[LotR] On Valentine's Day, better a hobbit's heart than to lust after a lord

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I only just read this article over at tolkienonline.com. If you guys have already seen it, ignore, but I thought this was a sweet little belated Valentine's day article.

On Valentine's Day, better a hobbit's heart than to lust after a lord

The other day, a bunch of us in the office, Lord of the Rings fans all, were talking about our favourite characters from the book and movie. I said when I was a girl, I loved to imagine myself as Arwen, the dark-haired Elven princess.

Arwen, for those (few) who've neither read the books nor seen the movie, is the heroic beauty who sacrifices her chance at immortality in order to marry her great love, Aragorn, the handsome, brooding warrior who becomes the High King of Middle-earth.

But, as I joked with the guys here, I didn't end up as Arwen, married to Aragorn. I grew up to be Rose Cotton, married to Sam Gamgee.

That line got a good laugh in the newsroom. Rose Cotton, you see, is no elf princess. She's a short, plump hobbit, with a tendency to be bit bossy with her men-folk. Sam is her hobbit husband, a down-to-earth cook and gardener with hairy feet.

Most of the people I was talking to thought I was taking a shot at my husband. But in actual fact, I think I was really paying him the highest of compliments. As far as I'm concerned, Samwise Gamgee is the real hero of The Lord of the Rings, not Aragorn or Gandalf or Frodo.

Sam isn't a warrior by training or inclination. He isn't looking for glory or adventure.

He gets dragged into danger because of his love and loyalty for his gentle master, Frodo, the soulful hobbit who's been given the great task of destroying the Dark Lord's ring of evil.

As Frodo's squire, Sam travels all the way to heart of the Dark Lord's kingdom, battling orc-goblins, giant spiders and his own fears and frailties. He fights as bravely as any of the story's flashier knights -- more bravely, because he's no superhero with a magic sword, just an ordinary guy overtaken by extraordinary circumstances.

But his real heroism lies in his unshakeable loyalty to his best friend, and in his unshakeable loyalty to his hobbit values, his moral code.

When all the battles and quests are over, Sam returns to his prosaic hobbit life, marrying Rose, raising kids, planting trees and nurturing the community he loves.

The problem is, our culture doesn't validate the heroism of the Samwise Gamgees of this world. The romantic heroes every teenage girl is taught to pine for are the Byronic brooders like Aragorn.

But outside of books and movies, Aragorn-types are hard to come by. So, for that matter, are fantastically beautiful Arwen elf princesses.

No wonder so many people end up disappointed and disillusioned, hoodwinked by our cult of romantic love, which tells us that if we don't end up with an Arwen or an Aragorn, we have failed in the game of life.

On Valentine's Day, in particular, anyone, married or single, who doesn't have a storybook romance is all but encouraged to feel dissatisfied and cheated.

But life is not a fairy tale and love is not a myth. And this is my valentine to my husband, my Samwise Gamgee. I call him that, not because he's short and stocky and hairy-toed -- though he is. I call him that because he's brave and funny and loyal and kind, because he's a fabulous cook who makes the best fried mushrooms I've ever tasted.

He's my hero, because when our daughter breaks a toy he takes out his super-glue and puts the little pieces back together. He's my hero, because when I'm sick he makes me steaming cups of honey-lemon water and steaming pots of chicken soup and rubs my back. He's my hero, because he can roll out a pie-crust, change a tire in a blizzard and settle our little girl to sleep faster than anyone else.

Is he perfect? Far from it. About as far as I am.

Here's my advice on this St. Valentine's Day. Don't flagellate yourself if you're not embroiled in a big-screen love affair with a perfect prince or princess. Whether you're coupled or single, straight or gay, spend today celebrating the heroism of real love -- not "romance, " but the love of friends and family and community, the "ordinary" garden-variety love that conquers darkness. Don't worry about loving like an elf lord or a princess. Love like a hobbit.

And may the hair on your toes grow ever longer.

Last edited:

Lady Starhawk

First Post
**sniff**

Sadly, good hobbits are as hard to find as princes :( .

The problem is, our culture doesn't validate the heroism of the Samwise Gamgees of this world. The romantic heroes every teenage girl is taught to pine for are the Byronic brooders like Aragorn.

She has hit it right on the head for me. I've recently gotten to a maturity point in life that I know that what I have been taught and shown (knight in shining armor) isn't what will truly lend itself to a "happily ever after".

When I was little I wanted to be a beautiful princess and marry a handsome prince. Now that I'm older I want a man like Sam, for the very reasons the author stated :). As she described Sam, she described what I think of as the prefect man :) .

I think I'm going to have to change my sig...
Princess, having sufficient experience with princes, seeks hobbit ;) .

Lady Starhawk

Thanks for posting this, it made my day :D

I beg to differ

Except that Sam isn't an "ordinary hobbit", especially when he returns to the Shire.

Lets see:

- He is the principal director of post-war reconstruction throughout the Shire.

- He is Frodo's heir which means that after Frodo's departure he basically becomes a landed gentlehobbit. That's a far cry from the working class gardner he used to be.

- He becomes the longest serving mayor of Michel Delving in history (the Mayor (Sam) , the Thain (Pippin) and the Master of Buckland (Merry) are basically the closest thing there is to the "rulers" of the Shire).

- He's appoited a counsellor of the Reunited Kingdom.

- Ellessar gives him the STAR OF ELENDIL as a *present*!!!!! (Yes, I know that Gondor has a crown whereas Arnor just had the star worn as a diadem, and after Aragorn reunited the kingdoms that was one headpiece too many; but there are a lot of other things Elessar could have done with a six thousand year old glowing elf-made diamond as big as silver dollar!)

- He becomes the final author (with Bilbo, Frodo) and effectively the publisher of the Red Book of Westmarch.

- He founds TWO dynasties of hobbit nobles (the ones who colonise the Tower Hills after the elves leave and the ones who colonise the land near Bree which Elessar grants the shire early in the Third Age).

- He's a Ringbearer and a famous Elf-Friend who has and continued to consort with the highest of elven nobility (in particulare he was devoted to Galadriel) and was immeasurably enobled by the experience.

- He has a ridiculoulsy long life span for a hobbit (almost as long as Bilbo) due to being a Ringbearer.

- He doesn't die but is allowed to go over the sea when he wearies of Middle Earth (basically when Rose dies, he leaves).(Yes, being mortal, going to Aman would not prevent Sam from dying, in fact it may even speed up the process - but what a way to go for a guy who had such a big thing for elves!)

Now, I know that Rosie and Sam were "courting" before he left to protect Frodo on the Ring Quest - for a working class lad he was a pretty good prospect (ggod trade, good relationship with a wealthy gentleman (Frodo)). But boy oh boy did this chich luck out when she snapped him up on his return. Let's see, she gets to live in Bag End, her daughter gets to be a lady in waiting to Queen Arwen, she gets all the prestige of being the Lady Mayoress of Michel Delving, and the wife of a counsellor to the King.

THAT is hardly an example of the quiet, humble life wyou seem to be extolling!

Bonedagger

First Post
PenguinKing said:
The feminine equivalent of the vernacular phrase "when I was a boy..."?

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Actually I did also find that sentence disturbing.

No. If it had said: "When I was younger", "When I was a child" or: " When I was a kid" it might have been another case. :)

Remove ads