[LPF] Faith and Good Works

perrinmiller

Villager
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera puts the third key with the other two. Sheathing her sword she smiles as well.

"Certainly. That was well done, indeed. But, I agree the day has been long and these initial tests were possibly the easy part. Once we use the keys we might need to be at our best."

"Where shall we camp? Do you want to spend the night in the room behind the painting?"


She heads back in that direction and pats the waiting husky on the head.

The dog has been wagging his tail, happy for the attention. But he is secretly very jealous that he was not allowed to play with the constructs in the chambers. It was all a big game of chase and he is good at chasing. He gives a chastising bark to his mistress after her petting finishes.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 10/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 3/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak
 

Systole

Community Supporter
GM: I have Fury at 48824 XP as of the close of business today, in case you want to spend DMC to bump him, GE. Everyone else is a ways out from levelling.

Also, I'm rather glad that you figured out the trick before you had to fight the berserks. If you went in there with your normal flanking/skirmisher type tactics, it would have been ouchie-time.
 

GlassEye

Community Supporter
OOC: Thanks, Systole. I've been running a bit behind this week with New Years, etc. but I plan on getting Fury bumped up to 9 this weekend or sooner if possible.
 

GlassEye

Community Supporter
"Yes, the hidden room would be safest, in my not so humble opinion."

The rogue grins at his companions and operates the trick to the room to raise the door and closes it when everyone has entered. Once inside, however, Fury doesn't immediately settle down to rest: he paces back and forth between two of the statues. Eventually he pulls out his rapier and runs through a few exercises then sheathes it and draws out his sap and performs some exercises with it. Finally, to his companions' great relief he puts his weapons away and settles for the night.

[sblock=OOC]OK, Fury is updated for level 9 and ready to continue on when the rest of you are.[/sblock]


• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand:
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]
 

Systole

Community Supporter
The night passes uneventfully, but it is a long night. The husky paces well past midnight, and it takes the party members a long time to fall asleep as well. The insidious thrum from below is more noticeable through a bedroll than through the soles of a pair of sturdy travelling boots, and it makes for a somewhat restless few hours. Eventually, morning comes and everyone finds themselves groggy and uncomfortable, but having rested at least well enough to function.

GM: Nothing bothered you during the night, except the vibration got on everyone's nerves. There are no mechanical effects.
 

GlassEye

Community Supporter
Fury wakes early, or what he supposes is early. He stretches and twists causing his back and neck to pop and crack. After breaking his fast on rations and feeding the scraps to Carak (with Cythera's permission) he is finally ready to be at least a small amount of sociable.

"So. We have the keys. I say we go see what that infernal rumbling is and, you know, do all that other stuff we came here to do."

He takes a deep breath and heads over to the secret door panel. Feeling suddenly cautious he puts an ear to the stone and listens before activating the door. If he hears nothing he'll go ahead and open the door.


• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand:
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

The night before, Cythera took note of the man's rapier work. So after they finish the morning routine, she intends to practice something with Fury.

But, first nature is calling. And not just her.

"Sure, but first I need to get outside and... Well, Carak needs to find a tree."

"After that, I have an idea about a combat technique we could try, Fury."


Carak is pawing at the door, wanting to be let out of the chamber where he has been cooped up for several hours.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 10/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 3/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak

OOC: I did have a post for the night before drafted, but since we advanced I can save it for after our characters finish their morning ablutions. It will still be valid. :)
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Bren wakes early - years of Monastery routine aren't done away with in a few weeks, even if one is wont to break them - and move about the room quietly as the others finish their restless sleep. He settles easily against the wall, centering himself and breathing, then breathing, then just sitting. As Fury begins to stir he comes up from his reflection and watches the rake through his own form of meditation.

When the others are ready, Breninyr is ready to move on as well.
______________


[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (19 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 62/62
CMB: +8 CMD: 26 (+10/28 Bull Rush)(+10/28 Grapple)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +08 Will: +17

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]
 

Systole

Community Supporter
There is no noise from the other side of the sliding panel, and the chamber is just as you left it the night before. Outside, the day is clear and cold. There is no sign of any activity save for a few distant hawks wheeling over an updraft in the distance, and the occasional skittering of a ground squirrel.

GM: When you want to advance, head over to the door with the three keyholes.
 

GlassEye

Community Supporter
Fury breathes deeply of the cold mountain air.

"A bit thinner than the air in Venza, eh?" He glances over at Carak then Cythera. "You said you have an idea about a combat technique? Some fancy footwork I could use? A chasse, maybe?" He grins so that she knows his kidding is just that and not serious.


• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand:
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera follows the husky as it raced ahead to reach the outside.

Carak immediately begins sniffing around as he bee-lines to the nearest tree and begins the process of marking off a perimeter around area. It takes several stops with such a full bladder.

After marking her own tree from behind a bush, Cythera pulls out her dueling weapon, the large two-handed sword. After a few limbering dance step maneuvers to warm up, she offers to the roguish man, "Well, I saw some of your rapier dancing last night. You should try this maneuver, Fury. Imagine you are on that side, and I am over here."

With a cross-over step, that slides her body to the right and into a whirling have turn, the swordswoman is able to capitalize on the momentum of her slashing swing at thigh level. Imagining a foe caught between them and having to divide his attention, Fury can see the added precision to an already potentially devastating blow.

"What do think?"

Carak gives a chuff of noncommittal, not terribly impressed with using weapons to slash at the air.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 10/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 3/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak
 

GlassEye

Community Supporter
Fury nods slowly as he watches Cythera's balletic demonstration of combat then draws his rapier and moves to stand opposite her with enough space for an imaginary opponent.

"Yes, I think I understand what you did there. And the ultimate outcome you intend."

He salutes the sword-dancer with his rapier then settles into a loose, low-guard stance to entice attack. He performs a similar cross-step turning to present his right side and drawing a circle to parry a blow from their imaginary opponent with the tip of his rapier instead of the powerful slash that Cythera used. The speed of the action allows him to follow up with a lunge, where he holds the position for a brief moment, then straightens nodding.

"The combination of your attack and mine should keep any opponent off balance and allow us to make more devastating attacks. Simple and elegant. We'll have to practice it to master it."

Despite his obvious interest in their practice session Fury's eyes flick back towards the entrance to the Architect's tomb.

"I'm warmed up, revitalized with this cool air but ready to try those keys."


• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand:
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Breninyr watches with interest as Cythera walks through her technique, and Fury follows up adroitly.

"Well done! Very pretty, and should be effective as well!"
______________


[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (19 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 62/62
CMB: +8 CMD: 26 (+10/28 Bull Rush)(+10/28 Grapple)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +08 Will: +17

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera continues a few more of her advanced dancing steps with the large sword weaving around her body. Shifting her technique she practices the defensive maneuvers as well, designed to ward off attacks at the expense of putting her full strength into the blows.

Finished she puts her large sword away and switches to her glaive. She smiles and tells the husky, "We might be in there for a while. You better pee again. Go on."

The dog, has a canine smile tongue hanging out. But Carak sniffs around and lifts his leg one more time at a tree and trots back, proud of himself by the looks of it.

"Okay, I think we are ready. Bren, can you take the keys and try them. I wish to stand ready with my polearm."

Cythera holds the keys out for the man and will follow him to the door.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 10/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 3/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC: Sorry - couldn't reply when I read pm's post, and then forgot . . .

Bren accepts the keys from Cythera with a decisive nod and a smiile. "That makes sense, I suppose. Just leave me some room to get back past you if there's something on the other side that needs your . . . attention."
______________


[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (19 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 62/62
CMB: +8 CMD: 26 (+10/28 Bull Rush)(+10/28 Grapple)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +08 Will: +17

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]
 

Systole

Community Supporter
As Bren approaches the door, keys in hand, he feels a slight tingle in the metal. There's a spark of magic as each one slides into place, and a low rumble as the door opens of its own accord.

The passage revealed by the door is outfitted in white marble, and it leads into a white marble chamber that is identical in shape and size to the others that you have seen. However, it is very different in layout. On the far side of the chamber, a stairway leads further into the tomb. Between you and the stairway is an array of 49 tiles, each about 5 feet square and etched with a single letter. Crossing the room requires traversing the tiles in some way, as the sides of the room are closed off with magic veils, and it seems likely that they are of the impermeable sort. Not far from the tiles, there is an inscription in the floor, which reads simply:
Serroth Guide Thye Steppes

The mechanical vibration you've heard is definitely louder in here, and Carak puts his ears back and whines. It seems to be emanating from the far side, down the stairs.

[sblock=Tile arrangement]
[/sblock]
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The priest looks at the tile arrangement for a moment, his expression first thoughtful then excited. "Serroth! There's a way to cross using adjoining tiles that spell out 'Serroth!'" His enthusiasm grows as he continues. "Look, start here at this 'S' and move forward, then forward and left, then forward and left again, then forward and right, then forward, and finally forward and left!"
______________


[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (19 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 62/62
CMB: +8 CMD: 26 (+10/28 Bull Rush)(+10/28 Grapple)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +08 Will: +17

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

Community Supporter
Fury stares at the symbols on the floor matching the letters from Serroth's name in the saying to that stretched across the floor that Breninyr pointed out. He nods smiling after he's pieced it together for himself.

"Good work, Breninyr."

Confidently striding from the S tile to the E tile and then the remaining letters of Serroth's name in order, R - R - O - T - H, Fury crosses the room.


• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand:
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera looks surprised at how quickly Bren figured it out.

"Very well done! We are surely getting the hang of Serroth's thinking."

Though she waits with Carak, wanting to see if Fury makes it across safely. She restrains the husky to make sure he doesn't follow yet.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 10/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 3/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak
 

Advertisement

Top