LOTR RPG vs The One Ring

Thanks for your feedback!

Of the two, LOTR and One Ring. Which of them seems to be more "Tolkien like," Which of them is easiest to learn/ has fewer rules but is also less likely to have flaws in the mechanics?

The One Ring captures Tolkien better and is simpler, IMO. Haven't spent enough time with either system to know how they compare in terms of mechanical flaws.

But then, I can run a Tolkien-based game using d20, so I'm a bit odd.

fjw70

Adventurer
To emulate the movies I would pick 4e D&D and just use martial classes. 4e was greatly influenced by the Peter Jackson movies.

I have both the Decipher and TOR games but have never played them so I can't say much about them.

Well, you could use pretty much any fantasy rpg system to run Lord of the Rings without too much difficulty on that basis. However, I think the notion that '4e was greatly influenced by the Peter Jackson movies" when it introduced Teiflings, Dragonborn and 'at-will' spells, is as much of a stretch as describing Frodo as a Halfling Warlord...

Hammerforge

Explorer
What about either of these for Middle Earth: GURPS or HARP? I actually ran a ME campaign a number of years ago using HARP, and it turned out well.

EDIT: or Basic Roleplaying?

gweinel

Explorer
What about either of these for Middle Earth: GURPS or HARP? I actually ran a ME campaign a number of years ago using HARP, and it turned out well.

EDIT: or Basic Roleplaying?

I have not played neither HARP or GURPS, so I cannot judge the systems. However the big plus for The One Ring is that the rules were designed especially for the world of Tolkien, so they manage to capture the atmosphere of the Middle-Earth of the late 3rd Age almost perfectly. You will find many little things in the mechanics that you ll make you smile reminding you the original source of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

MortonStromgal

First Post
If shes played D&D 3.X/PF I'd go with LOTR as its fairly similar with enough Tolkien flair in the magic system to not be overly D&D (Very similar to LOTRO MMO in magic style, maybe too much magic for purists but no fireball slinging a few burning embers with the right components though). MERPs was far too much like Rolemaster IMHO to feel like Middle Earth but the source books are great and the system is deadly. The One Ring is the "right" choice but you have a learning curve you may not want to bother with. GURPS 3e has an excellent web site full of Middle Earth flavor that works really well. Also if you want a more action/movie flair you may look at the Savage Worlds fan creations. So decide how true you want to be to the source material, how much action you want, and if you want to learn a rule set. Once you answer that the choice should become clear.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases