[LPF] Through the Looking Gate

jackslate45

Villager
An unusual storm is brewing over a long forgotten crypt...

DM: jackslate45
Judge: Perrinmiller
Start Date: 10/9/2013
End Date: N/A

Research Team:
1: Menik Level 5 Wizard - Starting XP 10,265 - (Leveled 12/23/2013 - 16,923)
2: Lem the Cook Level 5 Monk - Starting XP 10,262 - (Leveled 12/23/2013 - 16,923)
3: Galandra Beiryn Level 5 Ranger - Starting XP 11,407 - (Galandra 12/23/2013 - 18,068)
4: Maui Level 6 Druid - Starting XP 20,885 - (Leveled 11/10/2013 23,137)
5: Vicenzo del Vecchio da via della Rose D'Avorio II - Starting XP 20,981 (Leveled 11/10/2013 23,233)
6: Tasanto Nysys - Level 5 Cattatur - Starting XP 12,945 (Leveled 11/21/2013 15510 )

[sblock=Encounters]Huge Lightning Elemental: 3200 XP (CR 7)
Large Water Elemental 1600 XP (CR 5)
2x Large Earth Elementals 3200 xp (CR 7)
The Mad Gnome 6400 xp (CR 9)
The Lost Gate 12,800 (CR 11)[/sblock]
[sblock=Treasure]
1800: Down payment for the job. Used to pay for 2 CLW wands.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Adventure Rules]
* I will use group initiatives, rolling them myself. So in combat you must post your actions within 48-72 hours of the players turn coming up. Unless stated by a character that their actions are to follow another character, they will be resolved in posted order. After that time, if there was no communication with the DM, I will NPC the MIA player and move on.

* Mini stat blocks (preferably including a link back to the wiki page for your character) are useful. It is nice if you can colorize the major stats like Total HP, Current HP, AC, Weapon in hand.

* If you have an interrupt or immediate action ability (Timely Inspiration for example), please list it in your mini-stat block so I can attempt to weave it into the bad guy's combat at the appropriate time the first time around. If you can take more than one AoO in a round, please list that too.

* I tend to roll saving throws for the characters so the narrative of result can be added immediately instead of asking for the player to make a single die roll. I also tend to roll appropriate knowledge checks immediately so that information can be given as well. But, anytime you feel another knowledge check may apply too, please feel free to roll that as well when appropriate. (ie, any time after you are no longer flat footed in the surprise round).

* Dice rollers can be Invisible Castle or http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/ on-line dice rollers for the players. The DM will use his own black dice at home or an on-line random number generator at work.

* Any absences for longer than 2-3 days should be communicated to the DM. If you do not post for a week or more without having informed the DM, he reserves the right to remove you from the adventure giving you your share of the XP and treasure earned as well as time XP and gp to the date of your last post. Exceptions can be made for IRL emergencies, but please let the DM know ASAP.

* The DM has a very demanding work schedule in the holiday season (Black Friday -> New Years Day). I will try to post within an appropriate time frame, but if I cannot I will let you know.

* Levelling up mid-campaign: This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable.

* Tactical Grids will be using Ditzie, the players will be updating their movements themselves in combat and posting up the new URLs. Whenever you post IC, include the latest map even if your character did not move. This way everyone knows you are done with it. There is no limit to the number times we can update the map. Instead of editing a map link (unless you are the last post), please post a new link if you update again. This is the DM's first try at using Ditzie, so play nice...

* Most important of all, have fun!
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

jackslate45

Villager
Dellrian Thankirk, NPC

As you enter, you can see the half elf trying to get the mud out of his hair, in a very poor attempt to clean himself without water. Seeing you come in, he quickly brushes his hands on his pant legs, and shakes your hand with great enthusiasm. "Thanks! Please sit down, have something on me! It is the least I can do for you right now."
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Famous last words .. .. ..

[@jbear .. .. ..]

"Hey Maui, sounds like work. Its a great chance to get away from here. Lets go!"

Vincenzo stands and follows.

"Besides, Great Jungle Warrior, we have battled the wakened dead, what else could be in a crypt?"

[sblock=to the dm] checking in boss[/sblock]
 

Satin Knights

Villager
[section]
A frail looking half-elf follows in rather quickly behind.
"I heard there is crypt work available?"
as he passes through the doorway. "I have done that kind of thing a couple times now. Good fight, no moral ambiguities or negotiations involved. Just put them down and make sure they stop moving."

Remembering that some prefer manners, "Ah yes, I am Tasanto. When the time comes, a beast will be joining me for the fight. His name is Nysys. We fight as one. Once he shows up, you will understand why we generally take point in a battle."
[/section]
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Ah, I am Vincenzo, of the local Venzin population."

he is human, fit but not heavily muscled. His clothing shows signs of various forms of combat, but still serviceable. his equipment is obviously used, but in great condition, including the silvery metal shirt he wears, made of fine links tightly places together. Other then a bow and dagger, he sports an excellent ivory handles rapier.

"I have learned to be handy in a fight as well. Twice I have met the awakened dead, and prevailed. My jungle warrior friend in the common room and I have ventured the lands far and near and I hope he will be joining us. He is both healer and warrior.
 
Last edited:

kinem

Community Supporter
An elven man enters the room and approaches the half elf. "Hello, I'm Menik. Don't be alarmed." He casts a spell of prestidigitation, and uses it to clean the mud off the man's clothing.

"Who are you and what's this about a crypt? I'm interested, and able to help should undead be the problem, but I should mention that I would be even more effective given the chance to prepare more appropriate spells in the morning."
 

soulnova

Villager
"Someone mentioned undead?" Galandra knocks on the door and waves at the rest before taking a seat.

"Is there a plague or something? They seem to be causing a lot of problems lately... but never mind. I believe I have come to learn how to get rid of them quickly. Mika and I are interested on the job and would like to learn more."

Mika prowls playful closer to Tanniwha. She looks way bigger now, certainly fed much better.

[sblock=OOC] I still need approval for Galandra's level up so I'll use her previous stats at the moment. Nevermind, she's good to go!![/sblock]


[sblock=Ministats GALANDRA]


Galandra
AC: 18 (Touch 12, Flatfooted 16)
HP: 42/42


Initiative: +2
Perception: +13/+17 vs FE, Sense Motive: +2/+6 vs FV, Handle Animal +6(+10 Animal Companion)
CMB: +9 CMD: 21 Fort: +6 Reflex: +7 Will: +4

FE: Humans +2, Undead +4

+1 Falchion +10 [2d4+7] 18-20
Dagger +9 [1d4+3] 19-20
Masterwork Comp Longbow STR4: +9 [1d8+4] 19-20x3 (110ft)

Effects: Killer trait (extra damage = critical multiplier)


Conditions: None

In Hand: Masterwork Composite Longbow STR4

Consumables:
Efficient Quiver
-Blunt Arrows (20)
-Arrows (28)
-Masterwork Arrows (10)
-Javelins (10)
-Spears (3)


Backpack
3 days rations, Wand CLW (48 charges), Oil (2)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats Mika]

Mika, Small Leopard, Animal Companion

Hp 47/47
AC 22

Spd 50 ft
Init +5
F+7, R+9, W+2

Attack +8; bite (1d8+3) + trip, 2 claws (1d3+3)
Low-light vision, scent, trip
Stealth +10, Perception +5, Acrobatics +9
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

jackslate45

Villager
[section]
Now that Menik has cleaned up his hair and clothes, you can tell that this man is quite a good looking half elf, his red clothes containing a small seal on his chest. All of you recognize it as the seal of the Lower Guild, a prominent trading guild in Venza.

The man looks excited as more and more people show up, but also looks a little confused as the continues to come in.

"Did I mention the undead walking? I thought I did not. Anyway, I don't actually know if there are undead are not. We have not been able to go the crypt in question, despite our best efforts. Hence the reason I am here to hire people far more skilled that what is at my disposal."

At once, the man smacks his head "But where are my manners! I do apologize, I am still somewhat new to this hiring process, especially on behalf of our guild. My name is Dellrian Thankirk, of the Lower Guild of Ranocchio. Please, sit down and enjoy yourselves for now. Let me answer you immediate concerns. As far as I am aware, there is no plague involved. As for the crypt in question, we were not aware of it's existence until recently. A lost crypt, if you will. We only found out it's existence due to the unusual circumstances surrounding this affair. And as I mentioned earlier, we have been unable to get closer to the crypt. It is a most fascinating affair, but I can wait until your companion joins us, if possible, to explain in greater detail?"

[/section]
 
Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo watches the dirt fall of their host and is greatly intrigued. Then he thinks he needs to make a quick clothing change. "So this job may get dirty. no need for flashy clothing this time huh?"
 

jbear

Villager
Maui entered the room and sat down smiling still that Vincenzo had chosen to go on the adventure rather than remain in the city playing scoundrel to the ladies. He shakes the half elf's hand awkwardly, obviously unaccustomed to this custom himself. He had become accustomed to this part of the adventuring process though, the part where the boss said a lot of things he didn't really understand before they could actually get going and doing something. He stifled a yawn.

Having no idea what a crypt is the jungle warrior does understand bits and pieces and tries to put enough of it together to get the general drift. "Maui is good at finding te lost things" he states simply. "So you lose a crypt. And you want te heroes to find it? Am I following?"

[sblock=ooc] SK sent me a message saying that I had Maui's XP slightly wrong. He actually has 20,855 xp at the moment.

CHeers
J
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lvl 6 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +2
AC: 20 (Touch 13; FFt 18)
HP: 58 Current: 58
CMB: +9 CMD: 21 Fort: +6 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

Conditions:

In Hand:
Scimitar +1: +10; 1d6+6 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Detect Poison
1st: Obscuring Mist; CLW 2/2; Entangle
2nd: Bull's Strength 2/2 , Bark Skin 2/2
3rd: Mad Monkeys, Greater Magic Fang, Delay Poison, Communal
Wild Shape: 3/3 uses left per day
[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 15 , touch 15 , flat-footed 12
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +10; 1d8+6; 2 Claws: +10; 1d4 +6 dmg
View attachment 57927
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 15 , touch 15 , flat-footed 12
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +10; 1d6+6; 2 Talons: +10; 1d8+6 dmg; Foreclaws: +5; 1d4+3
View attachment 57928
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dire Tiger Shape II]
Dire Tiger
Large Animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 16 , touch 14 , flat-footed 14
Speed 40 ft.
Melee:Bite +11; 2d6+7 (+Grab); 2 Claws: +11 ; 2d4+7 dmg (+Grab)
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6753809_f520.jpg
[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 14/16
Wand of Magic Fang: 46/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 48/50
Potions: CLW 2/2
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +7
AC: 22
HP: 50 Current: 50
CMB: Trip/Disarm +10 CMD: 25 (29 vs Trip) Fort: +7 Reflex: +11 Will: +3

Conditions:


Bite: +10 ; 1d6+4 dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws: +10; 1d3+4 dmg
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

soulnova

Villager
"Sorry if we got ahead of ourselves. We have quite a history of fighting undead lately. The mention of a crypt, well... we just assume. There's always dead things on crypts. Let's just hope they stay that way" she smirks and takes a seat.

"A crypt is..." she turns to Maui to clarify ".... a chamber where people laid they dead to rest. A sort of burial site underground..." she hopes the explanation was enough. "Seems like it was hidden a long time and people forgot about it until now"
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"A crypt is..." she turns to Maui to clarify ".... a chamber where people laid they dead to rest. A sort of burial site underground..." she hopes the explanation was enough. "Seems like it was hidden a long time and people forgot about it until now"
Vincenzo looks to Maui and nods in agreement that she speaks truly.
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem also came in, having been invited by his old companions. "Well, I can't say I'm a stranger to the undead now. I've got a decent idea of what we may be expecting, so I'll just need a moment to purchase some things, but otherwise I'm in. Sorry for being late, though. Tummy was growling and needing satisfying. I made sure to get the fat one we recently rescued a meal, too. Poor chap needed a second helping." Thus saying, Lem pats his stomach happily.

OOC: Thanks for the invites!
 

jbear

Villager
Maui gets it. "Crypt" he repeats to lodge the word in his vocabulary. "Maui has been in one of te crypt of Vezna. Whenua Tapu. So, where do we look for te crypt. And what do we do when we find it?" ​Maui likes to cut to the chase.
 

jackslate45

Villager
Dellrian smiles at the appearance of both Maui and Lem. "Excellent! The more the merrier! Now then, to business."

Leaning forward slightly, Dellrian's expression and tone change to match the serious expression on his face. "As your friends have already mentioned, this crypt was indeed lost to us. First some background. Part of the Lower Guild's responsibility in Ranocchio is the distribution of medicinal care to those that are injured. Given the districts violent nature, our supplies are always on the edge running out. We have special rangers of the Guild responsible for looking for healing herbs south of Venza, gather them up, and return to the Guild. While we know have access to magical healing, it is not always accessible to be used."

"About a week ago, one of these rangers saw that an odd storm seemed to be stirring about 10 miles south west from where she was gathering the plants. When she went to investigate, she found a crypt of an unknown origin over which the storm seemed to be brewing. No rain seemed to be falling over the crypt, however there was a significant amount of lightning and thunder being generated. With her report, the Guild determined this to be worth investigating. Gathering up some of our better trained rangers, and some cleric's of Serroth, a research team was deployed to observe it for a few days. What we had found matched what the ranger reported earlier, with one additional fact: The storm seems to be growing stronger. After 3 days of observation, we decided we needed to see what was going on."


At this point, Dellrian's expression turns to one of extreme sadness. "Our attempt to enter the crypt was met by strong resistance. What appeared to be a bolt of lighting shot down from the sky, and seemed to dart around the battle field, decimating our research team. As we had not expected to see this kind of resistance, most of our team did not make it. I looked on in horror at the sight, and determined that this was something we needed assistance in researching. At once, I returned back to the Lower Guild with the survivors to request additional funding to hire more experienced people. Then, I turned around to come here."

The look of serious returns to Dellrian's face as he continues, but with a more intense fire in his eyes. "There are 2 of things I would like the 6 of you to do. First, I would request that you find some way to enter the crypt. I am sure that you will find more resistance inside, so prepare yourselves. Second, find out what is causing this unnatural storm that is occurring over this crypt, and put an end to it. The storm has grown in size since it first appeared, and I fear it will only continue to grow. Something tells me that the storm and the crypt are related in some way." With a sigh, the half elf drops his serious face, and looks up around hopefully. "Now, are there any other questions?"
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem says, "What other kind of resistance was encountered? You mentioned a battlefield, so can you tell us what types of opponents were faced?

Did they come from the crypt or were they stationed outside?

We may need supplies before we depart. Are you able to help with equipment costs?"
Lem takes a moment to breathe. He fired off the questions a bit too fast, so he decided to stop long enough to take a quick nibble from a scone he had stashed.

"Finally, and most importantly... you mentioned healing herbs for medicinal purposes. I am also a herbalist. Would you recommend any of the rare herbs in the area of the crypt for use in cooking, or perhaps just for a decent broth or garnish?"
 

kinem

Community Supporter
"Good questions, Lem. I am able to prepare a spell that could help protect one person to some extent against lightning, but protection is ... not my specialty. However, if I can get the proper scrolls, I should be able to help protect the lot of us by learning the more advanced communal spell or merely casting it from the scrolls" Menik explains.
 

jbear

Villager
"Do not fear. Tane will protect us from te ... lighting. In te morning Maui will pray to Tane. Tane will listen.

So ... te crypt is not lost. It is te Found Crypt that calls te Thunder Fire from te sky... If there are more dangers that you know, tell us, and perhaps Tane can help us more. Is there danger getting to te Found Crypt? Or danger begins with te Thunder Fire Storm?"
enquires Maui.

[sblock=OOC] I can change a level 3 spell for Resist Energy Communal as long as we manage to rest before we reach the location (which seems logical). That gives us 60 mins of Resist 10 Electricity divided between us, so 10 minutes each... I can use 2 lvl 1 slots for Resist Energy to make sure all pets can have protection too. So sorted there... as long as it takes no longer than 10 mins to get in... [/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top