log in or register to remove this ad

 

[LPF] No Loitering

jkason

First Post
No Loitering

GM: jkason
Judge: [MENTION=6666968]Satin Knights[/MENTION]
Adventure Start: 10/24/2014

Wilmorn Fiedlerson ( [MENTION=6780165]grtrtle[/MENTION] ):
Start: 0 xp (lvl 1)

Erin Vaneese ( [MENTION=6700202]Anastrace[/MENTION] ):
Start: 0 xp (lvl 1)

Aszar Kzolp ( [MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION] ):
Start: 0 xp (lvl 1)

Siddhartha the Hunter ( [MENTION=6778347]FrancisJohn[/MENTION] ):
Start: 0 xp (lvl 1)

Kepli Stormborn ( [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] ):
Start: 0 xp (lvl 1)


[sblock=Rules (subject to amendment)]I hate that I have to start with this, but I've been burned on it before, so:

We're all ostensibly here to have fun. I know I am. With so many anti-charismatic characters, I wouldn't be surprised if there were prickly RP. This is totally appropriate and can be fun all on its own. If, that is, everyone remembers: it's all pretend.

People's skins come in varying thicknesses, though. Even if you don't intend to insult someone, that doesn't mean he or she might not feel insulted. Please keep that in mind. That goes the other way, as well: try not to assume insult where 'coarse RP' might be a reasonable explanation for something. Most of you are playing characters designed to be fairly unlikeable; don't feign shock if they aren't fawned over.

If in doubt, check OOC with the other player to make sure you aren't crossing a line. Be polite. Have fun. You're all adults. I'm not your mother, father, social worker, psychiatrist, or babysitter. Don't ask me to be.

Now for the crunchy stuff. Much of this liberally adapted from people who do this better than me:

* I use group initiative to try to keep encounters from stalling, which I'll roll. For newbies, this means I'll roll the collective init for each side of a combat encounter, and whoever gets the highest total has initiative.

When it's your side's turn, actions happen in the order people post them. This can be important for tactical considerations, and for measuring the ends of durations. If something ends on a player's turn (e.g. buffs) it ends when he / she posts that round, not when the whole party has posted. Keep it in mind.

You're welcome to post placeholders ("I'll wait until X character acts") or conditionals ("If X does this, I'll do Y. If not, I'll do Z").

If any single character on the losing side beats all the initiatives on the winning one, that person will get to act first in the surprise round if there is one; the 1st round if there's no surprise. Basically, high initiative gets you an extra action out of order.

* Other than initiative and saving throws (again, to help keep things moving), feel free to roll for yourself. Actually, don't feel it; do it, and use something you can link to. Invisible Castle or Coyote Code are fine. "I rolled my dice on my end table and it says I have two crit confirms," on the other hand, does not fly, swim, climb, or burrow. Link it or it didn't happen.

* I will do my best to post once a day on weekdays. Weekends are a crap shoot. I subscribe to my threads, but it's possible I may miss something and / or there's a situation where we both think we're waiting on each other. If more than two weekdays go by and I haven't posted an update, feel free to hit me with a mention to nudge me.

Likewise, if I haven't seen any kind of post from a player in 2-3 days, I may NPC that character. I won't send you jumping into a volcano, but I can't promise I'll make the same choice you would in a given situation. If you know you're going to be gone, I would be grateful if you posted SOP for your character during that time, and / or asked another player to make decisions for your character. I'd rather not be in the position of having to play both sides of an encounter. :)

If you're gone without notice for more than a week, you shouldn't be surprised upon your return to discover your character has wandered into the woods, gotten lost, and somehow wound up back in Venza and out of the adventure.

* If your character gets enough XP to level, they may do so at the end of an encounter. This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable. If you are adding a new class that requires special materials, like a wizard's spell book, please PM me a little ahead of time so I can work it in cleanly.

* Please us a mini-stats block in your posts. It saves some time when I need a reference. GlassEye's used to this kind of thing, so take a look at his post if you need a sample (Hi, GlassEye! Watch out for that bus. ;) ). It looks like everyone already has a picture for maps when I get that sorted, so no worries there.

* I make mistakes. I try not to, but that silly human fallibility keeps cropping up. Feel free to politely point them out if you notice them, and I'll do my best to make amends. Do realize that sometimes (rarely) Rule 0 may be in play, and it's not a bug; it's a feature. [/sblock]

[sblock=XP]Spider Encounter: 400xp total
Albuquerque Goblins: 670xp total
Orcs: 805xp total
Camp: 1270xp total[/sblock]
[sblock=Treasure]Spider Encounter:
Chain Shirt (100 gp)
Composite Longbow Str +2 (300 gp)

Albuquerque Goblins:

Small gobbers (each):
Leather armor (10 gp)
Light wood shield (3 gp)
Short sword (10 gp)
Shortbow (30 gp)
20 arrows (1 gp)
Unidentified vial (value unknown)
13 gp

Forward postion

Rage goblin:
Studded leather armor (25 gp)
Masterwork horsechopper (310 gp)
Shortbow (30 gp)
20 arrows (1 gp)
Bag of gems (value unknown)

On Berserker leader:
Scale mail (50 gp)
Greataxe (20 gp)
Two vials of ?? (??? gp)
Javelins (2) (2 gp)

On Orcs (each, so x3):
Studded leather armor (25 gp)
Falchion (75 gp)
Javelins (4) (4 gp)

Camp

Human:

+1 scale mail (1200 gp)
Heavy steel shield (20 gp)
Javelins (4) (4 gp)
Masterwork longsword (315 gp)
8 gp

Adept ("Shaman"):

Masterwork chain shirt (250 gp)
Javelins (2) (2 gp)
Masterwork morningstar (308 gp)

Orcs (each, so 2x the below):

Studded leather armor (25 gp)
Falchion (75 gp)
Javelins (4) (4 gp)
Potion CLW (1) (50 gp)[/sblock]
 

Attachments

  • No Loitering.xls
    198.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad


jkason

First Post
Back Room at The Dunn Wright Inn



The stern White Cloak is standing at the table when each of you enter. He gives the same greeting to each of you.

"Sit," he says, nodding to the empty chairs. He seems to be tallying people in his head, but won't speak another word until the fifth person enters. At that point, he marches back across the room and closes the door.

"I don't recognize any of you, which is good. That means you haven't managed to make my life more difficult yet. I'm Commander Galen Parsons, with the White Cloaks. You know, the professional, sworn peace keepers?"

He pushes on before anyone can object to the implications about the professionalism of adventurers.

"Coordinator Moretti's come into information that a group far more undesirable than 'adventurers' is gathering outside Venza. Unfortunately, while our intelligence has them uncomfortably close to The City of Glass, it puts them outside our jurisdiction.

"We could negotiate a temporary extension with the local Barony, but such a thing takes time and effort, and burns more than a few valuable favors. The Coordinator would very much like the problem solved sooner rather than later, so ...?"
he trails off, raising his eyebrow as he surveys the small gathering.

Parsons opens his mouth to say more, closes it with a pained expression. He pinches the bridge of his nose, eyes shut, as he says with clear chagrin, "The White Cloaks would like to procure ... freelance aid with the situation."

[sblock=ooc]Alrighty, folks, let's get this party started. Introductions, questions, what have you. Parsons is waiting, much as it seems he doesn't want to be. :) [/sblock]
 

Voda Vosa

First Post
Aszar stares blankly at the commander for a moment, assessing his exasperation. Contradictory as it was, he seems to be needing the help of someone not bound to the legal system. "And you want us to remove this problem... permanently?" he asks, unsure of how to manage the implications of killing people preemptively.
It was better to define such matters before hand, than at the heat of battle.
 

FrancisJohn

First Post
[sblock=Mini Stats]HP: 9/9
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
CMB: 5 CMD: 19
Fort: 1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3
Initiative: +6
Bluff: +13
Armed: Longbow (Deadly Aim) +4 d8+2 (Point-Blank +1/+1)
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4[/sblock]

Siddhartha nods in concurrence with Aszar. First, forced to kill. Now paid. Speaking to Galen, "Aye. Count me in."
 

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

Wilmorn looks from the fish man to the dangerous man to the white garbed man. My first job is...an assassination? The ranger shakes his head at the thought, certain he must have misunderstood. "Erm, good ser, have they done some something to warrant such drastic measures, or will it be suffcient to drive them away?"

"I mean, I know sometimes there's no talking sense in people, and if this is one of those times..." he adds quickly, not wanting to be dismissed for the work within his first utterances.
 

Anastrace

First Post
Erin Vaneese

175px-Erin_vaneese_cropped.png
Erin looks slightly uncomfortable when Wilmorn mentions the word assassination. "I'd also like to know Wilmorn, what have they done that you're arranging for their elimination?" she says with a curious look. "I'll still do it, I'm just curious."

Turning to the other assembled people, "I'm Erin Vaneese, I've met a few of you but good to meet the rest of you." flashing a fanged smile.
 

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

Drat! I never did introduce myself properly out there! The ranger quickly follows Erin's lead. "And I'm Wilmorn. Wilmorn of Oakhaven."

Belatedly, he realizes he did not cringe as the tiefling spoke. He frowns as he contemplates his lack of reaction.
 

GlassEye

First Post
Kepli Stormborn, shaman

[section]
Kepli looks around the room from where she is seated and briefly assesses the others gathered. She smooths out a few wrinkles in her skirt before clearing her throat in precursor to speaking up. She smiles, first at Parsons then the others gathered.

"I am Kepli Stormborn; it is a pleasure to meet the rest of you. First, Commander, let me tell you what skills I bring and then you can judge whether I am an appropriate candidate for the task you have at hand. I speak to spirits and they in turn will do certain things that I ask. They can heal minor wounds, or daze my enemies, or point out the auras of magic. I have fair skill at settling disputes." She laughs quietly, a throaty chuckle. "Which comes from dealing with arguing siblings and neighbors."

Kepli straightens in her seat. "Commander Parsons, my father always said, 'There's more than one way to skin a rat'. I'm sure that applies here as well. So we have an encroachment, but what is the desired outcome that we will be expected to bring about?"

Outside the room there seems to be some sort of disturbance as there are some raised voices and a bit of screeching. A moment later there comes a tap-tap-tapping on the meeting room door and Kepli blushes, hurriedly excuses herself to go to the door and open it a crack. She apologizes profusely to the person beyond and the reluctant rumble in response identifies Grog. A seagull darts through the crack in the door and alights on Kepli's chair. The bird is a fine specimen of seagull but looks more than a bit wild with its ruffled feathers and red-rimmed eyes.

Kepli shuts the door to the room and returns to her chair. She looks terribly embarrassed. "This is Scuttle."

[/section]

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Kepli[/size] Aasimar Shaman 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: +10 (+12 w/ Alertness)

AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +1 CMD: 12 Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +5

In Hand: Shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance
Special:
Concentration +6
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 1/1

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 6 Current: 6
CMB: +0 CMD: 6 Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +4

In Beak: Nothing
Conditions: None yet
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +4 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]
 

FrancisJohn

First Post
[sblock=Mini Stats]HP: 9/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: 5 CMD: 19
Fort: 1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Armed: Longbow (Deadly Aim) +4 d8+2 (Point-Blank +1/+1)
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4[/sblock]


Saving Kepli the embarrassment of the awkward silence following the arrival of her bird, Siddhartha gruffly speaks up. "My name is Siddhartha. I am good at three things.

Fasting.
Thinking.
Waiting.

I also know how to point, shoot, and kill."
 

jkason

First Post


Parsons listens to the group impassively. His brow furrows as the first several speak, though the building tension seems to melt a bit when Kepli speaks.

Then the bird knocks on the door, and Parsons, seeming a bit flummoxed, speaks.

"It sounds like many of you've already been talking to the wrong sorts of people," he says. "The White Cloaks aren't in the business of slitting people's throats in the night, not even with contracted labor.

"However, I can tell you that this isn't just a peaceful encampment of people we don't like the look of. Several of the individuals involved have been implicated in bandit raids on the low end, and things along the lines of what you thought I was asking you all to do on the high end. These are not good people. They are not misunderstood people.

"They also aren't the kind of people who generally gather, honestly. They hit, they hide. Often they hit each other. That they're positioned so noticeably, and just outside our reach, is deeply troubling given ... let's just say this group of troublemakers isn't the only problem we're dealing with. Any more than that would breach our own internal security.

"If the five of you have the means of collecting an entire camp of these people and dragging them back for questioning, then by all means,"
Parsons says, though his tone is clear in its doubt such a thing can be done.
"What we're after, though, is that the camp is broken up. These people gathered is an avalanche waiting to happen. Also, bring us any intelligence you can find about what convinced a bunch of backstabbing felons they should settle down and play house together."

Parsons raises an eyebrow, then, adding, "Most of these goons are murderers of one stripe or another. Feel free to do what you have to do to safeguard your own lives. I said we aren't in the business of contracting assassins. We also aren't keen on having our contractors killed."

He stands, surveying the room, awaiting any further questions.
 

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

The young woodsman sighs in relief. "So, just to be clear, we're to break them up, bring them in if we can. Killing them if forced to is ok, but not a...um...requirement for the task." Wilmorn scratches his head, trying to figure out if he's overlooking anything. "Oh, yeah, and bring back any information we can. Speaking of which, do you have more information as to where they have been spotted? Outside Venza and close to the city is a pretty big swath of area to cover."

Meanwhile, the man's count puzzled Wilmorn, as he counted six things mentioned. Nonetheless, he wasn't about to contradict such a menacing figure. He smiles at the intruding seagull. Somehow, seeing the bird warms Wilmorn to the dark-skinned woman a bit. "I'm Wilmorn. Oh, wait, I introduced myself already. I'm a ranger in training, and can handle myself out in the woods alright." He looks down at his gear uncomfortably. While beggars can't be choosers, it would've been nice if Master Martin had at least sent him off with a proper bow and a more comfortable polearm.

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Bardiche (+5, 1d10+6, 19-20/x2, slashing,reach,brace,+2 CMD resist sunder)
Conditions: None yet
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

FrancisJohn

First Post
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 9/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: 5 CMD: 19
Fort: 1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Armed: Longbow (Deadly Aim) +4 d8+2 (Point-Blank +1/+1)
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4[/sblock]
Siddhartha looks his host squarely in the eyes and gives a slight nod of confirmation, then proceeds to listen intently to the ranger speak.
 
Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Aszar looks stoically at the various introductions. He thinks it's not appropriate to disclosure his skills and abilities to a group of strangers. It was then that the seagull busted into the room. The turtle resting on Aszar's shoulders peeks its head out of his carapace to look sideways at the bird with more than intelligent eyes.
"I am regarded as Aszar Kzlop. I am considered a sage." the merfolk states, the last to introduce himself. "I agree on the terms specified, and would like to know the retribution we are to expect, and what to do with the spoils we come across..."
 

Attachments

  • merfolk.jpg
    merfolk.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 129

Anastrace

First Post
Erin Vaneese

175px-Erin_vaneese_cropped.png

Oh great Erin thought, a bird. Just what the menagerie needs. Better to stay on the good side of her and the fishman though she thought exasperatedly. She sighed. "I see, it's not the group itself that's the concern really. It's the fact that they've grouped to begin with. So intelligence and dispersal, by whatever means necessary. I think we can handle that." Her erudite tone, combined with her tail flicking about on the ground adds to her unnatural presence. She flicked up her spectacles. "When would we depart?"



[sblock=Erin Vaneese Mini Stats]

Erin Vaneese
AC:16 (11 flat-footed, 15 touch)
HP: 8/8
CMB: +1 CMD: 15

Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1
Perception: -1 Sense Motive: -1
Initiative: +4

Level 0 Spells Prepared: Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
Level 1 Spells Prepared: 1/1 Mirror Strike

Class Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Planes) +8, Linguistics +9, Profession (Cook) +3, Spellcraft +8, Stealth +11

Current Weapon in Hand:
Current Conditions in Effect:
Temporary items in possession:
Items not currently in possession:
Items depleted: none
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Kepli Stormborn, shaman

[section]
Kepli thinks the others have asked some very relevant questions and so she doesn't interrupt. The task for the Commander, however, has got her excited and she is already plotting out ways that they might accomplish it. She only needs to discuss things with her soon-to-be companions. She studies them briefly: the ranger, the big warrior, the merfolk sage, and the mysterious tiefling woman. Yes, she thought they would do quite fine.

"So, remuneration offered, location of the task and departure time, which I presume would be relatively soon and I believe we will be ready to begin. If we pass muster, that is." She raises her brow in question, wondering to herself whether they will be acceptable to the prickly Commander.

Scuttle hops around on the floor searching for bits of food dropped by previous occupants of the room and occasionally eyeing the turtle with a hungry stare.
[/section]

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Kepli[/size] Aasimar Shaman 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: +10 (+12 w/ Alertness)

AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +1 CMD: 12 Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +5

In Hand: Shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance
Special:
Concentration +6
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 1/1

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 6 Current: 6
CMB: +0 CMD: 6 Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +4

In Beak: Nothing
Conditions: None yet
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +4 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]
 

jkason

First Post


Parsons considers the group a moment, his gaze slightly doubtful as it rests on each one of them, but finally he shrugs and reaches into his backpack to produce several pieces of parchment rolled together and tied with nondescript twine. He holds it in his hand, gesturing with it as he speaks.

"Our people have a location on the camp, maybe a day from here on foot, depending on your land speed. We don't have much more than that. Like I said, it's outside our jurisdiction, and if White Cloaks wound up bumping into troops from the barony ... " he shakes his head. "Gods save us all from politics."

"Rates are Venzan government standard for contractors of your sort," Parsons continues to the question of payment. He glances to the merman to add, "And, yes, we assume you're planning to keep any extra goodies you happen to stumble on in the course of your endeavors. This isn't my first ride around the arena with adventurers.

"As to when you start, that's on you lot. Longer you wait, the better entrenched these folks will get. I also hear mumbling that they may be gathering more, so, again: sooner rather than later. But the timetable's up to you so long as you manage the objectives."

He tosses the roll of parchment to the table, then, nodding to it. "What we know, what your obligations are, and what we're offering are all in the contract." Here he produces an inkpen from his belt pouch and a small vial of ink, leaving them near the papers.

[sblock=ooc]Parsons isn't being intentionally vague about money. Venza's offer is, essentially, your Time Based Gold for the adventure, so the exact amount will just depend on how long the adventure runs. :)

There aren't any other special details to be read in the contract. It tells you where the camp is, and basically lays out what Parson's said: you disperse the camp through means which are at your discretion, return any intelligence that answers the who/what/when/where/why/how of the gathering, eh voila: profit. [/sblock]
 

FrancisJohn

First Post
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 9/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: 5 CMD: 19
Fort: 1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Armed: Longbow (Deadly Aim) +4 d8+2 (Point-Blank +1/+1)
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4[/sblock]
Siddhartha gives a quick squint over the document, as reading is not his strong point. He scrawls what only can be hoped is his name.
 

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

Wilmorn eagerly adds his name to the contract, nearly knocking the ink over in the process. After signing it, he realized he had not taken the time to read the contract. He quickly scans the parchment, and realized he completed the scan without reading a word of it. Flushed, he forced himself to slow down and read the words more carefully. Satisfied there was nothing suspicious in the words, he moves out of the way for the others and sit back down.

[sblock=ooc]Is there an easy way to get the ministat to show over and over, rather than having to copy/paste it every post?[/sblock]
 


Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top