[LPF] Tower of Power

omnitricks

First Post
"You go do that" Paskell told Aeron as he waved the tiefling off. Looking over one cart wouldn't need more than one person and now Paskell wouldn't even need to get out to the smell of pigs and probably half rotten frog legs although Aeron should "just tell us what you find when you get back."

As for what Paskell would do, that would be fully communicated from his loud yawn. "If we go now in the dark, something might happen to us. Something bad" he told Dane. "Why don't we rest for the night first? A few hours more wouldn't make a difference right?" he asked the group "except that it will be brighter for us when we go into the tower."

Of course for Paskell that would be up for their host and employer. "So Mr Mallack, based on what you know about the tower do you want us to go in now or do you think we shouldn't test it and take a rest first?"

[sblock=Paskell's Mini Stats]
Tengu.jpg

Paskell
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 8/8
CMB: +0 CMD: 14
Fort: 0 Reflex: +6 Will: -1
Perception: +5
Initiative: +4
Current Weapon in Hand:
Current Conditions in Effect:

Used Items:
[/sblock]

SinisterRogue

First Post
Aeron stepped outside, the approaching night becoming more pronounced as the light from the sun continued to dwindle. Following the directions of the farmer, Aeron checked through the old, dilapidated cart but at the first sight of it, he knew that there would probably be little luck to be had for useful information. Regardless, Aeron needed to be sure. After opening the last burlap sack within the cart, Aeron's nose was assaulted once more by the smell of rancid frog legs. The smell was vile but Aeron remained stoic as he reached a hand into the bag to ensure that only the now-putrid remains of frogs were inside and nothing else of import. Finding nothing, Aeron closed up the sack to partially contain the smell. Stooping low and grabbing some straw, Aeron wiped away from of the grime on his hands from his search. Once finished, Aeron rejoined the group once more with a slightly disappointed look on his face, though he did notice that he entered as Paskell, the tengu, had just asked something to the farmer. Catching the attention of the rest of the group, Aeron details his findings. "Not much to be found in the cart. Only thing in it were some sacks with left over frog legs, rancid now, that the farmer mentioned already," Aeron remarks along with a frustrated shake of his horned head. "There seemed to have been swamp mud on the sacks though, which makes sense since this Baggio was collecting frog legs. Maybe there is a swamp in the area that this Baggio came from," Aeron suggests with a noncommittal shrug that conveys he doesn't much care where Baggio came from. "So, what is the plan in light of these events?" Aeron asks while looking at the collective group.

[sblock=Aeron's Mini Stats]

View attachment 56109
Aeron
AC: 17 (14 flat-footed, 13 touch)
HP: 9/9
CMB: +1 CMD: 15
Fort: 3 Reflex: +4 Will: +2
Perception: +0
Current Weapon in Hand: Scimitar (+1, 1d6+1, 18-20 x2)
Current Conditions in Effect: Weapon Finesse
Spells Remaining (1st): 2/2

Used Items:
[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Mallack puts a finger in his ear and wiggles it around as he thinks. "I've lived here for nigh-on sixty-five year, and I can't say I've ever wanted to go into the thing. If I had to, I'd do it in the daylight, that's for sure. But you're the professionals. Done a lot of this, I expect?"

He stands up. "Whichever you choose, I'm about to fix dinner and you're welcome to have some with me. Gonna whip up some porkchops, and mashed potaters with bacon, and collard greens with ham. After that, I can put you up in the barn if'n you want. Plenty of clean, dry straw for you to sleep in."

ivio_150_zpsfde60585.jpg

...... Ivio Mallack ......

SpicyWaffle

First Post
Curling his lips at Mallack's mention of being professionals with prior experience doing these sorts of things, Dane grew hesitant between Paskell's desire for rest and Mallack's insistence not to venture into the foreboding tower in the dead of night. Both men made valid, albeit different points: the thought of sojourning into a potential den of gremlins in the dead of night whilst fighting fatigue hardly sounded sane, especially fueled on some guesswork brought up by a pig farmer whose information was vague at best.

Then again, most sane people didn't willingly traipse around in dank, dangerous dwarven ruins at all. The risk was already becoming increasingly stacked against them; but now, it wasn't just Dane, Aeron, Samad, and Paskell in harm's way; for all Dane knew, this Baggio fellow was on the level and now in dire straits himself. If it were him in there on some misguided endeavor to plumb the tower's depths first for whatever reason, the young adventurer would have certainly wished to the gods for assistance, too. Every minute that slipped by was paramount, presuming Baggio yet still lived.

"I won't try and force you guys into any of this if you don't think we can handle it," Dane began after a moment of silence to collect his thoughts, "so it'll be up to you. I still stand by what I said: if this Baggio is in trouble, whoever he is and whether or not he's with the guild, he still deserves help, even if it was his fault for getting into this mess. It's risky, I know, especially at night like this while we're tired... but some things are more important, and living this sort of work means we might not always get the chance to relax before plunging into something dangerous. Besides, if it was someone you lot knew, would you be willing to set aside a few hours to rest knowing those same hours might be their last?"

The young, perhaps naively idealistic human sighed again, sipping some water whilst he let his own thoughts simmer.

"Like I said, it's up to you fellas. I don't know what's in there - gremlins or anything at all, and I'm not sure I could handle such things on my own if there were. Whatever you choose to do, I'll concede; but if we're going to - if we wanted to - help this unfortunate idiot who's been missing for three days now, then the sooner the better."

[sblock=Dane's Mini Stats]

ff14-hyur-male-initial-gearBustampTokenVersion_zpsda1a8a4d.jpg

Dane Mazelo
AC: 16 (13 flat-footed, 13 touch)
HP: 16/16
CMB: +2 CMD: 15
Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Perception: +1
Initiative: +3
Current Weapon in Hand: Gauntlets (+4, 1d3+1, 20x2)

Used Items:
---
[/sblock]

Commander_Fallout

First Post
"I agree," Samad replied, "Though this man may be a thief, or a mercenary, or was unwise, he still deserves mercy. We should leave now, while there is greater chance he still lives. I am not tired now, and if we do leave, we'll have the blessings of Bashu the Panther with us. I, too, would prefer we leave now."

[sblock=Samad's Mini Stats]
portrait_zpsb29a81b5.png

Samad Salil
CMB: +1 CMD: 14
Fort: +0 Reflex: +5 Will: +2
Perception: +6, Low Light Vision
Initiative: +5
Spells Remaining (1st): 3/3

Used Items:
N/A
[/sblock]

SinisterRogue

First Post
"Night or day, it makes little difference to my kind." Aeron gestures to his horns in reference to his dark heritage. "However, if we do go in there tonight, investigating the tower should be the priority, not finding the fool that went in there alone. The tower was the job we were hired for, the job I was hired for, not some rescue," Aeron says with both an air and mask of professionalism as he looks between his companions. "However, if we find Baggio along the way of our investigation, great. If not..." Aeron gives a shrug of indifference.

[sblock=Aeron's Mini Stats]

Aeron.png
Aeron
CMB: +1 CMD: 15
Fort: 3 Reflex: +4 Will: +2
Perception: +0
Spells Remaining (1st): 2/2

Used Items:
[/sblock]

omnitricks

First Post
Well Paskell was no fool. He has heard a lot about the things that came out in the dark of the night and things that lived in ruins what more at night in ruins. He was not going to risk himself just because some fool went into the tower. "The way I see it, that Baggio knew what he was getting into and would know how to survive. If he didn't die on the first day, he wouldn't die as long as he keeps up what he is doing." On the other hand "I'm not going to be the one to die by blindly rushing after him. He can wait a few more hours."

Saying that Paskell went after Mallack asking "do you need any help with dinner?" At least if the party still persisted in the foolishness of blindly rushing into the tower at this hour he would not be going in there on an empty stomach and some rest if he could help it.

Tengu.jpg

Paskell
Current Weapon in Hand:

Used Items:
[/sblock]

SpicyWaffle

First Post
With a mild furrowing of his brow, Dane had hoped for something more altruistic. Perhaps that was a foolish notion in and of itself, as he was no amidst a triad of splitting ideas: a decidedly agreeable yes, an off-handed indifference save for motivation, and an outright no. As much as he had hoped for some form of instant cohesion, it seemed Dane was going to have to work with what he had. After a moment to collect his thoughts, the young human turned back towards Paskell, though not before giving Samad and Aeron a slight but approving nod.

"Come on, Paskell," insisted the brash, almost barefaced human as he meandered his way through Mallack's home to stand beside his feathered associate. "You can't really mean that. I might not be some wild ranger from the hinterlands, but even I know you can run out of supplies. A man - no matter how strong or fast or smart - can't make it without food and water. Three days down there? Gods, anything could have happened -- you heard it from Fallson, that last quake unearthed the entrance. Could be unstable; could be Baggio's down there right now with a broken leg, hanging on through sheer determination to survive."

Despite his attempts to remain personally calm, Dane was adamantly furling his bottom lip inward, trying his utmost not to come off as some domineering bully. In all likelihood, he was probably doing a terrible job. Deciding to step away from the tengu, the sandy haired idealistic human instead returned to the farmer's side, giving Mallack only a parting glance before returning to the topic at hand. Like his mother had always said: sometimes you need to grease the wheels a little bit to get the cart rolling.

"Maybe you're right -- maybe you're both right," he began anew as he panned over to Samad before returning his gaze proper, "and I can see where you're coming from. It's going to be dangerous no matter what; doubly so at night. We don't know this fella, and truthfully, he might just as likely be some murderous git. But what if he isn't? What if, just maybe, he really is with the guild? The risk might be worth a potential reward. Sure, we could stay the night here at Mister Mallack's expense, get in there at first light, find out what's causing this so-called stink, put an end to it, and return to Master Hev with a job well done. Or, perhaps, you could do this one thing that might be greater than a good night sleep on a pig farm and a hot meal -- not only could you help Mallack like we promised, but maybe save a life, coming back more triumphant than if you'd just let some poor sod slip through your talons because he made a rookie mistake by going into that tower alone. Could even be a fat bounty in it for you, too, Paskell; maybe even make you seem like a real stand-up guy the guild can count on more than ever. More work means more coin, and coin makes the world go 'round, some say."

Dane paused again, letting the idea simmer before putting a gloved hand to his hip and cocking his head slightly.

"Just something to think about. But, hey, if you're set on staying here, then it's your choice and I won't try and force you into doing something you think you're not ready for. But me? I say the sooner we start, the better off everyone'll be; us, Mallack, the guild, and even Baggio if he yet still lives."

Dane Mazelo

Used Items:
---
[/sblock]

omnitricks

First Post
Dane made a pretty valid argument but "I'm sure he brought enough with him. The cart had nothing so Baggio might've already taken what he needed for that tower, he chose to go in it knowing the risks. And if it really is unstable better to go in when there's light so we can see the dangers right?"

Continuing to help with the food preparations, Paskell added "besides, this is my first adventure. As much as I'd like to return a triumphant hero or stand-up guy as you put it, I'd rather not make this my last. I'm with Aeron when he says the tower is our job and not Baggio. If he was part of the guild, they would have told us already."

"We're no good to anyone dead. Not ourselves, Mallack, the guild or Baggio. Lets just accept our host's hospitality and take whatever challenge we find when we're fresh and ready tomorrow? Unless you have a real good reason why we need to go besides thinking that Baggio is in danger when we ourselves are still unsure?"
he added.

Tengu.jpg

Paskell
Current Weapon in Hand:

Used Items:
[/sblock]

SpicyWaffle

First Post
For a moment, Dane remained deathly silent as Paskell's response sank in. He had hoped his words would sway the Tengu, and even as the beaked sellsword finished his last inquiry, Dane knew he had no rebuttal. With an weary sigh, the young human seemed to silently yield in the face of the feathery warrior, eyebrows arching ever so slightly even as he shook his head slowly. He knew where the foreign adventurer was coming from; especially as he relayed his concerns about his first adventure potentially being his last. But such was the way of things in their chosen field - danger around every corner, and urgency often pressing against them like an ominous wind. But the man had made his decision; and while Dane wasn't satisfied with Paskell's response, he would keep his word and honor his choice.

"Alright. I understand, Paskell," Dane finally conceded aloud, giving Paskell a forced smile even as he kept his stride. Turning to the remaining would-be tower-raiders, the human mercenary furled his lips inward again, as if gauging their response, then shifted back to Mallack. They were wasting time; regardless of their reasons, as far as Dane was concerned, finding Baggio was just as important as doing the job they'd signed on for. But it wasn't something he could do alone -- not if he wanted to potentially end up just like this wayward agent of the guild.

"I've said all I can say on the matter, so I guess we're finally at that crossroad. Aeron? Samad? If Paskell's going to stay here with Mallack, you know we'll be a man short. You know where I stand; but are you still ready to get on with this job?"

Dane Mazelo

Used Items:
---
[/sblock]

Remove ads