log in or register to remove this ad

 

PF1E [LPF] Perception is Reality

Aura

Explorer
[section]
"Well, I certainly wish to go to the temple of Ruvarla first," Ethane responds, head craning towards Barlo. "Although, I must confess, it is for more reasons than my own personal agenda. It is not only lit up, but seems to be more, hmm... real, than the rest of this place." With that, his words trail off and he stares at the other religious buildings as if to compare.
[/section]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

jbear

First Post
"Ruvarla ... te Huntress? Hmmm ... like te night fly to te flame? Are we hunter or hunted? Ok ... let us go and see if it is te trap. We can learn te lot from te hunter when we see te hunter's trap." Maui seems fairly sure that the lit building is some sort of obvious ruse. His manner of dealing with danger is to make himself as dangerous as possible. His body rippled, popped and snapped as he retook the form of a dire tiger. Taniwha moved up to his side, sensing his master's wariness. His hackles raised and ears flat against his head, he padded along next to Maui, equally as alert to hidden dangers.
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo, too, makes himself dangerous. He tests the blades then swishes it in the air making it sing its deadly song.

"I am ready." He smiles a mirthless smile.

[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 25 (21 flat-footed, 19 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 28 (23 flat-footed, 24 touch)

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2


Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow, composite, mighty +2

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/]
 

Aura

Explorer
"Well, we should be ready for anything, then," Ethane concludes, hefting his spear. "There is no telling when we could find something of interest." With that, the Ruvalran steps towards his temple.

The large front doors of the house of worship are not terribly fancy, but they do open with ease, evidence of their craftsmanship. Casual observation reveals the details of the place to be seemingly real, unlike the vast expanses of only roughly-rendered features in the darker areas. The inside of the temple seems tranquil, several people converse as you enter, one of them, most likely a priest of some kind, looks up as you enter, taking not of your presence. He nods to the person he is talking to, and breaks away, stepping in your direction. He is about 6' tall and is obviously powerfully built, and has short brown hair and a neatly trimmed beard and mustache. The man seems about ready to address you when, suddenly, the world warps out of control....

None of the essential details of the place change. However, it's immediately obvious that you are now in the midst of a rather large group of people, frantically trying to keep something out. The doors you just went through are slightly ajar, and people push pew benches against them to try and keep them from opening further. A large man, possibly one of the several you saw mere moments ago, thrusts his long spear through the parted doors (about 1' of opening), connecting with something on the outside then pulling it back from another strike, tip coated in some sort of ichor. He yells, "Push, people, push! We need to get that door barred!"

[sblock=DC 18 Will save]Go ahead and roll your saves for yourselves, since you can do so and then begin to respond appropriately. If you fail, you are overwhelmed by the seeming reality and excitement of the situation and treat it as reality. If you succeed, the abrupt change and the semi-translucent imagery pull you out of the situation and you realize it is little more than some sort of illusion. In either case, it's not quite combat yet, so you don't need initiative unless further actions precipitate a battle.[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Barlo was confused as one minute he looked to be about to converse with some people and abruptly an attack was occurring. He had not thought they were being followed by whatever menace that was now trying to get into the temple.

“What in the blazes?” he looked carefully around him. It was clearly an illusion to him.

“This cannot be real... maybe we are looking at a vision of another time?”

Will Save (28)
[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]
 

jbear

First Post
A low growl emerges from Maui-Tiger's throat as the scene blurs and twists and the illusion attempts to overwhelm his mind and steal his wits. The massive feline shakes his head to shake away he confusion and then peers through the vision to see the reality that lies hidden behind. Taniwha however does not have the ability to reason and is totally sucked in by the vision. The hackles of the cheetah stand on end and he bares his teeth, moving to pad forward towards the door being bolted, as though readying to face whatever threat came through it. Maui let out a growl that stopped the cheetah in its tracks. Taniwha turned around and tail swishing from side to side angrily, padded back to Maui's side obediantly.

Maui Will Save 1d20+14=32 vs DC 18
Taniwha Will Save 1d20+6=7 vs DC18 (Fail)

[sblock=OOC]Maui commands Taniwha to heel and stay when he senses his companion under the sway of the illusion. [/sblock]
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The Venzin swordsman smiles at the pleasant greeting, but when he sees the area completely change he responds with a very unintelligent "Huh?"

will save: 1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22

"Well, this must be the illusion that causes people to suddenly stand still in fear."

[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 25 (21 flat-footed, 19 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 28 (23 flat-footed, 24 touch)

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2


Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow, composite, mighty +2

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
As quickly as the unreal images come, they then fade, leaving the foyer you stand in quiet. No more battle, no more screaming, just the sound of a couple quiet conversations and footsteps. Only Taniwha seems unable to shake it, but Maui is able to keep him from attacking anything until he finally settles down, casting only suspicious glances at where the illusory battle had previously raged.

Lamar.jpg
. . . Lamar Sathien . . .

Before anyone has time to process what just happened further, the man who had previously headed in your direction has now arrived and addresses you directly, his baritone voice filling the chamber as he speaks at a normal volume with you. "Greetings, I am Lamar Sathien, high priest of this temple to Ruvalra. Is there something I can help you with?"
 

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard


Barlo gave the priest a look that was a bit incredulous at the nonchalant question.

"You are jesting, yes?" he asked rhetorically. He pressed on without waiting for an answer.

"I am Barlo Hawkins, recently from Venza. I would think you can indeed aid us."

"First, could you please tell us what is going on with the illusions? Things are really strange here in Tritower."

"While you appear to be acting like everything is normal, there is a refugee camp outside the city claiming that bands of ghouls are roaming the countryside. So we would appreciate a full report on what is going on here, if you don't mind."


OOC: Take 10 on Sense Motive +20

[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]
 

jbear

First Post
In case the man who spoke to them with unsettling normalness amongst the wierd did not capture the urgency behind Barlo's words, the dire tiger at his side crouched low, hackles up, rumbling a menacing growl, as though he were ready to pounce and tear the man's face off at the slightest indication that doing so woud be a good idea.
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Maui, Its ok, they may not realize what we saw. Easy there might one."

Vincenzo tries to calm the Jungle Druid with words, for now he tries anyway.
 

Aura

Explorer
Lamar.jpg
. . . Lamar Sathien . . .

In the face of dismayed and somewhat aggressive reactions to his words, the high priest seems steadfast. He merely adds, "I'm sorry, but I don't know any of the things you speak of, be they ghouls or illusions. It's been a relatively calm day for us, here. Do any of you need healing, perhaps for wounds, or... other conditions? Or perhaps the blessings of The Wildflower and the iteration of her wisdom?"

[section]
Brows furrowed, Ethane watches the exchange unfold between the high priest and the rest of the group. Finally, he steps up, saying, "Brother, what goes on here? Surely you could not have missed events that have effected thousands of people!"
[/section]
Being addressed in such a manner seems to get the notice of the high priest, and he focuses on Ethane. "Ah, Brother, I had not seen you there. We will have to speak further once initial formalities are out of the way, as I am curious as to what brings a newcomer to our temple. Back to the issue at hand, no, even hearing you agree with these gentlemen doesn't change the situation, which is not much to report, as Barlo here has requested."

[sblock=Sense Motive]No deception is detected. The high priest seems rather straightforward.[/sblock]
 


perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard


Barlo had a wry expression for his companion, “Indeed, Vincenzo, indeed. There is much we do not understand.”

With the cleric also not making much headway in the discussion with the priest, he was beginning to feel like the discussion was akin to trying to convince someone the sky was blue when they claimed it was green. But he did not think the priest was lying.

“Well, Lamar, this is quite strange. We came here seeking information.”

“Have you been outside the temple lately? The town appears to half deserted and the buildings look different, shrouded in darkness.”


OOC: Take 10 on Sense Motive +20

[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]
 

jbear

First Post
Frustrated with the priest's lackadasical response, Maui growls and pads off to explore the temple, searching for signs of anything else that might be off in this place.

[sblock=Perception]Take 10 on perception +16 = 26 to make a thorough search of the temple [/sblock]
 

Aura

Explorer
Lamar.jpg
. . . Lamar Sathien . . .

As Maui stalks off to check the temple out, the high priest casts an eye his way, but doesn't do anything to stop him, even as the large feline stalks out of sight to check out the back rooms. Instead, his attention is drawn back to Barlo's latest question. Furrowing his brow, he thinks, speaking aloud as he does, "Hmm, I was just outside recently. Lunch, was it? Anyway, things seemed rather quiet. Not much to say about it, I guess. Certainly if there were darkened buildings during the day, I would have noticed."

Sometime during high priest Sathan's response Ethane also slipped away, headed to check out the side-rooms on the opposite side of the temple.

[sblock=Maui]Once you're out of the main area, the back rooms take on the vague, shadowed forms that you've seen elsewhere in the city. The basics are all there: doors, walls, major furniture items, etc, but that is about it. It's a grossly simplified version of reality, and as such, there is virtually nothing to search. You bump into Ethane fairly soon after as he finishes his search of the opposite side of the building, so you can return to the group soon after, if you wish.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Taniwha returns to the group. For a dire tiger he looks very perplexed. He pads right up to the priest and inspects him from an uncomfortably close distance. He looks back out towards the doorway where things returned to there irreal appearance, and then back to the priest. He lifts a paw and extends the single claw of his index finger to prod the priest's chest. He then points towards the doors of the temple before pading away a few steps in that direction where he stops to point again at the priest and then beckon him towards the door. It wasn't entirely clear what the massive feline-formed jungle warrior was thinking but it seemed he wanted the priest to follow him out the front door.
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"I think Maui wants you to follow him," Vincenzo says to the priest, just in case it is not understood.
 

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard


Barlo was sharing the druid’s unspoken sentiments that something was off about the priest and it was making him very wary.

“Yes, I think we should show you want we are talking about, Lamar. The situation outside has been like this for days.”

The bard was no expert on complicated arcane knowledge when it came to time warping and other realms. He was starting to wonder if they should not brought that wizard Hassbek along with them.

Barlo gestured for the priest to accompany them outside.

OOC: Take 10 on Sense Motive +20

[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo is about to gesture with his hand, the one with the rapier still in it, when he turns the gesture into an act of peace - he sheaths his blade to show his intent was not to harm. At this time anyway.
 

COMING SOON! Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top