LOTR RPG vs The One Ring

gweinel

Explorer
would you be so kind and give an example of this?

Well, the most glaring feature is the bipole Hope - Shadow which is tied with the Fellowship mechanic. The corruption of the Enemy is a very big danger in the game. Almost the same as big as a goblin poisoned arrow. The characters start with a number of Hope points and represent the "pureness" of their soul. On the other hand the Enemy tries to corrupt every aspect of Middle-Earth in direct (orcs, raids, wars, destruction of land) or subtle ways (the corruption of Boromir or Saruman, the dwarven rings of power etc). The characters in their course of their adventures are exposed to the direct and indirect influence of Sauron. When that happens there is a possibility to gain shadow points. If for any reason the shadow points exceeds the hope points then the character is "miserable" and there is a good posibilty to have "a bout of madness" (as an example the attack of Boromir to Frodo). If a character has 5 "bout of madness" then the Enemy has totally corrupt him.

By spending hope points you can enhance you rolls in order to achieve some great things (boost to skills and attacks) or avoid some misfortune (the calling of a wight or the damage of an attack). Although the bonus is significant you really cannot replentish your hope points except from two sources. The first is story based and it has to do with the adventure that the Loremaster has prepared (for example after a win of a fight against all odds or the gift of vial with the light of the West from Galadriel). The second comes from the Fellowship.
Fellowship is the term of the party. A party forms a Fellowship and as the party roams and battle the Enemy in Middle-Earth. In order to succeed one party member must rely to another and have to work together. In the depths of Moria or under the dark leaves of Mirkwood the only source of hope that a character have is a fellow party member. As it happened in the books, also some charcters have a favorite party member or a party member they want to protect (at the formation of the Fellowship all the heroes pledged to protect Frodo, or later in the books there had been a special bond between Legolas and Gimli). These two aspect have been "translated" in game mechanics: a) There is the Fellowship Pool which has Hope points with number equal the party members. So a Fellowship of 4 adventures have a Fellowship Pool of 4 Hope points. Every party member can take from this pool in order to succeed something difficult (most of the party must aggree to the action). This pool is replentished in each session. b) The second feature is the Fellowship Focus: Every character has as "favorited" (the Fellowship Focus) in the party. If you want to help your Fellowship Focus and spent a Hope point then you take that point back. So, when Sam attacking Shelob in order to save Frodo in Mordor the Hope point he spent took it back :p .

Another very important mechanic of the game and also very Tolkien -driven is the journey rules. If you have read the books you know that Tolkien describes great part of the journeys. The increased important of the journeys are implemented in the game mechanics. Each journey takes much time in the adventures of The One Ring and it is the source of many adventures, social encounters and of course dangers.

I hope i helped a bit. :)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
That was tremendous, [MENTION=2165]gweinel[/MENTION].

I don't think I am good enough as a DM to run a game set in Middle Earth, but I am definitely interested in some of those mechanics.

gweinel

Explorer
That was tremendous, [MENTION=2165]gweinel[/MENTION].

I don't think I am good enough as a DM to run a game set in Middle Earth, but I am definitely interested in some of those mechanics.

Thank you :)

Have in mind that the game is more simple (not simplistic) than d&d and very very elegant, so i think it is more easy to master as Loremaster than dnd. Being a game so dedicated to the books of Tolkien I think the most important requirement for the Loremaster and the players is their love for Middle-Earth. If they love the books and the world then they will have really great time. If they don't care much then there is the possibility that they ll don't capture the inner logic of this game and the atmosphere it itends to build.

Our gaming group (most of us have 20 years of gaming experience) with almost exclusive dnd background (from 2nd to 4th and back again to 3rd edition) found The One Ring to be very "fresh" game and a very welcoming change to our gaming nights.

Last edited:

Hammerforge

Explorer
I have not played neither HARP or GURPS, so I cannot judge the systems. However the big plus for The One Ring is that the rules were designed especially for the world of Tolkien, so they manage to capture the atmosphere of the Middle-Earth of the late 3rd Age almost perfectly. You will find many little things in the mechanics that you ll make you smile reminding you the original source of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Now you've gotten me thinking about buying it. :)

gweinel

Explorer
[MENTION=2165]gweinel[/MENTION]: You should post more often. You seem to have a few of us convinced to get this game. :)

Thank you very much. I have discovered the game the last months and i have to say i haven't discussed here until now. If you want more info about the game you can also check the official forums http://forums.cubicle7.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=b4d5e1a756b731cc90679c6226fe495e . You will find there a very helpful gaming community. :)

As a final note I would like to add the high value of the products. They are very well written and you can read the books (few atm unfortunately) as a fantasy reading and not as game that you have to learn. And that is a big plus for me and comes in contrast with the majority of 3rd and 4th edition books. Also the artwork is marvelous! No flashy things, no big blasts, just humble magical fantasy.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I really thinks The One Ring deserves more exposure, since it's really well done in pretty much every respect.
However, I have one caveat for German players: Do not buy the German translation - it's really bad. Go for the original.

Lindeloef

First Post
I really thinks The One Ring deserves more exposure, since it's really well done in pretty much every respect.
However, I have one caveat for German players: Do not buy the German translation - it's really bad. Go for the original.

good to know, thanks :)

Wicht

Hero
Add another vote here for The One Ring. I demoed the game for Cubicle 7 when they first released it at Gencon and fell in love with it. It has a great Tolkien feel and is easy enough to learn.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention this yet: one fantastic choice made for The One Ring is that players cannot play a wizard. It remains true to the true canon of middle-earth that the wizards were rather unique individuals. I like that.

And yes, as mentioned by gweinel, the journey rules are very well done and really help capture the flavor of the books.

Last edited:

Remove ads