• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Low Level Grapple-Shove Builds

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If I'm building the dirty fighter rather than the WWE star I might take Deception over Performance, but that's about it. Otherwise it looks like the right parts.

Shiroiken

Legend
Tavern Brawler is a pretty powerful setup for a grappling character. I saw a human fighter build that took it at level 1, who then took Shield Master at level 4 (pre-XGtE). Would attack with the shield as an improvised weapon, initiating a grapple, then drop them prone with the shield as a bonus action. While they didn't do much damage themselves, they would combo with the barbarian (Great Weapon Master) and rogue (Sneak Attack) to basically obliterate one target a round.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Interesting thread. I was thinking of my second character as being a rogue, but I wanted more of a brute, and the discussion here as giving me some food for thought. Thanks to all! :)

Myzzrym

Explorer
Tavern Brawler is a pretty powerful setup for a grappling character. I saw a human fighter build that took it at level 1, who then took Shield Master at level 4 (pre-XGtE). Would attack with the shield as an improvised weapon, initiating a grapple, then drop them prone with the shield as a bonus action. While they didn't do much damage themselves, they would combo with the barbarian (Great Weapon Master) and rogue (Sneak Attack) to basically obliterate one target a round.

I thought about it too, but it wouldn't add anything to the game play aside from dealing 1d4 worth of improvised weapon damage during the first round, for an entire feat.

What you do is: Attack with improvised Weapon which gives you free grapple check, then bonus action shove with shield.

What I do without the feat: Grapple check which count as an attack, then bonus action shove with shield. So I have one extra feat for 1d4 worth of damage during that setup round.

Unless I'm missing something here, I feel like it's not worth it.

@dnd4vr: That's exactly what I wanted to do! Sneaky rogues are fairly common, but bouncers / brutes?

Shiroiken

Legend
So I have one extra feat for 1d4 worth of damage during that setup round.

You get to add your Str modifier to the damage too, so it's 1d4+Str, not just 1d4. Assuming at least a 16 Str, you're looking at an average of +5.5 damage, plus you can continue to attack with the shield with your proficiency modifier if your allies don't kill it (otherwise you have to spend an action to drop the shield, attack without proficiency, or release the grapple).

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
When prone, if you grapple with one hand and shiv with the other you get to add you sneak attack and your STR to the damage of every attack (well, one SA per round) until they break the grapple. There has to be a build that can make some good use of that. Are there options other than the Monk and Battlemaster that have knock prone attacks? I really want to make the prison ambush thing work.:cool:

Mister-Kent

Explorer
I DM'd a mid-tier round-robin game last week where one of our players is "Shield Girl", a Lvl 5 Fighter (Eldritch Knight)/ Level 3 Rogue. She only uses a shield in combat and successfully shoved 2 of my bugbear warriors off a very tall bridge. I forget the exact build but she was quite effective!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I thought about it too, but it wouldn't add anything to the game play aside from dealing 1d4 worth of improvised weapon damage during the first round, for an entire feat.

What you do is: Attack with improvised Weapon which gives you free grapple check, then bonus action shove with shield.

What I do without the feat: Grapple check which count as an attack, then bonus action shove with shield. So I have one extra feat for 1d4 worth of damage during that setup round.

@dnd4vr: That's exactly what I wanted to do! Sneaky rogues are fairly common, but bouncers / brutes?

Tavern Brawler actually slows you down a bit since it costs your bonus action to grapple after you hit with the unarmed strike (it isn't free), thus not allowing you to shove as a bonus action with Shield Master until the next round.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@Myzzrym: So, just FYI I decided to go with a human bard (valor) with a pirate background and the tavern brawler feat. Using point-buy, ended up with:

STR 16, DEX 12, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14.

I decided on the valor bard due to medium armor, shields, and martial weapons at level 3. Then at 4th, I can take Shield Master. Valor bard also gives me Expertise in Athletics (gained as a Sailor/Pirate). Also, the bard spells can be handy and at 6th level gain Extra Attack. Enhance Ability (also learned at 3rd level) will give me advantage on STR checks when I really need it.

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread since it gave me a lot to think of for the character I needed.

Myzzrym

Explorer
@Myzzrym: So, just FYI I decided to go with a human bard (valor) with a pirate background and the tavern brawler feat. Using point-buy, ended up with:

STR 16, DEX 12, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14.

I decided on the valor bard due to medium armor, shields, and martial weapons at level 3. Then at 4th, I can take Shield Master. Valor bard also gives me Expertise in Athletics (gained as a Sailor/Pirate). Also, the bard spells can be handy and at 6th level gain Extra Attack. Enhance Ability (also learned at 3rd level) will give me advantage on STR checks when I really need it.

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread since it gave me a lot to think of for the character I needed.

Ohhh damn, you're making an excellent point! I completely forgot about Valor Bard got Shield proficiency, saving me a feat (I had to take moderately armored for rogue). Darn, now I am wondering if I want to go Valor Bard again... It's a toss up between:
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster): Sneak Attack, Cunning Action (to drag grappled people away), Uncanny Dodge / Evasion but one less feat and less spells and mostly confined to Illusions / Enchantment
  • Bard (Valor): Spells, Jack of All Trades, free shield proficiency but no sneak attack so lower damage output potential and later expertise (lvl3) meaning early game plan is a little different. And it's going to be more tiresome to RP as well with his bombastic personality.

Remove ads