[LPF] Uncertain Whereabouts

Qik

First Post
"Hmm..." ponders the gnome, "a good question. I have not had any direct dealings with Issolatha - when it comes to the art of seeing, I prefer to go straight to the source. I have met a few of her followers, but all have been benevolent folk, with none of the subterfuge that the Ears seem to possess. I am known among those who practice the art in the area, so I am not overly surprised that the Ears would have heard of me. Plus, I am one of the very few of my kind not aligned with an order or a deity, which perhaps would make me an attractive target," finishes the gnome, refilling his cup of tea along with anyone else who has need of it.

Satin Knights

First Post
Arianna listens quietly. She pulls three grapes from her pouch from breakfast. She eats two, and places the third on the table where Nora would have a chance to get to it.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC]
Songdragon said:
She asks and then sips her tea, "If I might ask, what has brought you to Venza and then along on Mr. Gnome's undertaking?"

I don't wish to have this go unanswered but I don't know to whom you are asking. Please let me know.[/sblock]

"Then we need to find the location of this cult," Ioseph says grimly. "And see if they wish to negotate or..." he leaves the rest unfinished still confused by his feelings in the cave.

Songdragon

Explorer
(( HM... Saranna was asking everyone of the group. ))

(( Knowledge (local) for Ears of Whisperer 1d20+6=10... and moving on... ))

"These Ears of Whisperer, are they a group in Venza or of this area you dwell? You have mentioned Issolatha as a halfling god, would that mean these Ears are halflings?" Saranna asks, as she seems to get into the investigative mode.

Qik

First Post
[sblock=Songdragon]Saranna has heard mention of the Ears of the Whisperer during her short time in Venza; depending on who you ask, they can be portrayed anywhere between simply an unusually inclusive and private religious order to a nefarious cult.

Also worth mentioning that since we're less than a day's travel from the main city, there likely isn't much distinction between this area and Venza, particularly in terms of religious pantheon.[/sblock]

"From what I understand, the Ears have sects throughout the region, although they seem to prefer the privacy of the rural areas outside of Venza itself. As for the racial make up of the members....one can only guess. It stands to reason that halflings do form a good portion of their membership, but this area is such a melting pot, with so many sorts of creatures drawn to Venza - just look at yourselves - that one cannot say for certain whether others may have taken to this goddess."

Turning to Ioseph, the gnome adds, "That is my hope, dear sir, that we may divine the location of whomever may be responsible for the theft and the attack, be they the Ears or otherwise. Ideally, this location would lead us both to my sacred item as well as the thieves in question."

Satin Knights

First Post
Arianna (Mermaid Synthesist 1)

"Well, wandering around and asking questions is not my forte. I kind of stand out whichever form I take." She continues munching on her juicy fruits.

Qik

First Post
The gnome finishes the last of his tea and looks to the others. "Perhaps we should get started now, no?"

Hopping off of his chair, he leads the quartet down a short hallway and into a small room that fits the generic conception of a medium's parlor: a small circular table is surrounded by a few chairs. The gnome waves his hand dismissively at the set-up. "This is just for show; I do my real work elsewhere." Moving to one corner of the room, the gnome whispers what turns out to be an incantation - and a fairly elaborate one at that - and when he steps back, a small hatch that was previously invisible sits where he stood. Lifting the hatch, the gnome makes his way in up to his neck before turning to the others to say, "It might be a bit of a squeeze for some of you, but we'll manage. Come, come..." he entreats, descending the rest of the way.

Making their way one by one into the hidden room, the four are struck by its contrast to the generic nature of the one they've just left: this room is clearly the workroom of an arcanist. Strange runes adorn the walls, unidentifiable trinkets of all shapes, sizes, and colors hang from the ceiling, and the walls are lined with shelves containing ancient-looking books and scrolls as well as all manner of exotic items. Several lanterns hang from the ceiling, illuminating the room, though their light is slightly dimmer than the level a human would find comfortable. Making his way over to a gold case perched in the center of one shelf, the gnome whispers under his breath once again, and the group hears a slight click. Lifting its lid, he pulls out a deck of thirty or so cards, then makes his way over to the large oak table at the center of the room (which is much larger than the one above it), gesturing to the others to sit as well. Pulling a deck out of his pocket, he begins to shuffle these two together. "Since the theft, I have been extra careful with my more important cards," he explains. After a time, he ceases. "Now: I'm going to begin my inquiry. Once I reach a proper starting point, I will let you all know, and then you must begin to concentrate on whatever aspects of the image or subject which capture your mind and engage your expertise. You may speak aloud, to yourself, the others, or myself, if it helps you focus your thoughts. If you have questions, ask. Now," says the gnome, an eager glint in his eyes, "let us begin."

The gnome gives the cards on last shuffle, then overturns the first one. Oddly, the image is blank: a border without an image within. "Aha!" the gnome exclaims. "We start fresh." He seems pleased with this apparently auspicious start. Closing his eyes, he begins to murmur to himself. At first, the others see nothing, but soon, as before, the card's surface begins to take on a life of its own. The swirling, blurred image coalesces as it emerges from the cards surface out into the room itself. As it takes shape, the group can see that it is itself a deck of cards, which the others take to be those taken from the gnome. With a nod, the gnome signals for the others to begin.

[sblock=OOC/Mechanics]To start off with, I'd like one to two rolls from each of you: one of your own checks, an Aid Another check, or one of each, if you'd like. The first skills we'll be using are Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (Local), and Perception. I only want one "main" roll for each skill, meaning that if Arianna rolls Perception, no one else should roll for that skill unless attempting to Aid Another. If you'd like, you can roll an Aid Another for a skill before someone rolls the main skill (for example, since Arianna has the best Perception bonus, she should probably be the main roll, but if someone goes before her, they can say they're AAing her yet-to-come roll). Don't forget your books![/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
The young halfling watches an apparent of magical craft in wonderment and almost misses the gnome's nod to begin. She starts out by hefting the tome she was given in Venza. She closes her eyes and concentrates focusing on the thoughts that jump to mind as she flips through the tome. A third of the way through she stops for no reason and aloud, "I see something..."

(( Knowledge (local) 1d20+8=25... ))

She describes the scene that seems to crystalize within her mind... when she is done, she waits to see where she might be needed by the others to help them...

sunshadow21

Explorer
Thuvian watches his host go through his strange process, having little problem focusing on his chosen field in surroundings he hasn't seen since his days as an actual student, days he often misses sorely. Nora will watch the group as she eats the grape she grabbed when she didn't think anyone was looking.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ioseph thinks on the book he read just the other day. Was there some mention of Issolatha in it? What did he remember of his lessons on other religions and cults.

The answer was not much. The young priest still had a lot to learn of the world and those in it.

OCC: Going to roll Know(religion) +6, and aid another for Know (arcana) +0 to see if we can get sunshadow21's check to at least 25

Last edited:

Remove ads