[LotR] 13 Oscar Nominations!!

EOL

First Post
EricNoah said:
People, remember that it's an honor just to be nominated!

*pause*

*bursts out laughing*

I knew I couldn't do that with a straight face! :D

I agree that winning isn't everything, it's the only thing, but LoTR did win the total nomination contest-within-the-contest, okay I'm grasping here, but it's impressive.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Fact: The film with the most nominations typically wins Best Picture...

This year LotR has the most nominations.

I will be pleasantly surprised if it brings home the Best Picture statue...

Harlequin

First Post
mock if you want...

FINALLY

the old coots at the Academy have some sanity

Honestly i am just happy that its been nominated for 13 awards...
I dont care if LOTR gets snubbed (which probably will happen)

just to be nominated 13 times for a Fantasy flick
is a MONUMENTOUS achievement...

Harlequin

Shadowdancer

First Post
As a long-time Oscar observer and prognosticator (it's part of my job), I can tell you that it unlikely LOTR will win best picture, despite having the most nominations, and Russell Crowe is very, very unlikely to win best actor again this year after winning last year.

The Oscars run in trends. Yes, the movie with the most nominations has won 18 of the last 19 years -- or something close to that -- but there is another trend -- actually, more of a pattern -- that Oscar voters follow.

There are basically three types of movies that get nominated for best picture: Big sweeping epics (Braveheart, Gladiator); small, intimate character stories (Ordinary People, Terms of Endearment); and medium-sized movies, usually focusing on a few characters whose stories are set against a larger background (The English Patient, Titanic).

Usually, if one type of movie wins one year, that type of movie will not win the next. The Oscar voters don't like to repeat themselves. Since Gladiator won last year, LOTR probably won't win. It will win a lot of Oscars, but not best picture. The winner will either be In the Bedroom (small, intimate) or A Beautiful Mind (medium sized). Moulin Rogue won't win best picture because the film's director, Baz Luhrmann, wasn't nominated for best director. Usually, best director and best picture winners go hand-in-hand. If a film's director is not nominated for best director, it has very little chance of winning best picture.

Also, it's very rare for anyone in the acting categories to ever win back-to-back Oscars. Tom Hanks did it in the mid-90s, but that is an exception. Also, Hanks is well-liked in Hollywood and Crowe isn't.

The most likely winner for best actor is Denzel Washington. He's been nominated several times before, and won for best supporting actor back in 1989. He's also well-liked and well-respected in Hollywood. The Oscar are often a popularity contest, and the person with the best performance very rarely wins.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I can just "feel" the "GIMMIE AN OSCAR!" vibe from A Beautiful Mind, and I think it'll take Best Picture. LotR will walk away with a few, and will only get more as the trilogy comes to a close...but both it and Moulin Rouge are "wierd flicks," whereas A Beautiful Mind seems to be more the shameless Oscar butt-kissin' that wins these things. Crowe probably won't win best actor, but the movie will win, and maybe Opee will take away a statue. Basically, count LotR for all the categories that don't matter, but none of the ones who do. There are far more pandering films out there that will win. Far more "jerk their heart strings" kinds of flicks.

Moulin Rouge is a quirky film, so it might upset a few LotR categories. But A Beautiful Mind seems to be the darling this year, because it was *factory-generated* for an Oscar, whereas Moulin Rouge was seemingly made on a dare, and LotR was made on a gamble. A Beautiful Mind seems...safe....so it'll wallk away with the big ones.

But, then again, much of the Oscars have lost meaning to me after seeing Titanic sweep it. That pretty much ripped the credibility from it, IMHO. The English Patient was another Beautiful-Mind-esque made-for-statues flick, so I'm not surprised or upset. And I think that A Beautiful Mind will walk away with Best Picture. It's safe.

reapersaurus

First Post
A few comments:

1) This is SUCH a huge thing that LotR got nominated for 13 Oscars.
Admit it: if someone told you 3 months ago this would be happening (Edena, are you out there? ;) ), you wouldn't have believed them.

2) Moulin Rouge was an incredibly ballsy, over-the-top film. I'm shocked the ancient Oscar membership nominated it for anything. It will NOT win much, although I think it was the best, most original film of the year. I'm REALLY surprised it won for best editing, which is the one thing that everyone complained about when the movie came out (that it was too herky-jerky).

3) HOW in the heck could Moulin Rouge NOT be nominated for best music OR score? It only has the best soundtrack, hands down, of any movie in ages. Have you guys HEARD those songs soar with Ewan's voice?

Holy Bovine

First Post
I'm actually kind of disappointed that LotR got 13 nominations.

I hate the Oscars and if they had snubbed LotR (as is still likely - it could pull a 'Colour Purple' and win nothing) I would have been confident that I was right in hating the Oscars so much.

Now I'll have to watch the damn thing to see if they snub LotR.

Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky and have to work that night ;)

theburningman

First Post
What I've read is that Moulin Rouge didn't get nominated in the Score and Song category because its music incorporated so much previously composed music. And that probably is the actual reason, since it did get a lot of other nominations. The categories are Original Score and Original Song, after all.

BTW, I also would like to know how A Beautiful Mind got nominated for Makeup. I haven't seen it, but is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:

Christian

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
2) Moulin Rouge was an incredibly ballsy, over-the-top film. I'm shocked the ancient Oscar membership nominated it for anything. It will NOT win much, although I think it was the best, most original film of the year. I'm REALLY surprised it won for best editing, which is the one thing that everyone complained about when the movie came out (that it was too herky-jerky).

3) HOW in the heck could Moulin Rouge NOT be nominated for best music OR score? It only has the best soundtrack, hands down, of any movie in ages. Have you guys HEARD those songs soar with Ewan's voice?

Wow. I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with Reapersaurus on anything. :) Hooda guessed that Ewan could sing like that? Holy mackerel.

There were only one or two original songs in that soundtrack, that probably sunk it as far as the music nominations went. Although I must say, I doubt anyone has covered Like A Virgin in quite that way before. I suspect that number will haunt me the rest of my days.

Back to the topic-someone wrote a bit early on suggesting that Ian McKellen had a good shot at Best Supporting Actor if he didn't have the misfortune to be nominated for Best Actor instead. I don't remember the reasons why, but I remember it made sense at the time; so I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that FOTR will get at least one of the Big Six here.

Crossing my fingers ...

reapersaurus

First Post
theburningman said:
What I've read is that Moulin Rouge didn't get nominated in the Score and Song category because its music incorporated so much previously composed music. And that probably is the actual reason, since it did get a lot of other nominations. The categories are Original Score and Original Song, after all.
Well, all it takes is one song to be original to qualify for the Best Song category, and there were 2 unbelievable songs on that record:
Come What May and
Hindi Sad Diamonds (unbelievably good)

Remove ads