• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost: learn anything new?

Crothian

First Post
So, this summer we had some revealing of something and now the season 2 DVD is out. I am wondering if anything and what was learned from it? I haven't had time to follow it this summer so hopefully other have.

Staffan

Legend
You mean the Lost Experience thing? We've learned quite a few things. I'll sblock them for the benefit of those who wish to remain unspoiled.
[sblock]
The Hanso Foundation is behind the Dharma Initiative, but they have publicly disowned it (there are still food drops coming from somewhere though).
TDI was created to prevent world destruction, by manipulating the input variables in something called the Valenzetti Equation, which is supposed to forecast when the human race is destroyed.
Alvar Hanso was instrumental in starting up TDI (although the idea seems to have come from Gerald and Karen deGroot), but he hasn't been seen for many years now. A man called Dr Thomas Mittelwerk (although he doesn't seem to actually have a doctorate) is running the show instead.
The Black Rock (the ship) was a slave trader, and owned by Alvar Hanso's ancestor, Magnus Hanso.
THF under Mittelwerk are working on some sort of genetic virus that will kill off "precise genetic targets", presumably people he believes would hasten the demise of the human race. They've done some pretty nasty things while researching this virus.
Both the Widmore Corporation (Desmond's ex's father's company) and Paik Heavy Industries (Sun's father's company) have strong ties to THF.
Mittelwerk has taken an interest in old shipping lines running out of Copenhagen. It is possible he is trying to figure out the location of the Dharma Initiative by locating where the Black Rock travelled.[/sblock]
I think those are the main plot points that are actually relevant to the Island.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
A pox on you Staffan and Fast Learner! Now I will never get that foot rub out of Crothian.

And as for speeding tickets, they apparently also like getting arrested for drunk driving and really like getting their characters killed.

Kidding aside, I listen to the commentaries and watch the special features and I come away thinking that the writers and producers do not know what the real story of the island is because they are (by and large) making it all up as they go. They only have a kind of vague plan and follow it.

And the fans read more into things like the mural in the bunker and anagrams with Alvar Hanso's name than the writers themselves ever put in. So hairsplitting all the tidbits of information (released in a kind of cross between water torture and foreplay) doesn’t really led anywhere nor offer any real insights into the show.

Don’t’ get me wrong – I like the show. I don’t get to watch it and had to wait until the season 2 DVD was released to see any episodes from that season.

But the LOST Experience is not going to provide any startling insights or solve any significant mysteries because it can’t. It’s just fun to play the game.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
trancejeremy said:
I bet this show ends with Patrick Duffy in the shower.

I think that the show will end will Jorge Garcia waking up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette and telling her about the dream he had and then the Bob Newhart theme running durring the closing credits.

Arnwyn

First Post
I hope/wish they put all that "revelation" crap in the show, and not just in some lame 'alternate reality game' (or whatever they call it).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads