[LPF] Tower of Power

SinisterRogue

First Post
Dane's attempt to sway the choice of Paskell was admirable if not a bit naive to the reality people can actually present. Words and idealistic notions alone sometimes aren't enough. However, while Aeron wasn't truly moved or motivated by the argument Dane directed at Paskell, he was more comfortable with working at night. Maybe it reminded him of the dark city of Sumbru, where he grew up. Maybe it was because seeing into the night was just as easy as the day for him; for the darkness held no terrors in and of itself for Aeron. Either way, Aeron was wanted to get this job done and receive his coin as quickly as possible and he was comfortable with telling the group that. "I am fine with venturing out into the night. It should be no problem," Aeron states. A subtle tilt of his head and Aeron's eyes reflect the light like a cat's for a second before vanishing like it never happened. "Anyways, getting this contract done as soon as possible should fill my coin purse all the faster and allow for other well paying jobs to be undertaken, so I will throw in with Dane." Having said that, Aeron turned and addressed Paskell. "I know you might not want to go in during the night with the undue risk we would be putting ourselves in, but honestly, its a dwarven tower. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the ancient dwarven builders of these towers might have dug down into the earth just as much as they built up, if not more so since we are talking about dwarfs. If that's the case, all the sunshine in the world wouldn't have much of a difference." Aeron shrugs after saying his bit, letting the group think about what he had to say.

[sblock=Aeron's Mini Stats]

View attachment 56109
Aeron
AC: 17 (14 flat-footed, 13 touch)
HP: 9/9
CMB: +1 CMD: 15
Fort: 3 Reflex: +4 Will: +2
Perception: +0
Initiative: +4
Current Weapon in Hand: Scimitar (+1, 1d6+1, 18-20 x2)
Current Conditions in Effect: Weapon Finesse
Spells Remaining (1st): 2/2

Used Items:
[/sblock]

omnitricks

First Post
"Well good for you people. You are all willing to risk your lives just to save someone foolish enough to take his chances? You're just as bad as him" Paskell said without reservation. Turning to Aeron he continued "you might be comfortable with the dark but what about me, or him, or him?" pointing to Dane and Samad. "If the rest of us cannot see in the dark, we'd easily be taken by whatever ambush from things able to see in the dark unless you have torches, but they'd still be able to see us a mile away!"

"And Aeron, do you really think these two prioritize the job as you do? By the looks of things if it came to a point of Baggio or the job they would pick the former. I'm sure you don't want that do you? And what is finishing up the job 8 hours later compared to an increased risk against success or survival? Its not only about the light, it is also about the rest of us. We might end up in the tower for some time without a chance to rest. How confident are you that all of us will be able to perform to the best of our abilities when we're tired?" Paskell asked with a serious look on his face.

"If you are really crazy enough to test the tower now, I'll have to follow because of my contractual obligation to the guild and not because of Baggio. But what I'm not obligated to do is put myself in a dangerous situation against my better judgement which means I'll leave at anytime I find I should. That is where I stand if you want to go through with this but at least let me have my dinner first."

[sblock=Paskell's Mini Stats]
Tengu.jpg

Paskell
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 8/8
CMB: +0 CMD: 14
Fort: 0 Reflex: +6 Will: -1
Perception: +5
Current Weapon in Hand:
Current Conditions in Effect:

Used Items:
[/sblock]

SinisterRogue

First Post
Aeron studied Dane and Samad a moment before responding to Paskell. "Maybe those two do have different priorities than myself but as I see it, searching the tower and searching through the tower for Baggio align quite well. That being said, if we do go in there at night and are met with a substantial resistance or are put into an extremely precarious position, I have no doubt that I would be one of the first to abandon the endeavor until more favorable circumstances." After saying that, Aeron casually walked over to the farmer before turning to address the group once more. "Paskell is right though, we all are probably a bit tired, a bit fatigued from the day, but I think we aren't fully weighing the merits a night excursion could offer and we could miss an opportunity if we wait till the sunrise." Aeron shifts his gaze from each member to ensure he has their attention. "Like Paskell said, if we go in during the night, torches ablaze, anything with half-decent vision should be able to see us. If something or somethings are within the tower causing that ghastly smell, then having a light in the midst of darkness should draw them to us like moths to a flame; letting us deal with any unsavory creatures without having to ferret them out of every nook and cranny of their dwarven tower. As for the matter of light, I'm would be somewhat surprised if none of you thought that adventuring wasn't both a day and night activity, and had planned accordingly. Regardless, I'm sure that Mallack might be willing to give us some torches in exchange for good coin." Aeron gives a hopeful look to the old farmer before giving one last remark to Paskell. "And I'm am sure the others, myself included, are fine with having dinner before we commit to any action."

View attachment 56109
Aeron

Used Items:
[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
"Ayuh, I can let you folk have a couple of torches, if'n you want. I got plenty of 'em, on account of the wolves. Speaking of that -- afore dinner, I ought go out and get the pens lit up, keep m' pigs safe." He stands up and takes a large, heavy crossbow from a closet. He cocks it with practiced ease, and then heads toward the door. "Won't be a moment," he says.

ivio_150_zpsfde60585.jpg

...... Ivio Mallack ......

Commander_Fallout

First Post
Mallack left, leading to long, awkward silence. Samad spoke up, "So, what are we going to do now?"

[sblock=Samad's Mini Stats]
portrait_zpsb29a81b5.png

Samad Salil
CMB: +1 CMD: 14
Fort: +0 Reflex: +5 Will: +2
Perception: +6, Low Light Vision
Initiative: +5
Spells Remaining (1st): 3/3

Used Items:
N/A
[/sblock]

SpicyWaffle

First Post
Silently, Dane watched as Aeron and Paskell debated the merits of trudging into the dwarven ruins in the dead of night, arms crossed as he too was swept up in the conversation. He'd have been content to remain doing so, but when Paskell finally relented, Dane found himself both relieved and elated; a wry, almost hawkish grin creeping its way across his lips. It might not have been the right thing to do, what with the Tengu seeming as though his arm had been twisted, but at least they were all moving together -- one could only hope now that it was in the right direction.

"That'd be great if you could," agreed Dane as Mallack prepared to see about those pigs of his, crossbow at the ready. The old farmer seemed confident in his task, and as he made his way out, the adventurous scion returned his focus to the matter at hand.

"Looks like we're all in agreement," he hummed, clapping his hands together as if in some symbolic form of acceptance as he maneuvered his way through the farmers' home to take a seat at the table, slinging his pack off of his shoulder before rummaging through it. Throwing a glance towards the fellow whom had spewed humor on the cart ride here as the young human pulled out a well-worn whetstone, Dane gave his feathered friend a minor nod of concession before drawing the sword at the small of his back free and setting the stone to work. Paskell at least deserved a hot meal, he supposed.

"Alright. We'll take a few minutes, get some food in us, then head out,"
Dane added as Samad spoke up, still focused on sharpening his blade.

[sblock=Dane's Mini Stats]

ff14-hyur-male-initial-gearBustampTokenVersion_zpsda1a8a4d.jpg

Dane Mazelo
AC: 16 (13 flat-footed, 13 touch)
HP: 16/16
CMB: +2 CMD: 15
Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Perception: +1
Initiative: +3
Current Weapon in Hand: Gauntlets (+4, 1d3+1, 20x2)

Used Items:
---
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
The old farmer comes back inside after a few minutes, puts the crossbow by the door, and begins cooking dinner. In the distance, a wolf howls, and then another answers the first. Ivio looks back at the group quizzically. "I knows you're experienced at this kind of thing, but the wolves are out tonight, and it's a long mile or so a-tween here and the tower with no trees to climb if they decide to have a run at ya. And you sure you want to be prowling around crumbly ruins with nothing but torches to see by?" He nods to Aeron. "Begging pardon to the hellspawn, o' course. I expects it don't bother your kind none, being the kin of all kinds of unholy things what lurk in darkness and suchlike. Even setting aside the night, I'd be plumb tuckered just from coming out here from the city."

ivio_150_zpsfde60585.jpg

...... Ivio Mallack ......

GM: GM is hinting that settling in for the night is the better option.

Last edited:

omnitricks

First Post
Dane looked so smug about getting Paskell to follow them but did he really know what the tengu would or...would not do? He would know soon enough. When Mallack returned, Paskell said right away "that's what I was telling them but they still think they should foolishly go after Baggio despite the risks. And no Mr Mallack, I'm not experienced but I am still under a contract to do your job which was why I was hoping you can dissuade them from going after Baggio. I was already planning to escape on my own as soon as we get attacked under unfavorable conditions by anything like the hellspawns or unholy things you just mentioned but maybe now I won't have to especially when you've just said we shouldn't be going out now."

Looking at the rest of the group with a grin much like Dane's just moments ago Paskell asked just one question. "Now do you still want to go out despite our employer, which knows the area well repeating what I have just said all this time?" If they do, maybe Paskell won't feel so bad for planning to leave them to die after all.

[sblock=Paskell's Mini Stats]
Tengu.jpg

Paskell
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 8/8
CMB: +0 CMD: 14
Fort: 0 Reflex: +6 Will: -1
Perception: +5
Current Weapon in Hand:
Current Conditions in Effect:

Used Items:
[/sblock]

Last edited:

SpicyWaffle

First Post
With Mallack's return, Dane almost seemed to reconsider the prospect. True, trudging into the dark wasn't his first choice, but with time of the essence and a man potentially in danger, he'd almost felt it to be a compulsory necessity, shoving whatever sensibilities for his own safety aside. Indeed, he was all set to plead his case once more -- but then, Paskell opened his beak, and whatever sense of civility remained on the young, brash human's face quickly evaporated into an eerie glare. The quiet grind of stone against steel abruptly ended mid-stroke as he just looked on at the Tengu; silent as the grave. Whether it was the bird-man's brazen mention of leaving them in the lurch in the dead of night like some distrustful sneak-thief should things go awry even in the slightest, or the twisting of Mallack's words into a more favorable argument, the impudent human didn't say as he pursed his lips much like a blacksmith wraps steel. Whatever was going on with the gears inside his mind between the gritting of his teeth and the narrowing of eyes, Dane said nothing for what must have felt like an impossibly long moment, a look of utter sourness etched into his very visage right up until the moment he pulled himself away from Paskell.

Again, Dane began to say something, lips moving before sealing faster than one might imagine. It didn't take a lady of the court to see it; his words, whatever they might have been, were laced with venom of the illest sort. Another heartbeat passed as the boy took a deep breath, returning his distant gaze to the farmer whom had so humbly taken in the men willing to help him in what must have been a supreme effort of sheer willpower.

"Fine," the young sellsword said with only the faintest hint of politeness, granting the farmer a small -- if not earnest -- nod. His stomach felt like it was in knots, but there he was, bearing and grinning (if such a thing could even be called that), as he slowly returned to the task of sharpening his blade; anything to keep his mind in-check and his tongue from serving as a barbed whip. "We'll hunker down for the night, and head out at first light, Mallack."

And with that, young Dane fell silent again, face unflinching and devoid of worry; a clever facade, and all but transparent. Save for one last fleeting glance towards the Tengu so willing to desert them, the mercenary warrior was otherwise focused on the task at hand. Come what may tomorrow, whether Baggio lived or had been shuffled into which ever realm he was most deserving, the colors of the four men present would be shown. For the first time since leaving home, Dane now felt an inkling of doubt -- but he was, if nothing else, a man of his word. He would see this contract through to the end, a task he knew he could not accomplish alone. If this was their decision, then he would give them their satisfaction. What choice did he have, save but to play the fool in one final act should he stride out alone?

[sblock=Dane's Mini Stats]

ff14-hyur-male-initial-gearBustampTokenVersion_zpsda1a8a4d.jpg

Dane Mazelo
AC: 16 (13 flat-footed, 13 touch)
HP: 16/16
CMB: +2 CMD: 15
Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Perception: +1
Initiative: +3
Current Weapon in Hand: Gauntlets (+4, 1d3+1, 20x2)

Used Items:
---
[/sblock]

SinisterRogue

First Post
Aeron quietly watched the exchange between Paskell and Dane. There was a growing tension between the two, one which Aeron thought could be problematic in the future. Though Aeron preferred to work alone, he recognized a group's strength lies in its unity. Without it, each member becomes a potential liability and damages the chance of success for a job; that was something Aeron couldn't abide and, unfortunately, he felt he might need to help quell the problem should tensions continue to rise. Regardless, Dane had relented when Mallack mentioned wolves stalking about the night and had agreed, grudgingly, to wait till morning. Aeron still didn't truly care either way, so long as the job was completed to the Guild's specifications. "I am going to get some sleep then," Aeron says hoping to change the topic and release some of the animosity he perceived in the air. "Lets break out at dawn to make the most of the daylight. No telling how long we might spend in the tower." With a nod to the others, Aeron stepped out of Mallack's home and made his way to the barn since he no longer wanted to stay within the uncomfortable atmosphere of the house. Finding a relatively flat area of the barn's floor, Aeron unrolled his bedroll and slid his backpack down to the ground next to him. Inside his backpack, Aeron pulled out one of his trail rations and began to eat the cold, filling yet unsatisfying food. The bland, dry food was quickly gone and Aeron slid into his bedroll, one hand clutching the hilt of his scimitar while the other lay on his spellbook which rested on his chest. Sleep quickly claimed him while his first true adventure waited around the corner.

View attachment 56109
Aeron

Used Items:
[/sblock]

OOC: Aeron will be go over his spellbook and prepare Color Spray instead of True Strike before he goes to sleep.

Last edited:

Remove ads