[LotR] 13 Oscar Nominations!!

Corinth

First Post
Put The Hitmen On Retainer

I agree that it is unlikely that LOTR:FOTR will win the Best Picture or Best Director awards that it richly deserves, and that it will instead go to some more mundane film that the Old Guard at the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences adore. I agree that it will probably lose in the acting categories where it contends, and that it (again) will go to someone that the Old Guard adores. I forsee that LOTR:FOTR will win a few technical awards, and there is an outside chance at awards in the Screeplay and Score categories, but none are likely in the categories that really matter in the end: Picture, Director, Actor/Actress & Supporting Actor/Actress.

That doesn't make it right.

Find the fossels and quislings responsible, kill them and repeat until the Oscars stop being some hideous farce of a peer-granted award of merit.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Come What May is the only original song in Moulin Rouge. It is ineligible to be nominated for an Oscar because of a technicality in the rules. The song was originally copyrighted in 2000. The movie was released in 2001. This year's Oscars are for 2001. If Come What May had been copyrighted in 2001, it would be eligible. Stupid, right?

A Beautiful Mind is nominated for best makeup because the main characters age 50 or so years during the course of the movie. They had to use makeup to make them look younger and older than they really are. It's not as noteworthy as turning a human into an elf, a dwarf, a hobbit or an orc, but it is well done. But it probably won't win.

kenjib

First Post
Zamdrist said:
I've always seen the Oscars or any movie awards show as very cliquish. They always vote for the 'artsie' movies and not ones that people liked neccessarily.

I always felt the exact opposite. Titanic holds the record for most awards won by a single film. Gladiator won last year because it had more broad appeal even though CTHD was far more innovative, refreshing, and a more impressive accomplishment.

Also, I think that LotR is perhaps getting a bit of a bias here considering the community. Memento really should win for film editing. That was a really incredible and very difficult job. Moulin Rouge should also win for costumes and art direction. That film was pure eye candy in a way that LotR just can't compare to.

Now best director and adapted screenplay I would give to Peter Jackson since he did what everyone thought was impossible.

Best movie? LotR was darned good, but Moulin Rouge was really cutting edge. I think that Moulin Rouge deserves it.

Regarding the singing in Moulin Rouge, however, I have to disagree with some previous posts. The voices were mediocre. Ewan could belt but the tone was pretty poor - at some points almost painfully so for me. Nicole Kidman just had a weak voice all around. They weren't bad but I wouldn't call them good either - just adequate. What made the movie great was the art direction and the powerful presence of some of the actors, Nicole Kidman and that Zeigler guy that ran the show in particular. That guy really should have been at least nominated for supporting actor.

Last edited:

Remove ads