[LPF] Through the Looking Gate

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo leans down to the jungle warrior's animal friend and says, "Good job in protecting Maui. I will see if I can find some buffalo milk for you."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Let's head back to the Lower Guild first. Winning is nice and all, but getting paid for a job is even nicer. I can take point," Lem offers as he half saunters, half limps ahead. He keeps an open eye for danger and tries to stay several feet in front of the next team member in case of trouble.

jackslate45

First Post
Unfortunately, Tasanto is unable to determine what any of the magical items are from the gnome. Hopefully, when Menik prepares his identification spells the next day, he will be able to understand them better. As Tasanto double checks where all the magical circles were, he is relieved to find that the lingering magical auras have vanished.

Exiting the crypt, the party is revealed to find that the storm indeed has calmed somewhat. Lightning and thunderclaps no longer can be seen or heard, and as you put more distance from the crypt, you can see the storm clouds start to disperse themselves.

It takes a few hours to reach Venza again, but nothing attacks you while you return. It is late afternoon when you return to the coastal city.

Deciding to return to the Lower Guild immediately, you are greeted by Dellrian at the door, who looks positively delighted to see you. "I have had a bird in about 10 minutes ago that the cloud was dispersed, so I was hoping to see you soon! Come in, I have a room ready for you."

Leading you into the guild hall, Dellrian takes an immediate right into a large size room, with several chairs and a large table. Dellrian motions to everyone to sit down, and asks them if they need any refreshments or food.

Once everyone is comfortable, Dellrian sits down himself, and a serious look crosses his face. "Well, what did you discover? Clearly, something, given that the storm cloud has disappeared. "

[sblock=GM]
Since the trip is less than a day away, I figured no wand charges were needed, and the party can fully rest back up saftly once in town. Cheaper that way, but if you want to fully heal yourselves you can. Figured since you didn't have to you wouldn't.
[/sblock]

soulnova

Explorer
"Well, it certainly got ugly" Galandra takes a seat and massages the back of her neck.

"We found your lightning creature. It had life on its own... as well as some of its friends inside the Crypt. They seemed to have come from a portal that had been long sealed. This mage gnome was trying to reopen it and some of these somehow made it out of the Gate. We were trying to close it when he came back with company. He got quite violent... he would have us killed before giving up his research. I'm sure Menik can explain about it better than I can..."

She lets Menik get to the technical details.

jbear

First Post
Maui sits, dried blood and deep scratches and bites marking most of his visible skin. He offers his own explanation of events. "In te storm was hiding te Lightning Giant. We destroy it. In te crypt was hiding te Water Giant and te Earth Giants. We destroy them all. They came in te Gate that te huffling and his Talking Dog had opened. Te huffling was te Dog Caller. We killed him before he call more of te dogs. Menik close te Gate and we bring down te Talking Dog before he kill us. Now te Crypt is empty. Te storm is over."

Satin Knights

First Post
"Well, the little gnome was a summoner actually. And he was quite surly. Apparently he had spent twenty years researching how to reactivate this gate that is in there. Well, being alone with just his eidolon, I think he went a little mad. Well, at least power hungry and not caring if others survive his research and achievements. As to the creatures, elementals is a better description than giants. Lightning, water and stone. We expected fire to finish out the symmetry, but one of those never showed up. There were a couple dead humans too. Likely the first research party that got killed off."

"We think the gate is deactivated. The mad researcher is dead, of his own free will. He attacked us when we tried shutting things down, and well, paid the price. His own wolf's lightning breath pretty much disintegrated the bugger, frying him to the point only ash was left. His wolf eidolon has been dispatched as well, but you know, they never really die. It will just have to wait for another to call upon it."

"But all is not lost. If you got the gold you mentioned, we got the gnome's research. All packed up nice and safe before the brawl started."

[section]
[sblock=actions]talk
[/sblock][sblock=Tasanto Nysys' Mini-stats]
Half-elf Tasanto ....(inactive)
HP 58/58; AC 13+4, Touch 12, FF 15; Init -2, Low-light vision, Move 30'
Fort: +7, Reflex +3, Will +12, CMB +5, CMD 17
Perception +15, Sense Motive +14,

Unarmed Strike +6, d6+1+d6 shock, Stunning Fist 2/day

Lucerne Hammer +7, d12+1 with 10' reach
Handbo +6, d6+1 (in haversack)
Dagger +6, d4+1
Sling, +2, d4+1
.......... Sling Bullets 9 Normal

Cattaur Beast Nysys ........... (active)
HP 52/52 real, 28/29 temp, AC 24, 16 Touch, 22+4 FF; Init +2, Darkvision, Move 40' Mage Armor 5 hrs
Fort: +8, Reflex +9, Will +14, CMB 8, CMD 24, Evasion
Perception +23, Sense Motive +14

Claw/Claw +8, d4+4+d6 shock (10' reach)
Bite +8, d6+4+d6 shock
Unarmed Strike +8, d6+6+d6 shock, on first strike of the round (usually kick, sometimes elbow)
Unarmed Strike +8, d6+4+d6 shock, on subsequent strikes in the round
Stunning Fist 3/day
MW Cold Iron Lucerne Hammer +9, d12+6 with 10' reach
Handbo +8, d6+4
Dagger +8, d4+4
Sling +7, d4+4 ......... Sling Bullets 9 Normal

.,,,..Summoner Cantrips: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Jolt, Guidance, Umbrella
.,,.,,...Summoner 1st Lvl: 3/4 remaining; Expeditious Retreat, Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon, Mage Armor, Shield
.,,.,,..Summoner 2nd Lvl: 1/2 remaining; Haste, See Invisibility
Summon Monster II:
5/5 remaining; std action SLA summon, (6 min), celestial eagles
......,,.......Consumables: 1 Alchemist's Fire, 3 Cure Light Wounds potion, 1 Enlarge potion
....,,.........Consumables: 15/22 days trail rations, 1 anti-toxin, 1 anti-plague
....,,.........Consumables: Scroll of Summon Eidolon and Scroll of Lesser Eidolon Surge loose in haversack
....,,.........Consumables: (44/50 charges) Wand of Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon
.....,Anytime Free Action: Fused Link, move HP from real to temp to keep cattaur alive, used down to 2 real
........ ......Swift Actions: Enter Snake Stance or Dragon Stance
..If Snake Stance Active:
.,,,..,,,,,,,,,,.Free Action: A missed attack on me provokes an AoO with an Unarmed Strike
.......Immediate Actions: AC or Touch AC = d20+14 against one strike
.......Immediate Actions: if hit on unarmed AoO, spend immed to make second unarmed AoO attack
If Dragon Stance Active:

..Ignore Difficult Terrain: Ignore terrain on charge and charge through allies
....First Strike is harder: +2 damage to first unarmed strike
...........dragon resolve: +2 saves vs Sleep, Paralysis and stunning effects
...............Conditionals: +1 damage when flanking from dirty fighting trait
Effects: Snake Stance off,Dragon Stance off, Swift action available, AoO 3of3 available, AC 24
In hand:
[/sblock]
[/section]

kinem

Adventurer
Menik explains "Once we fought our way in, we found what appeared to be one of the ancient gates. I think it was one of the ancients but I can't yet be certain, because this gate was malfunctioning. Rather than act as a fixed portal to another gate, it showed a variety of places, many no doubt on the elemental planes but not all. Once we even saw the inside of this tavern.

We tried tossing something through, but it didn't work. Instead, energy from the planes was leaking through to our side. That's what summoned the elementals and the storm, and it even animated some undead which we found already re-slain.

We found notes written by the guy who'd been experimenting with the gate. There was a formula to close the gate. We judged the gate too dangerous to leave it as it was, so we began the ritual.

That's when the gnome and his pet monster popped in. Seeing that we were taking away his toy, they attacked us. We slew them in self-defense. You won't find much of his remains - his monster's lightning breath blew him away and nearly was the death of me as well.

Once I completed the ritual, the gate deactivated and the storm began to dissipate. I don't know if it can ever be re-opened, fixed. I still have the gnome's notes. It would be a long and difficult project which I myself have neither the knowledge nor the time for, though I would be happy to help out. A new gate so close to town would be a boon to trade. More importantly, it would be a chance to bring the ancient art of gate making back to the modern day. Of course, any reckless dabblers like the gnome was must be kept away from the project, if it is ever undertaken."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo just nods, not so sagely but more like a little boy who has no idea what is being talked about judging by the blank look in his eyes.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I know those that appreciate magic are eager to continue the mad gnome's experiments, but from what I saw it is better to leave such power alone. It brought undead before it brought the elementals, and who knows what further experiments might cause to happen. Personally, I say leave well enough alone, but of course that is not in your nature I suppose," Lem says. "Oh well. One meal at a time, I say."

Remove ads