Pathfinder 1E [LPF] Perception is Reality

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo skids to a stop as King Taniwah darts around the corner and spirits pas him in a blur, however he has to dodge out of the way as Maui comes charging around the corner which he takes as an invitation to beat a controlled retreat back the way he came - with him covering their backs.

Aura

Explorer
Giant Combat

Ogre200.jpg
. . . Giant Spellcasters, Oh My! . . .

Upon Maui’s beastial utterance, a strange greenish glow flutters down upon the giant enemies. However, much to his dismay, it seemingly fails to ‘stick’ as it normally does, and briefly illuminates the ground underneath them before dissipating. Dire tiger and cheetah then turn around the corner and make a break for it, heading 40 feet back towards the group, ending 110 feet from the other three companions.

Vincenzo is the first to act, moving as quickly as he can without completely opening himself up. Barlo and Ethane follow suit, matching the swordmaster stride for stride. In short order the trio advances 60 feet, putting them 50 feet away from Maui and 90 feet away from the corner he and Taniwha just raced around.

Speaking of that corner, at that moment the two floating (10 feet off the ground) giants and the grounded rat come into view. Little ratty legs skitter as he turns the corner in the frost, but his larger masters seem to have no problem as they float upon the air. Upon re-establishing a line to sight to their prey, they float side by side, with the nasty little rat in front of them, and begin to cast spells….

[sblock=Combat Stuff]
Combat Actors
Giant: 0 damage (AC 21, touch 12, CMD 29, SR 19)
Larger Giant: 0 damage (AC 25, touch 14, CMD 33, SR 21)
Rat: 0 damage (AC 14, touch 14, CMD 12)
Barlo: 0 damage
Vincenzo: 0 damage
Ethane: 0 damage
Maui: 39 damage
Taniwha: 27 damage

Due to the giant’s altitude (10'), Maui wasn't able to get them and the rat. But he can get both of the giants. However, the spell fails to take hold, and the glow fizzles away into the shadows (Two bad Spell Resistance checks).

SdW, the most move you can get without losing your Dexterity modifier is double, which works out to 60’ for you. So I adjusted the description to fit that intent. BTW, you’ll want to update your character sheet with a 30’ move, it’s still saying Vincenzo has 20’.

perrinmiller: I assume you were trying to identify properties of the spells cast. Normally that requires being able to see the target as the spell is being cast, so you can’t make the identification from the incantations alone. However, you do know that the evidence matches the spell Cone of Cold, and that it is a rather difficult spell to learn. However, when the giants turn the corner and cast spells in view, you can determine they are both casting Deep Slumber (a high level Sleep spell).

jbear, Maui is the target of the larger giant’s Deep Slumber spell, DC 18. Taniwha is the target of the smaller giant’s Deep Slumber spell, DC 16. Save or bad things happen. You can work the saves into the beginning of your next action and act accordingly.

Final positioning: The giants and rat are at the corner where the all the initial action took place. Maui and Taniwha are 40 feet away, running towards the group side-by-side. And the rest of the group is 50 feet further still, which places them 90 feet from the corner and bad guys. The building fronts are on Maul/Taniwha's left as they flee from the giants and the rest of the group's right as they approach. Map up tomorrow, running out of time.

You're all up.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=speed] I double checked and saw I have mithril agile breastplate with a move of 20 according to RAW. So, unless I am missing something, I will make this post at 20. I wish I could have a move of 30, but oh well. [/sblock]
As Vincenzo struggles to keep up, he sees, lo and behold, 2 floating giants who are not speaking Venzin. He changes out his rapier for his bow, as he cannot reach up ten feet in the air and draws and arrow to shoot.

[sblock=actions]move action: change rapier for longbow; standard action: move 5 feet back and shoot
Attack: 1D20+12 = [10]+12 = 22
1D20+7 = [17]+7 = 24

damage: 1D8+2 = [2]+2 = 4
1D8+2 = [8]+2 = 10[/sblock]

[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 26 (21 flat-footed, 20 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 29 (23 flat-footed, 23 touch)
fighting defensively and combat expertise
AC: 31, 23 FF,27 Touch

HP: 112/112
???????
CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Rapier att +12/+7;

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock][/][/][/][/][/][/]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo recognized the spells the two giants were casting and called out, "They are casting sleeping spells that are capable of putting even experienced adventurers asleep! But they need a few seconds to do it and the range is limited to about 50-60 feet! Fall back to get out of range while we shoot arrows!”

[sblock=Actions]Barlo's Knowledge Local on Giants (19,17)
Barlo's Knowledge Nature on Rat (27)

Delay until after Maui and Taniwha pull back so I can cast Haste or Bardic Performance to include them.
[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock][sblock=OOC Stuff]Yeah, switching the Spellcraft to the new spells if fine. Saves me another roll.

Btw, Deep Slumber is a 1 Round Casting time and triggers at the start of their next round if they pass the concentration check from taking damage during the casting. Also, unless they can move for free actions, it will cost them Standard Actions over 2 rounds to cast it next round and they cannot keep moving during the casting. In either case, Maui and Taniwha would not need saving throws until the spell triggers. If the giants find their targets are farther than the range of the spells (25ft + 5ft/2 levels), then they target nothing and spells/actions wasted. ;)

SdW, you might want to wait for me to go first in the round. I have buffs and stuff that will make your actions more effective. ;)[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=ooc] how about this: Before vincenzo looses his aws, barlow gets to hims as puts his hand on his shoulder and said to wait a second?[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
[sblock=Corrections - Maui and Taniwha don't need saving throws and Vincenzo move]
Btw, Deep Slumber is a 1 Round Casting time and triggers at the start of their next round if they pass the concentration check from taking damage during the casting. Also, unless they can move for free actions, it will cost them Standard Actions over 2 rounds to cast it next round and they cannot keep moving during the casting. In either case, Maui and Taniwha would not need saving throws until the spell triggers. If the giants find their targets are farther than the range of the spells (25ft + 5ft/2 levels), then they target nothing and spells/actions wasted. ;)

Ah, I had forgotten that it was a full round cast. We've got roleplay invested in the fact they did somehow get the spells started, so I'm going to fiat it and their spells will fail one way or another - be it taking damage, being out of range, auto-success on the target saves, etc. We'll fit it to the action after the fact.

As for Vincenzo, your armor is counted as light for purposes of movement because it's mithril. (A heavy armor would be counted as medium.) Thus, Vincenzo can go 30'. It's one of the reasons the mithril breastplate is such a favorite.

Anyway, continue along, there's more actions to be had before the sleep spells fail and the giants decide to do something else.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=armour vs speed] huh, never noticed the light = 30 fact. ok. I am good! He still stops, takes a 5' step back, pulls out his bow while moving, use a move to sheath his rapier, *pause* to get buffed, and get only 1 arrow off[/b] since he took a move action[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Maui was feeling really very glad to have Barlo around as he and Taniwha scampered away from the truly quite terrifying flying giant magicians and their unnerving rat spy. Tane's magic had been useless against them, sputtering and dying like a wet candle in a stiff breeze. He felt the drowsy tingle of the powerful spell fall heavy upon his mind and the similar distress that the King was feeling as the same spell tried to catch hold of his mind as well (although he was quite a bit further away than his master as he obeyed the command to return to Barlo and guard the bard). Maui wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed in many ways it was fair to say, but he understood 'casting sleep spells that put experienced adventurers to sleep', 'few seconds' and 'fall back (measurement wasn't the jungle druid's strong suit however). But he caught the drift, and with a growl he communicated the short version to his cat companion. Get the hell away from these creatures now!" The druid however did not follow his own guttural advice. After another few strides he skidded to a halt and turned back around to face his floating enemies, issuing a challenge with an air splitting roar. Tane's magic might not affect his foes, but it could strengthen him... make those dangerous looking swords not so dangerous...

[sblock=OOC]Taniwha Double Moved back towards Barlo. His speed is 50' so he moved back 100 ft
jbear said:
Free: command Taniwha to return to Barlo and guard him
Taniwha: Double move back to Barlo
I think Taniwha must have reached Barlo's side from the description [/sblock]

As Taniwha reached Barlo's side the cheetah turned back to regard the scene. The wild cat paced, creating a bit more distance between himself and the bard he had been ordered to protect, giving himself a direct line towards that snarling rat who had lead them into this deadly encounter, but obediantly holding his distance in a protective stance. Meanwhile, Maui's coat trembled and turned black, as though he had been coated in dark, sticky tar. The tiger let out another roar as if to say, come on! come and fight me now!

[sblock= Actions] So my understanding is that because of the requirement for a full round to cast Deep Slumber, the giants couldn't move; but because they moved, their spell failed? On the basis that their spell is going to fail, as stated by Aura, and that 50 ft was given as the distance between Maui and Barlo (Taniwha would have already reached that distance; while in this form Maui can speak feline and be pretty specific with his commands), and on the presumption that 30 ft is the ideal distance for Maui to be at from Barlo so he can be affected by his bardic performance.

20 ft move back towards Barlo, turn and cast Resinous Skin on himself
(I was going to cast Stone Skin... but as I read the spell more closely I spotted the 250gp diamond dust compnent ... which Maui doesn't actually have ... bummer... Scratch that spell from my options list like ... forever. Oh well, summon natural ally can always make use of that spell slot in any case :) )

Taniwha will spread out laterally from Barlo 30 ft (staying within bardic performance range) to get a clear line towards the rat and then go full defense mode. [/sblock]

[sblock=Lvl 10 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +4
AC: 23 (Touch 16 ; FFt 19)
HP: 112 Current: 73
CMB: +15 (+17 Grapple) CMD: 28 (30 escape grapple) Fort: +13 Reflex: +11 Will: +14

Conditions:
Buffs: Resinous Skin (100 mins): DR5/piercing, +2 Grapple/-2 to escape my grapple, Weapons that hit become stuck (REF save DC 18)

In Hand:
Cold Iron MW Scimitar: +15/+10; 1d6+7 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Detect Poison
1st: CLW; Longstrider, Entangle, Aspect of the Falcon:USED, Faerie Fire: USED
2nd: Bull's Strength, Bark Skin 2/2, Restoration Lesser, Resist Energy
3rd: Greater Magic Fang 2/2, Resinous Skin: USED, Delay Poison Communal
4th: Thorn Body 2/2, Airwalk, Strong Jaw
5th: Animal Growth, Stone SKin
Wild Shape: 3/5 uses left per day

[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 18 , touch 18 , flat-footed 14
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +15; 1d8+8; 2 Claws: +15; 1d4 +8 dmg
Special: Trip

[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 18, touch 18 , flat-footed 14
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +15; 1d6+8; 2 Talons: +15; 1d8+8 dmg; Foreclaws: +9; 1d4+5
Special: Pounce

[/sblock]

[sblock=Dire Tiger Shape III]
Dire Tiger
Large Animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 19 , touch 17, flat-footed 16
Speed 40 ft.
Melee:Bite +16; 2d6+9 (+Grab); 2 Claws: +16; 2d4+9 dmg (+Grab)
Special: Pounce, Rake
[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 40/40
Wand of Magic Fang: 44/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 46/50
Wand of Mage Armor: 46/50
Rod of Lesser Extend: 3/3
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (27)
HP: 83 Current: 56
CMB: Trip/Disarm +11 CMD: 29 (33 vs Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +12 Will: +6 (+10 vs enchant)

Conditions:

Bite (silvered;magic): +13; 1d6+5 dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws (silvered;magic): +13 ; 1d3+5 dmg
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo began chanting an inspiring war chant that was known to bolster courage in soldiers.

[sblock=Actions]From earlier: Barlo's Knowledge Local on Giants (19,17), Barlo's Knowledge Nature on Rat (27)
Activate: Inspire Courage +2 Att/Dmg (Lingering 2r)
[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock] [sblock=ooc]
how about this: Before vincenzo looses his aws, barlow gets to hims as puts his hand on his shoulder and said to wait a second?
I am not sure it really matters in this case, but in general there are several reasons to let Barlo go first, particularly in the opening rounds of a combat. Or put a note that you want the actions to be resolved after Barlo’s.

When your intention is to just make an attack, you might find it better to know what changes to the battlefield Barlo might do first or at least make sure your character has not strayed beyond range of Inspire Courage/Haste/Etc…

With 25 uses of lingering bardic performance, I will be liberally tossing them around. I was torn with casting Haste or Inspiring Courage +2 this round… but I am still thinking about a few other options too.

Thanks, Aura. Realistically they should be able to move, and then start casting (to split the casting over 2 rounds). It would just not be finished until after they spend a Standard Action the following round to release. I think you only needed to retcon the request for a Saving Throw. ;)
[/sblock]

Remove ads