• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low-Level Game, Newbies Welcome! [Closed]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have a friend who is new to EN world. [MENTION=6762909]shamgar001[/MENTION] here is something you might be interested in!

RMcCall

Explorer
No, definitely not Dark Sun. The setting is home-brew medieval dark ages, points-of-light campaign. There certainly are deserts though, and the "spellscarred" concept sounds awesome. Perhaps the primal essence is a "young" primal spirit trying to find a place in the world, who uses the warforged as a vessel.

Welcome, shamgar if you decide to join!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=6774892]RMcCall[/MENTION]: You have to admire players though, right?

DM: "Here's my dark ages fantasy world. It's points-of-light and it's kinda low key and some bad stuff happened. I have a wide variety of races and Magic is common; other powers, not so much. Also I'm sticking to the core D&D setting."

Players:
"I wanna be a faerie!"
"I wanna be a robot!"
"I wanna be a clone!"

RMcCall

Explorer
Haha, that's what I love about D&D! You can't plan for everything, which makes the story interesting to watch unfold. I've already got some fun ideas for working each of the backgrounds into a plot. Plus, my setting is pretty generic, so spicing it up won't hurt.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Goliath Wrestler: This would be my preferred, firstly so Elandra doesn't have to be the meatshield, and second for the awesome dialogue you'd get to do. Honestly, this is perfect: Stone Crusherrrrrr! He talks about himself in the third person, and narrates what he's doing to make everything sound epic.

"Stone Crusher doesn't like Orcs telling him what to do. Stone crusher gets angry... and you wouldn't like Stone Crusher when he ets angry!"

If it were me, I'd go barbarian, maybe hybrid fighter. Some kind of jumping focus (so he can leap off walls for a piledriver sort of deal). Maybe you could also have a mattock that's oddly chair-shaped...

I wouldn't want to do full on darksun, but I like the idea of starting in a city built on a ruin in a desert. Reminds me of the first Dragonlance books, when it was very much a post-apocalyptic setting, and they get to Tarsis: city in a desert that used to be an ocean, so it has docks that go nowhere.

Gosh, that just got my creative juices flowing! (which is why I just got called away from my laptop just as I was going to start writing for the day... @#%Q$W%!$#%!!!!!!)

Scott!!! I need a game with Scott De War in my life!!!! joinjoin join!!! :D

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION]: While a meatshield would be preferable, I don't generally enjoy Defenders. My Ranger/Druid is going to offer up two targets versus one and ideally pick off people one by one. Maybe I'll build it and see how it looks, but as I said earlier, my brain is stuck in "beast mode" atm.

Also, if you choose Defender, that's kinda your job. :D
[MENTION=6774892]RMcCall[/MENTION]: Well, you -are- the DM. If there are race/class etc. selections that aren't wanted in your setting, you're well within your right to say "no". If you give the ball to the players, they will do whatever they can get away with. :3

fireinthedust

Explorer
Leader first. Elandra looks like Tricia helfer. Who, mind you, is tough, but not the kind to be punch drunk.

Wrestler.could be fun. If we don't get more players, could I run two?

RMcCall

Explorer
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION]: Yeah, if we can't manage to recruit anyone else, you and/or someone else can play two. I could play another too. But I'd leave this thread open in case someone else wants to join in, and they'd take over one of the extra characters (I'd prefer not to have to do a "Gandalf has to go do other stuff, but look, Legolas has joined to help out" situation).

@ Everybody: Since we're starting at 5, you've been on adventures before, either together or separately. Once we have a full team we can decide what the deal is with that. But having this one take place in a desert works with the plan I've been developing, if you want that wasteland feel.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads