Losing my main FLGS

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
After 39 years in business, Pegasus Games in Madison, Wisconsin is closing its doors in November. The current owners want to retire and sought a buyer. No luck. The clearance sale starts today with closing planned for November 17.

I've been a customer of theirs for a good 35 years and spent many a dollar there. And that included gift cards I would get for X-mas and turn around on my birthday a week later for the birthday 20% off sale.

Always great service. Knowledgeable staff. Friendly owners. They will be missed.

darjr

I crit!
Sparta Games closed recently here in Omaha. Luckily we have like seven or eight game stores in the local area. A couple are comic book stores with games and one is a game cafe. But we are spoiled here.

billd91

I’ll be there for Gameholecon so I think I’ll stop by. That’s too bad.

They've got a booth in the exhibitor area at Gamehole. Should help with the clearance of inventory. But it's worth a field trip to the store anyway.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
As someone who lost two of my FLGS (Ancient Wonders and its successor store, Legend of Gamers, both in Tualatin), I know how much that sucks.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Aero hobbies in Santa Monica is closing this month.
80 years in business.
Yeah that one cuts deep. Those guys invented/popularized the Thief class for D&D. When the actress who played Arya from Game of Thrones made a joke video posing as a game store salesperson, that's where she did it. Aero has wargames which date back to pre-D&D on display. So many epic games have happened there. I can't believe it's going away...all because rents are too high.

They're holding a MASSIVE sale right now. Giving things away for free.

73218669_10162295666470401_4411672986340294656_n.jpg

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah that one cuts deep. Those guys invented/popularized the Thief class for D&D. When the actress who played Arya from Game of Thrones made a joke video posing as a game store salesperson, that's where she did it. Aero has wargames which date back to pre-D&D on display. So many epic games have happened there. I can't believe it's going away...all because rents are too high.

They're holding a MASSIVE sale right now. Giving things away for free.

73218669_10162295666470401_4411672986340294656_n.jpg

Ouch.

I wouldn't open a gamestore with my own money.

billd91

Looks like Pegasus Games has received a resurrection. They closed as planned on November 17 with nearly everything gone in the inventory sell off. Then, on the 25th, word suddenly popped up on their Facebook page to "Stay tuned". Now, the announcement has gone out that someone finally came out and bought the biz and will reopen. They are apparently now checking in inventory like crazy in order to reopen for Black Friday.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. Lory, the woman who has run the place for the last 39 years, will be staying on to teach them how to be Pegasus Games and this is a good thing. But I wonder what took them so long to come forward because the shutdown lost them experienced employees who had to go seeking jobs elsewhere. I'm not going to go looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I am curious.

Remove ads