Pathfinder 1E [LPF] Perception is Reality

Aura

Explorer
Lamar.jpg
. . . Lamar Sathien . . .

With Maui's poking of the head priest, the man is somewhat taken aback. "Excuse me, let's not be doing that, if you would." He takes a step back from the large beast as people explain Maui's apparent intention. Nodding, he says, "Why yes, if it would help with your misgivings over this situation, it would be fine by me. You gentlemen certainly seem worked up about this, and if it wasn't for one of Ruvalra's own telling me something was amiss, I might be tempted to consider you in need of magical curatives for mental maladies. But, perhaps it is me, and I have missed something. For days, even! Worse has been known to happen. Let us go."

With that, the group heads outside, the large front doors opening as easily for you as you exit as they did when you enter. However, as Lamar steps across the threshold and into the open, two things happen. First, the lighting of the temple suddenly disappears, giving way to the semi-lit grey of the majority of Tritower. Secondly, Lamar fades from sight.

[section]

Ethane gasps and looks back into the temple. "What magic is this?" he exclaims. But even as he finishes uttering that short sentence, the light levels in the temple begin to rapidly increase once again.
[/section]The inside of the temple once again appears to be richly detailed compared to the featureless backdrop on which it exists. Inside, things go on as if you had never stepped inside. Things are tranquil, and several people are involved in conversations. The one you already know to be Lamar excuses himself from the person he was talking to previously and begins to head in your direction. A large man, his heavy footfalls can be heard as he approaches.

As Lamar approaches you, Ethane speaks softly and quickly, "I didn't bring it up before out of politeness, but I've met Lamar before. We don't know each other very well, but you'd think he would have at least recognized me. I want to say this cannot be him, but it is just like him, down to the way he speaks, the way he holds himself... everything!" Ethane looks up and sees Lamar is nearly upon you and stops speaking.

Without hesitation, Lamar addresses you in his strong baritone voice, filling the chamber in comparison to Ethane's hushed words. "Greetings, I am Lamar Sathien, high priest of this temple to Ruvalra. What brings you to us today?"

[sblock=Maui]There is nothing odd about Lamar as you poke him.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo stads and blinks, "Could magic make such a perfect representation of sombody? Could this be some trap to lure us or anyone else here to make the attack against those who fall for the trap more like sheep to a slaughter?"

he turns slowly, his hand bringing his bow to hand as he looks about the rooftops to find any snipers.

"Maui, am I over thinking this? Barlo, Ethane?" He does not hide his unease at all.
perception +11
Perception: 1D20+11 = [9]+11 = 20

[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 25 (21 flat-footed, 19 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 28 (23 flat-footed, 24 touch)

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow, composite, mighty +2

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock][/QUOTE]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo was as confused as everyone else. “This is most definitely strange,” he muttered as time appeared to reset itself.

With Lamar coming back to see them, he nodded a polite smile and greeting. “Wel met, Lamar. We are fine for the moment, do not let us disturb you.”

It was obvious that the priest was unaware of what was going on. He lowered his voice and spoke with his companions.

“Indeed, we must be dealing with a magic that is powerful. It is likely some sort of illusion of a point in time. Mayhap it is a divine exception to this whole mess going on in Tritower. The folks inside might actually be protected and preserved in time until whatever has happened to the city is resolved.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Maui shook his head at Vincenvzo's self questioning. He was definitely equally as at ill ease as his friend. He had certainly not expected the man to simply disappear when he left the church... he was expecting something else... but at least they had learnt something. Maui had very little idea what itwas they had learnt but he didn't feel like they could learn any more in the church. It wasonly a piece of the puzzle. He made his desire to leave known, pacing near the ddor and swishing his tail about impatiently, snarling if his companions remain too long within the church upon their return. Once outside he points a claw towards one of the other temples, this one cast in the deep shadows that plague the surreal city. The temple of Rogues. He waits to see if his companions also wish to explore the second temple. If they do, he pads forward with Taniwha at his side, low and focused on finding dangers hiding in the shadows.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Hmmmm," Vincenzo draws his rapier and nods to Maui, "Barlo, what if what we see there in that temple is the illusion, but that vision of the battle at the door is reality?" He looks at the bard with a very bemused look. The poor swordsman is totally out of his league.

[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 25 (21 flat-footed, 19 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 28 (23 flat-footed, 24 touch)

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow, composite, mighty +2

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock][/][/]

Aura

Explorer
The head priest nods in response to Barlo's greeting and invites him to speak up if attention was required. He then goes back to his conversation, leaving the group to converse amongst themselves. With Maui trying to usher the group out of the temple, Ethane adds his throughts.
[section]

"I'm at a loss to say what this all is, but we learn a few things. After Lamar disappeared and started over, so to speak, it more fully reinforced my opinion that it is not him. We also learned the back rooms were grey and featureless, as if they were of no concern to whomever created them. Only the main chapel seemed normal." The armored priest sighs.

Thinking a moment, Ethane adds, "When it comes right down to it, magic is capable of anything, Vincenzo. However, I don't know what caused that." With a gesture, he indicates the temple, still lit and well defined against a backdrop of grey. "It does not seem to be any standard magic with which I am familiar."
[/section]
With that, Maui finds himself back in the road outside the temple. The street continues to be empty and quiet. To the right, as you continue into the town, one of the towers by which the name 'Tritower' is derived seems to be lit up. Further, it sits upon a hill, allowing for an excellent view of the rest of the area, which would definitely be useful in pinpointing other lit areas.

The rest of the group remained close to the entryway to the temple for the time being.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo nodded with a puzzled frown as the whole situation was unreal and confusing. He took note of Maui being impatient to move on as well.

He answered Vincenzo and Ethane, “Yes, I was wondering about that too, but why does the battle not appear once we come outside? No, I think was probably an illusion as well.”

“Aye, Maui, I think we should move along. But I have one more question for the priest first,”
he called over to the pacing druid.

He stepped towards Lamar and asked, “Your pardon, there is something you could do for me today. While it might sound strange of me to ask, but would you please tell me what is today’s date, the day of the week, and the time?”

Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
[sblock=OOC Note]I am not sure if it makes a difference, but Barlo did not exit the Temple again yet. I see still him standing at the entrance talking with Vincenzo.

Jbear only posted a contingency for when we exited the temple, not actually moving us along. ;)[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Lamar.jpg
. . . Lamar Sathien . . .

With Maui continuing to take in the view outside, the lead priest of Ruvalra fields Barlo's question. His words start out rather casual as he starts, "Why, of course, not the usual sort of question I am asked, but happy to help." However, his voice starts to immediately show signs of distress as he continues with the actual answer to the qeustion, "It's... uh. Hmm... Ah ha! Errr. No." He goes silent a moment, then finally adds, "Sorry, it seems to have slipped my mind, which I find rather frustrating."

[sblock=Correction]Player positions corrected in previous post so the prose should now fit. Sorry about hte mistake.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo was hoping for some indication of when the time loop of the illusionary priest began, but he suspected that he already knew the answer anyway.“Thank you anyway, Lamar. Mayhap we shall meet again soon.”

He exited the temple and motioned for Vincenzo and Ethane come along. When they reached Maui he said, “I agree that was not a real person... or if it was they are under an enchantment that has altered their memories and reality. Let us investigate another temple to see what w can see.”

Barlo gestured for Maui to lead the way as he sensed the druid knew where he wanted to go next.

[sblock=OOC Note]No worries, Aura. I suspected it was not going to matter. :)[/sblock]

Remove ads