• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Coils of Flame

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
GM: No problem on the posting - I intend to set a pretty relaxed pace for this game, as almost everyone (including me) has a hectic RL schedule and lots of other PbP commitments as well. My apologies are for not getting my expectations and house rules up in the first post yet. I'm counting on the fact that you're all veteran players both of the game and in LPF to get me past that lapse until I can get them up :D.

I've got a fairly busy weekend planned, but no idea how it'll turn out in reality. I'll try to get at least the description of the entrance and the first room put up this afternoon/evening so we can move forward.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
GM: First post updated with expectations and some environmental rules.

Preparations made, the group moves with varying degrees of stealth through the creepy wood to the cave entrance. The entrance proves to be a rough opening in the cliff wall, roughly ten feet wide and 15 feet high. Rumbling echoes from within, and the cave is filled with wispy steam, making it difficult to see within. The steam is lit from within the cave by flickering red glow.

Some thirty feet into the cave you see a stone table with what look from here to be shackles attached to the four corners. Nothing else is apparent to you from here.

CoilsofFlame01_zps44669879.png

Satin Knights

First Post
Arianna moves ahead cautiously. Using the stone table as a bit of cover, she inspects the rest of the room for dangers or interesting anomalies. The steam bothers her, for water is supposes to lay low and caress, not float in the air and obscure.
[sblock=actions]Double stealthy move to F14, Vision=Low Light + Darkvision
Stealth (1d20+2=9) not really stealthy
Perception (1d20+16-2=15) at least nat 1 isn't a total failure for skills
Resist Fire 10 should protect her from the heat conditions.[/sblock][sblock=mini-stat]Arianna Mermaid ~ Perception +8, Sense Motive +6, Stealth -1, Low Light Vision
Base HP 55/0, AC 14, 13 T, 13 FF, Init +2
Current HP: 55
, Current AC: 18
CMB +3, CMD 15, Fort +6, Reflex +4, Will +9 . . Move 15'
MW Long Spear +4, d8 with 10' reach
MW DW Spear Gun +6, d8
Dagger +3, d4 or thrown +5, d4

Active Enhancements: -
In hand: none

Consumables: 15 spear gun bolts, 20 cold iron bolts, 10 days rations,
. . .... . . . . . . . 1 potions of Cure Light Wounds, (in scarf)
. . .... . . . . . . . 1 potions of Enlarge Person, Ant Haul, Summon Eidolon, Spider Climb (in scarf)
. . .... . . . . . . . 1 vial of anti-toxin, 1 holy water (in scarf)
. . .... . . . . . . . 1 potion of Cure Light Wounds (crutch)
. . .... . . . . . . . 1 potion of Lesser Restoration, 1 vial of anti-toxin (in backpack)
.......................1 wand of Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon (47 charges)
.......................1 wand of Cure Light Wounds (49 charges)

Summon Monster III: 7/day, 0 used
.Cantrips: unlimited Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Drench, Jolt, Guidance, Breeze
. Orisons: unlimited Stabilize, Detect Poison, Purify Food/Drink
1st Level: 5/day, 1 used Mage Armor, Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon, Shield, Enlarge Person, Feather Fall, Life Conduit
1st Level: Memorized Bless, Divine Favor, Longstrider(d)
2nd level: 3/day, 0 used Haste, Lesser Evolution Surge, See Invisibility
Lesser Rod of Extend: 3 charges/day, 2 used
Ring of ForceFangs: 6/9 charges currently
Channel Positive Energy:
7/day, 0 used 1d6 healing
Interrupt Abilities: Move HP from Arianna (real) to Teq (temp) to keep above zero

Beast (Teq Oola) ~ Perception +16, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +2, 60' Darkvision and Low Light Vision
Base HP 55 Real / 42 Temp, AC 28, 12 T, 26 FF, Init +2, Resists: Fire 10
Current HP: 55/42, Current AC: 28
CMB +8, CMD 20, Fort +8, Reflex +6, Will +11. . Move 40'

Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw +8+1, d6+4+1 Arcane Strike + 1d6 shock +1 Magic Fang, arms have 10' reach, legs 5'
MW Longspear +9, d8+6+1 Arcane Strike with 10' reach
MW Darkwood Speargun +7, d8+1 Arcane Strike
Dagger +8, d4+4 or thrown +6, d4+4+1 Arcane Strike
Jolt +6, d3, RTA spell

Active Enhancements: Evasion, Extended Mage Armor (6 of 12 hours), Magic Fang (14 hours)
In hand: longspear
Conditions: AC 28
Arianna_merged_headshot.png
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Anaerion follows the group in the back, but unlike the rest of the party keeping quiet, cannot control the voice of Malkovian
"Hey, Anaeiron, why is everyone so quiet? Are we trying to not get caught or something?"

Heinrich is about o hush whoever is talking, but is unsure who to hush. With a look that could have been a curse he turns to the stone table with the restraints. He leans close to Anaerion and says, "Sacrifice to open das gate to elemental plane uf fire?" He asks in a whisper.

[sblock=relevant information]
perception/stealth: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12
1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22

[sblock=Ablative barier]
Invisible layers of solid force surround and protect the target, granting that target a +2 armor bonus to AC. Additionally, the first 5 points of lethal damage the target takes from each attack are converted into nonlethal damage.

Against attacks that already deal nonlethal damage, the target gains DR 5/—.

Once this spell has converted 5 points of damage to nonlethal damage per caster level (maximum 50 points), the spell is discharged.[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats]
Initiative: +2 Perception: +2 (low-light vision)
AC: 14 (10 flat-footed, 12 Touch )
HP: 26 Current: 26
BAB +3 CMB: +3 CMD:15 Fort: +4 Reflex: +6 Will: +8

Current Conditions in Effect: Abative barrier (6 hours/30 points)
Current Weapon in Hand: dagger

consumables:
Wand cure light [50]
Wand magic missile [50]
rations [30 days]

School Focus: fire elementalist
Fire jett (dc 17): 00000 000
fire resistance 5
fire sepremacy
combat casting

Spells Prepared:
Level 0
: Detect Magic, Resistance, open/close, Acid Splash,

Level 1 [pearl of power - 0 0 0 ]
: Compreheng lang., Enlarge person, burning hands [*,ev, E ], featherfall, Magic Missile

Level 2 [pearl of power - 0]
: burning hands of acid [*,ev, E, A ], Scorching ray [ev, E], Levitate, resist energy, flaming sphere [ev, E]

Level 3
: Haste, dispel magic, ablative barrier, fire ball [**, ev, E]

Save DC:
General: 14 + SL
Evocation: 16 + SL
Elemental (Fire): 15 + SL
Evoc + (Fire): 17 + SL

notes
( - ) denotes a cast spell
(*) cast at +1 level (trait)
(**) cast at +2 levels (Feat)
(E) elemental: flame school
(ev) evocation
(A) denotes changed to acid
(&) takes 2 spell slots to cast
(#) recalled via pearl of power
(E,A) denotes 50% fire/50% acid
[/sblock][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka and Drevezh'korol, summoner and wood man

Drevezh'korol continues to move along with Arianna though he is much, much quieter. He looks over at the merfolk woman and winks one leafy eyelid before turning to look over the room.

"Eerie glow, torturous table or alter." Drevezh'korol shakes his head and peers at the table for signs of fresh blood. "And this steam... bah!" He wipes condensation that immediately begins to form around the icy rune on forehead. Unfortunately the rune isn't enough to provide any measurable cooling.

Elenka continues some steps back from Drevezh'korol and Arianna and pauses when they pause at the table. "Give me snow and cold any day," she mutters.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]Drev Perception: 1d20+9-2=12
Drev Stealth: 1d20+11=24[/sblock]

• • • Elenka Danyllova • • •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 7
Initiative: +2 Perception: +9

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed) Current AC: 16
HP: 51 Current: 51
CMB: +6 CMD: 18 Fort: +2 Ref: +4 Will: +7

In Hand:
Conditions:
Spells:
  • 1st level: 5/5 remaining.
  • 2nd level: 3/4 remaining.
  • 3rd level: 0/2 remaining.
Special:
Summon Monster 4 7/7
Bond Senses 7/7 rounds remaining
Maker's Call 1/1 remaining
Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +2 Perception: +9; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 22 (12 touch; 20 flat-footed) Current AC: 24/12/22 (Ablative Barrier)
HP: 56 Current: 56
CMB: +13 CMD: 25 Fort: +6 Ref: +4 Will: +5 (+9 vs. enchantment)

In Hand: slam +15 (2d6+12 +1d6 acid +1d6 fire)
Conditions:Extended Greater Magic Fang (+1/+1; 14/14 hours); Ablative Barrier (+2 AC, 35/35 pts., 7/7 hours)[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"heat, I like, but das water in air, nicht goot"

[sblock=relevant information]
perception/stealth: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12
1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22

[sblock=Ablative barier]
Invisible layers of solid force surround and protect the target, granting that target a +2 armor bonus to AC. Additionally, the first 5 points of lethal damage the target takes from each attack are converted into nonlethal damage.

Against attacks that already deal nonlethal damage, the target gains DR 5/—.

Once this spell has converted 5 points of damage to nonlethal damage per caster level (maximum 50 points), the spell is discharged.[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats]
Initiative: +2; Perception: +2; (spell: low-light vision)
AC: 14 (10 flat-footed, 12 Touch )
HP: 26 Current: 26
BAB +3 CMB: +3 CMD:15 Fort: +4 Reflex: +6 Will: +8

Current Conditions in Effect: Ablative barrier (6 hours/30 points)
Current Weapon in Hand: dagger

consumables:
Wand cure light [50]
Wand magic missile [50]
rations [30 days]

School Focus: fire elementalist
Fire jett (dc 17): 00000 000
fire resistance 5
fire supremacy
combat casting
cast any spell from spell book through pendant - once per day

Spells Prepared:
Level 0
: Detect Magic, Resistance, open/close, Acid Splash,

Level 1 [pearl of power - 0 0 0 ]
: Comprehend lang., Enlarge person, burning hands [*,ev, E ], feather fall, Magic Missile

Level 2 [pearl of power - 0]
: burning hands of acid [*,ev, E, A ], Scorching ray [ev, E], Levitate, resist energy, flaming sphere [ev, E]

Level 3
: Haste, dispel magic, ablative barrier, fire ball [**, ev, E]

Save DC:
General: 14 + SL
Evocation: 16 + SL
Elemental (Fire): 15 + SL
Evoc + (Fire): 17 + SL

notes
( - ) denotes a cast spell
(*) cast at +1 level (trait)
(**) cast at +2 levels (Feat)
(E) elemental: flame school
(ev) evocation
(A) denotes changed to acid
(&) takes 2 spell slots to cast
(#) recalled via pearl of power
(E,A) denotes 50% fire/50% acid
[/sblock][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
"Hmm..." Anaerion says, knealing close enough to the bindings to get a better look at it. Muttering a spell, Anaerion tries probing it for any special magic (Detect Magic), and also tries to understand what sort of thing this is.

[sblock=Mowgli]
Anaerion is going to attempt to see if this thing is magical in nature. Then, start using Arcana/Dungeonering/Planes to determine what sort of item this is. I will have to wait till I am at home to roll, since work blocked Invisble Castle.

Note that there is a very high chance the MWK Spellcraft book is going to disapear, so i only have a +17 normally, and a +19 for ID'ing magic items.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats]
Initiative: +9 Perception: +2 (low-light vision)
AC: 13 (10 flat-footed, 13 Touch )
HP: 58 Current: 58
CMB: +2 CMD:15(10ff) Fort: +5 Reflex: +6 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect:
Current Weapon in Hand:

School Focus:
Shift: 20' Teleport as Dim Door. Does not Provoke AoO (9/9 remaining)
Summoner's Charm: Summoning Spells Last a total of 12 Rounds
Fast Study: Can Memorize Open Slots in 1 minute instead of 15 minutes
Dimensional Steps: 240 feet per day. Must be used in 5' increments

Malkovian: Happy for now.
Timely Inspiration: 3/3 Immediate Action, +2 Bonus, Range 60', Immediate action
Mage Hand: At will. Controllable by Malkovian/ Anaerion
Bonus Power: Anaerion does not know this power.
Bonus Boon: Anaerion does not know this power.

Spells Prepared:
Level 0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Acid Splash, Mending
Level 1: Greasex2* (DC 18),Protection From Evil,Magic Missilex2 4d4+4,Unseen Servant,Mage Armor
Level 2: Glitterdust,Invisibility,Mirror Image,Web*,Create Pit,[OPEN SLOT]
Level 3: Haste,Summon Monster 3 *,Fly,Dispel Magic,[OPEN SLOT]
Level 4: Summon Monster 4,Persistant Glitterdust (DC 19),Phantom Chariot,[OPEN SLOT]
Arcane Bond: Available
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The group makes its way through the cave complex and into the first room with varying degrees of alertness and stealth. Reeking trails of steam and acrid smoke eddy in the eerie light shed by flickering reddish flame that pops and whistles erratically from a crack in the cavern floor close to the eastern wall. The floor of the cavern is covered with rocks and rubble of various sizes. On approaching the table and giving closer inspection, it certainly looks like some sort of sacrifices have been made thereon.

Anaerion's casting reveals no magical auras from the table or the manacles themselves, but there is something magical under the top slab . . . an aura of Conjuration magic oozes faintly through the porous rock. A little investigation reveals a compartment/shelf carved into the altar below the slab; within is a ceramic rod about a foot long with a chicken's foot tied to one end. It is from this object - a wand - that the aura projects. The Draconic words მოდის მეოთხე carved along the length are likely the commands.

[sblock=OOC]In my last GMing foray I had to redo battle maps several times due to players using good tactics - moving in and out of rooms, etc - which caused me to have to go back and add on areas I'd not previously included. In an effort to avoid this I'm going to try posting the entire map each time. Hopefully I've got it at high enough res that everyone can discern which tokens belong to whom. Let me know if you need me to do anything differently, and I'll try to accommodate you (no promises, though :devil:).[/sblock]

[sblock=Map]
CoilsofFlame02_zps97022b9f.png
[/sblock]

Remove ads