• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost: How Many Are Left?

Steverooo

First Post
So there were 48, to start... but when was this count taken? In watching the introduction to last season, before the Season Premier, last night, I noticed that I had never counted the guy who got sucked into the plane's engine, before it stopped (and also probably before any count)!

So, the PERMANENT deaths (not counting Charlie's) include:

1) The guy who got sucked into the engine, in Episode 1.
2) The Marshal (who died in, like, Episode 2).
3) Steve (who was slain on the beach, by Ethan).
3.5) I discount the pilot, who wasn't counted among the survivors, and died before anyone was able to pass along knowledge of his existance.
4) Swimmer-girl (whose name I can never remember, who Boone tried to save).
5) Boone (late in season one, after the smugglers' plane crushed his leg).
6) Arzt (who go "BOOM!")

48 - 6 = 42, +1 for Aaron (Claire's baby, AKA "Turnip-head") = 43... although, I guess Aaron isn't really a "survivor" of the plane crash.

I assume Kate, Michael, Jin, and John/Sawyer are all still alive. Now Walt looked dead-drowned, to me! ;)

Last edited:

RatPunk

First Post
I believe when the census was taken, Ethan was still pretending to be a survivor, so subtract one more, which would bring it back to 42 (one of Hurley's numbers, I might add...).

Steverooo

First Post
RatPunk said:
I believe when the census was taken, Ethan was still pretending to be a survivor, so subtract one more, which would bring it back to 42 (one of Hurley's numbers, I might add...).

Interesting! :D I was expecting it to be 42, at the end of season one... and 23 at the end of this one! Then 16, 15, eight, and finally four in seasons six and seven? (They said they were planning to run it for seven seasons, right?)

If so, then it looks like "the war with the others" will provide for a lot of casualties! :] I've read that one of the main character's actor has already been told that they'll be leaving the show, this season (as in, their character will be killed off)! The other 18 will be "red shirts", apparently...

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Steverooo said:
The other 18 will be "red shirts", apparently...
I resemble that remark!

After reading some other Lost boards with a discussion of dopplegangers, I have a wierd theory. For some reason, I'm thinking that the island is a parallel dimension that operates by occasionally duplicating things from the "real world". Everyone on the island is real, but a copy. This is the "second chance" for the copies to resolve issues from their prior life. I don't know why I like this idea. Maybe because it fits the "purgatory" concept without actually being an afterlife.

Edit: And to connect it to the discussion, the island creates copies of (or kills off) people to maintain one of the magic numbers.

-RedShirt

Last edited:

KaosDevice said:
Actually wouldn't it be 43 with the addition of baby Aaron? :)
Yeah, but as Steverooo said he wasn't really one of the "survivors", per se. Of course, none of the people it is rumored will turn up from the tail section were counted among the original 48, so more than 19 will have to die to bring the number down to 23.

Hmm. I guess we could be looking at a pretty bloody season.

Remove ads