Lore and Legends. Overall, I was disappointed. It felt more like I was reading a product catalog put out by WotC than a history of 5th edition told through its artwork.

There were parts that triggered nostalgia, like reading back to the old Next playtests and art concepting. The book also made it quite apparent to me that 5e’s art style has shifted over time and that I preferred the earlier, more grounded style.

That said, I found the book generally un-critical and starry-eyed. (If it matters, I started with 3e; have generally enjoyed 3e, 4e, and 5e; and am both playing in and DMing separate 5e campaigns right now.)

For example, I was disappointed that there was no mention of Chris Perkins’ Dice, Camera, Action show, despite the pretty in depth discussion of other live plays, presumably because that would have required discussing controversy. I was also disappointed at the lack of any discussion on the OGL debacle, despite it fitting into the time frame, even if only for WotC to congratulate itself on releasing the 5e SRD into the Creative Commons. Finally, I recall being annoyed at reading about 5e’s recent shifts regarding alignment and traditionally evil races as revelatory, without any critical discussion as to why WotC had returned to these concepts in the first place in 5e—Eberron came out 20 years ago, and 4e had already advanced the treatment of alignment (most were Unaligned), the characterization of “evil” races like gnolls, and the stereotyping of peoples like Vistani.

I don’t expect every Twitter controversy to be covered, and I don’t think they necessarily should be in the grand scheme of history for a book like this at a certain level of generality. But some of these matter a lot, either by omission (OGL) or by one-sided storytelling (treatment of alignment and races) that doesn’t reflect on how 5e had regressed in the first place.

Overall, there is a lot of artwork and an optimistic view of 5e’s history. I don’t regret buying or reading it. I was more disappointed at the missed opportunity to tell a more holistic story of 5e, more like what I recall reading in Art and Arcana, but I suppose that can’t be helped given the licensing relationship and the recency of events.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'm very interested in this book, but I wonder if I should wait for the special edition. I absolutely loved the special edition of Art & Arcana, but the price tag is, understandably, quite hefty.
I was considering buying the regular version but just saw today that the special edition comes with a new map of Faerun by Jared Blando. Hopefully it will be made available to purchase on his website.

darjr

I crit!
Oh. It’s $130 retail now $117 on Amazon.

IMG_8553.jpeg

The special edition features original cover and slipcase illustrations by Hydro74, three gatefold Through the Ages features that showcase how the artwork of several iconic monsters and characters has changed across editions, and a pull-out drawer that doubles as a dice tray. The drawer holds a 24” x 36” adventure map of Faerûn illustrated by Jared Blando, an 8” x 10” art print of the original fifth edition Starter Set cover artwork by Jaime Jones, and a custom resin d20 die.

R_J_K75

Legend
Oh. It’s $130 retail now $117 on Amazon.

View attachment 309297

The special edition features original cover and slipcase illustrations by Hydro74, three gatefold Through the Ages features that showcase how the artwork of several iconic monsters and characters has changed across editions, and a pull-out drawer that doubles as a dice tray. The drawer holds a 24” x 36” adventure map of Faerûn illustrated by Jared Blando, an 8” x 10” art print of the original fifth edition Starter Set cover artwork by Jaime Jones, and a custom resin d20 die.
Wish we could get a view of the full map

Remove ads