LOTR RPG vs The One Ring

randomwizard

First Post
MERP

I am currently in a similar situation - *1,5.

I want to introduce some colleagues from work to roleplaying. "Lord of the Rings" and "Hobbit" it is, so I had to choose between the Tolkienesque games on my shelves: MERP, LotR or TOR

And - although I know that most of you will disagree here - i decided to use MERP. I cannot say exactly what pushed me in this direction, but it was the one that felt right. (But: as a Rolemaster player, I have no prejudice against the system, it is a fine, quick and playable rpg).

Speaking of MERP. Coleman Charlton (the creator of MERP) recently talked about those days in this interview.
http://randomwizard.blogspot.com/2013/10/coleman-charlton-interview.html

jamesrbrown

First Post
I used to play the LOTR Roleplaying Game before TOR came along in 2011. Now I play TOR exclusively. I am always the Loremaster and have played with several different groups quite a bit over the last 3 years. Let me say, the two systems don't even compare. The LOTR RPG uses the CODA system, which is based on rolls of 2D6 + Attribute bonus + Skill rank vs a Target Number. That sounds simple enough, but the bonuses and skill ranks can be way too high, making combat feel broken because it becomes near impossible to miss any target that doesn't try to Dodge, Parry, or Block. Hobbits can easily take down trolls due to size difference bonuses and Defense ratings that just aren't high enough. For example, Defense is always 10 + Nimbleness modifier, which is anywhere from 0 to +4. That means Defense scores are almost always in a range between 10-14. However, Armed Combat skills are often higher than 6. That means you'll most likely be adding between 6-12 to every roll of 2d6. An average roll is 7, which makes the average result between 13-19.

Tarthalion, a Man of Gondor, has a Nimbleness modifier of +2 and an Armed Combat: Blades (Longsword) +6. Because he specializes in Longswords, he gets an additional +2 bonus when he uses one. That means when he makes an Armed Combat test, he will roll 2d6 + 10. If he tries to hit an Uruk with a Defense of 11, there is no way for him to miss. Sure, the Uruk could declare a Parry and make his own Attack test to negate a successful hit using the Gondorian's Attack test result as the TN. He would roll 2d6 + 8. On average, this will result in a 15. However, that would use up one of his 2 Action allowances so that on his turn, he can do less.

Anyhow, it's a little wonky. TOR on the other hand has a solid custom dice system that is fun to use and incorporates Tolkien themes. The 12-sided Feat die includes a Gandalf rune instead of the 12 and an Eye of Sauron instead of the 11, and numbers 1-10. This die gets rolled every test along with a number of 6-sided Success dice equal to the level of ranks in the skill being used. So, if the hero was using Riddle and had 2 ranks in it, he would roll two Success dice and the Feat die and try to match or beat a Target Number. The game uses a default TN 14 for most actions. Very simple.

Unwise

Adventurer
Middle Earth is unique in modern fantasy mostly by being restrictive. As a setting, it is fantasy, but just less. Less magic, less races, less monsters, less variation of monsters, less divinity, less planes, less fantastic elements all around. Personally I rather like it, but to maintain a real Middle Earth feel, the party should not be made up of standard D&D adventurers.

I think it is important to check with players. If they want to play a shining paladin bursting with divine energy, or a fireball throwing wizard, this is really not the setting for them. To a player it can seem unduly restrictive and all the characters end up very same-same. The alternative is having a party of freaks and the game just does not end up feeling very Middle Earthy.

So my advice is just to be sure that A) this is a setting that the GM wants to play in and B) the players are happy enough with the restrictions in place from normal fantasy. Past that I can't contribute much sorry. I have only played MERP and it was a very pleasant system to work with, but it did feel like D&D in Middle Earth sometimes.

Matchstick

Adventurer
For those wanting to take a look at TOR, and who don't mind electronic copies (at least to start with), there's a bundle currently (as of Jan 9) on sale that has the core book, the Laketown set, and Tales of Wilderland (adventure book) all for fifteen bucks. It's an amazing price. And if you like what you see, consider buying the physical books, their production values are second to none.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/142310/

Even as a long time Rolemaster/MERP player I'd take TOR every time. As others have mentioned above, I've played nothing else that's even come close to evoking Tolkien the way TOR does.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I can't find the end date for the offer, but I think it's on Monday.

I absolutely had to acquire it and am glad I did. A fantastic read up to now, pretty close to the style of the stories.

Customers should be aware, though, that the game limits its approach to specific facets of Middle-earth. The rulebook offers six different cultures (basic outline of a character, some similarities to class): Barding, Beornings. Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, Elves of the Mrikwood, Hobbits of the Shire, and Woodmen of Wilderland. The Laketown book included with the bundle adds Men of the Lake, other accessories expand the selection.

The game is set some years after the Battle of Five Armies and in the area between roughly, Misty Mountains and The Waste, Grey Mountains and Dol Duldur. If you want to expand the scope you either have to wait for/buy more stuff or you're on your own.

But even with this limitations, I highly recommend TOR!

Endur

First Post
MERP for flavor, Rules whatever

I highly recommend MERP sourcebooks for flavor.

For Rule, I'd go with whatever you are comfortable with.

Though I haven't gotten to actually play it yet, my read through of TOR suggests it's a great interpretation of the flavor and feel of Tolkien's world.

Though I tend not to like specific dice systems (I prefer the ability to just use generic dice), I have to say that the TOR system seems easier to execute than either a d20-based system or the CODA-based LOTR RPG.

I'm glad they've focused on the period between the Hobbit and LotR as the focus; its a period ripe for adventure. I'm personally looking forward to the future releases in the line.

Oh, and the books are beautiful, too.

Jhaelen

First Post
For those wanting to take a look at TOR, and who don't mind electronic copies (at least to start with), there's a bundle currently (as of Jan 9) on sale that has the core book, the Laketown set, and Tales of Wilderland (adventure book) all for fifteen bucks. It's an amazing price. And if you like what you see, consider buying the physical books, their production values are second to none.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/142310/
Yup, I immediately bought it after receiving the newsletter from Drivethrough, although I already had the hardcover core book (alas, in badly translated German).

TheFailedSave

First Post
I've played the Decipher version of the game and found it rather lacking. I liked character creation and the simplicity of the 2d6 roll, but it stopped there. Numeric modifiers to rolls stacked up WAY too quickly. Also, most things had a ludicrous amount of hit points. The One Ring is well written and a pleasure to read, but you would have to have exactly the right group for the game to shine as it is actually a very structured (some would say quite restrictive) game system even though it doesn't look like it.

I personally would recommend Magic World from Chaosium, despite the fact that I wouldn't use that game system for much else. It is simple, combat is lightning fast, it's low magic, and has optional rules for creating powerful heroes. The Light/Shadow alignment system is also a home run for an LoTR game. If I was playing in middle Earth, this is probably the system I would use.

Another option is the Cortex Classic system from Margaret Weis (the big blue book.) It is a very narrative friendly game but still has a sprinkling of crunch for those who enjoy more classic game structure as apposed to modern Fate/Marvel Heroic type design. One of my most successful campaigns was a Traveller universe game using Cortex rules.

Also don't forget about the old D6 system! You can now get it for free online, so it can't hurt to look. The "Mini Six" version is my favorite.

pemerton

Legend
I can confirm that the DriveThruRPG deal linked to above is still happening, because I just read this thread and coughed up my $15 (which will be closer to A$19 with the drop in our exchange rate).

I've seen TOR on sale at my local games shop but haven't been sure about the relatively high price, especially as I have trouble with storage for my existing games. So a PDF deal is a good way to take a peek!

Remove ads