[LPF] Veiled Antics

perrinmiller

Villager
A job to help a lady in veil

DM: Perrinmiller
Judge: Aura (for number checking later)


Heroes:
Aura: Charity - Hospitaler Paladin
Lindeloef: Robert Kronbark - Ranger (Skirmisher)
Perrinmiller: Jamir Harkness - NPC Bard


[sblock=XP]Clock Starts on 22 Nov 2014 (21 Nov in the tracker) & Ends ___
Charity started at 5,756XP; 4th Level 8 Dec 2014 at 6,011XP;
Robert started at 7,614XP; 5th Level 2 Feb 2015 at 10,020XP;
Jamir started at 5,000XP; Leveled to 4th on 1 Feb 2015

Enc1: 800xp each (26 Jan 2015)
Enc2: 800xp each (20 Feb 2015)
[/sblock][sblock=Treasury]Enc1: 4 Mwk Shortswords (1240gp), 4 Lt Crossbows (140gp)
Enc 2: +1 Breastplate (1350gp), +1 Mithral Rapier (3320gp), 10gp

Total = 6060gp (2020gp each)[/sblock][Sblock=Final Awards]
Totals:
Charity gained 3404XP & finished at 9415XP & Earned +4359gp
Robert gained 3560XP & finished at 11548XP & Earned +4651gp


[/Sblock][sblock=Adventure Rules]* I will use group initiatives, rolling them myself. So in combat you must post your actions within 48-72 hours of the players turn coming up. Unless stated by a character that their actions are to follow another character, they will be resolved in posted order. After that time, if there was no communication with the DM, I will NPC the MIA player and move on.

* Dice rollers can be Invisible Castle or http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/ on-line dice rollers for the players. The DM will use his own purple dice at home or an on-line random number generator.

* Please use the exact BBCode link Invisible Castle provides. This requires an Account at Invisible Castle to add. I want to see what the roll is for and the target designated (ie. "Bite vs. Orc 4") in the description block that is provided when you are logged in. Including the modifiers that make the bonuses different than normal can also be included. This example would be ideal: Spiked Chain vs. Orc 4 (Kn Dev & -2/+4 PA) (1d20+11=12, 2d4+10=14)
I would appreciate not having to take any extra time to click any links during my updates.

* Any absences for longer than 2-3 days should be communicated to the DM. If you do not post for a week or more without having informed the DM, he reserves the right to remove you from the adventure giving you your share of the XP and treasure earned as well as time XP and gp to the date of your last post

* If your character gets enough XP to level, generally you may do so immediately once combat is finished. Subject to DM approval if the timing is okay. Regardless the date of actual leveling will not change even if use of the new level is delayed in IC action.

* Leveling up mid-campaign: This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable.

* All characters need an appropriate character picture, head-shot preferably, for token on the tactical grids and in every IC post. Also a mini-stat spoiler block that includes a link to your character sheet will be required in every IC post.

* Game Mechanics should be placed in a sblock, leaving only IC content/narration & a character avatar in the meat of a post.

* Do not quote another person's IC content in your post narration.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Aura

Villager
[sblock=Judge Notes]As already noted, my role as judge is fairly minor: I bless the numbers at the end. There will be no judge interjections during the game (which are few and far between in most games, anyway.) Remove judge hat; put on player hat. Enjoy the game, everyone![/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

Jasmine leaned closer so only Jamir, Robert, and Charity could here and said softly, "I have to be sure that we keep this to ourselves, I do not want anyone to catch wind of what is going on. Just in case there are those that could warn this gang."

"This gang of ratkin managed to steal significant amount of gemstones from me. I thought they were my friends and business partners, but they decided to double cross me instead. They think they have me beat in this since I cannot do much on my won to get my valuables back."

"However, with your help that can change. I happen to know where they are holed up in an abandoned warehouse. They have a trap door underneath to an underground lair. This is why sneaking in and out will be impossible."
 
Last edited:

Aura

Villager
Charity, Human Female
Charity seems intent on listening for some time, and doesn't speak until Jasmine finishes and Robert quips about Ratkin. At that point, she asks, "So, what do you know about the composition and resources of this gang? You seem to know they have an underground lair, anything about the layout? And these Ratkin, can you describe them, and do they operate in the shadows or by disguise? I've never heard of them." The young Venzan woman pauses a moment, thinking, before continuing in a more subdued voice, "Or it could merely be a measure of my relative ignorance on the subject, come to think of it."

[sblock=Sense Motive and Opening Comment]Charity's Sense Motive is +7 for purposes of measuring if there is any deception in the story. I prefer to not roll myself unless the DM says otherwise, but rather note when my character is most likely to be watching for the signs. Let me know how you feel on this, pm. :)

I'd also like to say thanks in advance for taking a small group on like this. Charity and Robert had been in the Inn for a while and didn't seem to be falling into the more populated level groups.[/sblock]

[sblock=Charity Mini Stats]Charity
AC: 11 (10 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 32/32
CMB: +5 CMD: 16

Fort: +7 Reflex: +6 Will: +7
Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +7
Initiative: +1

Lay on Hands remaining: 4/4
Smite remaining: 1/1

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: none[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

Jamir nodded, “Sounds straight forward enough.”

“All of those questions she asked sound good to me.”
he added by inclining he head towards Charity.

“Are you going to come with us? Then this pack of rats will know we are on a noble quest of recovery instead of simple robbery. By the way, I did not catch any of your names.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]NPC Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +3
AC: 17 (15 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +4 CMD: 16(14ff) Fort: +2 Reflex: +5 Will: +3
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 12/12 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights]
1st Level 4/4 [Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards, Cause Fear (DC15)][/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

"Jasmine Mustari, Jamir."

Jasmine looked understanding about the questions for additional information.

“Oh, I meant ratkin. You know, the humanoid looking kind that have whiskers and tails, but still walk upright even if they are a little hunched. One was a little pudgy with dark grey fur. Another looked like he had weasel blood in his lineage. And Notch had a knick taken out of his ear, thus his name, and his fur looked somewhat mangy.”

“But do not let that fool you; they are pretty tough. They can be sneaky and scrappy fighters too from what I have heard.”


Near as Charity and the rest of you can tell, the veiled woman’s story appears to be on the level.

She continued, “This is why I need some help. Alone they would outnumber me, but with you three it is even odds I think.”

“I have not seen their lair myself, only heard the three thieves that betrayed me mention it. I know they have at least one more companion since they made reference to him. So, I cannot tell you how many they number or far down the lair goes. I would not be surprised if they have a hidden escape route either, but no proof it exists.”


[sblock=GM Note]Sure, I like that method of using of Sense Motive, Aura. I don’t mind rolling for you with my real dice.

While around a table it is an active skill, in reality knowing you have a high or low result provides meta-game information that a character might not have.[/sblock]
 

Aura

Villager
Charity, Human Female
Jamir's comment about names elicits an surprised expression from Charity. "Oh, my apologies, my name is Charity. I work down at the Cathedral of Glass, mostly as a guard," she begins, before shifting gears to her potential employer. "Well, it isn't the most detailed information, but it's better than no information, that is for sure. I have to admit, I'd rather expect a secret escape or something like that. It's how I've heard the stories of such things told by wandering bards and such. Although, the more exits there are, the more likely one of them might be discovered, so it's not a given, I suppose."

[sblock=GM]That sounds good, thank you.[/sblock]
[sblock=Charity Mini Stats]Charity
AC: 11 (10 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 32/32
CMB: +5 CMD: 16

Fort: +7 Reflex: +6 Will: +7
Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +7
Initiative: +1

Lay on Hands remaining: 4/4
Smite remaining: 1/1

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: none[/sblock]
 

Lindeloef

Villager
Robert Kronbark



"Excellent." Robert replies to the confirmation that he will face humanoid Rats soon. "Charity and I are kinda experts in killing human sized rats."

Addressing Jamir, Robert says "Robert is the name. Nice to meet you.. Jamir was it? I am really bad with names, good thing yours so short."


[sblock=Mini Stats]

Robert Kronbark
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 42/42
CMB: +9 CMD: 23
Fort: +5 Reflex: +7 Will: +2
Perception: +7
Initiative: +3

Current Weapon in Hand: none

Favored Enemy: Human (+2 to attack and damage rolls)

[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

Jamir nodded as the others introduced themselves to acknowledge the names.

He looked to Charity and added, “Oh aye, a secret escape route into the sewers would be as cliche as they come. But we are talking about rats and sewers are their favorite place, yeah?”

“Do you think we should try looking for such a thing, Charity?”

“Or would scouting around tip our hand and ruin any chance of surprising them?”


[sblock=Mini Stats]NPC Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +3
AC: 17 (15 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +4 CMD: 16(14ff) Fort: +2 Reflex: +5 Will: +3
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 12/12 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights]
1st Level 4/4 [Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards, Cause Fear (DC15)][/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

Jasmine shrugged at the bard's questions and looked to Charity and Robert.

She appeared to be satisfied with the warrior's bravado when it came to killing humanoid rats, "I guess I have chosen wisely on those who can help me."

[sblock=Combat Information]
Code:
Charity:   32/32 HP remaining;
Robert:    42/42 HP remaining:
Jamir:     23/23 HP remaining;

Spells Cast: 
Abilities Used:
   Charity: Smite Evil 0/1, Lay on Hands 0/4
   Jamir:   Bard Perf (lingering) 0/12, Spells 1st 0/4
Conditions in effect:
[/sblock]
 

Aura

Villager
Charity, Human Female
Twirling one of her red locks around her finger absentmindedly, Charity considers Jamir's question. "Hunh, I hadn't thought that far in advance. Might be worthwhile, but only if we're relatively unsure they are not preparing to escape. Otherwise, while we search, they can just walk out the front door. And, as you mention, if they hear us in the process, the gig may well be up. But, if we think they are intent on staying…" Green eyes look over to Jasmine as Charity's words fall off.

[sblock=Charity Mini Stats]Charity
AC: 11 (10 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 32/32
CMB: +5 CMD: 16

Fort: +7 Reflex: +6 Will: +7
Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +7
Initiative: +1

Lay on Hands remaining: 4/4
Smite remaining: 1/1

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: none[/sblock]
 

Lindeloef

Villager


"I mean we can sit around and discuss our options all day long, but I don't think we have enough people to surround a warehouse and cover all the possible exits with just the four of us. And even if could, we'd be so spread out that they still could easily escape by overpowering the one unlucky soul. What speaks against the good old knocking at the front door?" The Ranger ponders.

[sblock=Mini Stats]

Robert Kronbark
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 42/42
CMB: +9 CMD: 23
Fort: +5 Reflex: +7 Will: +2
Perception: +7
Initiative: +3

Current Weapon in Hand: none

Favored Enemy: Human (+2 to attack and damage rolls)

[/sblock]
 

Aura

Villager
Charity, Human Female
"Hunh, yeah… there are too few of us to split up, that is for sure, Robert," Charity begins, lightly drumming her fingers on the table-top as she speaks. "I am thinking that means it boils down to two ideas. Either we think we can search for a secret escape covertly and give that a go, or we are not sufficiently assured of that and go for the 'front door', so to speak. Am I missing anything?"

[sblock=Charity Mini Stats]Charity
AC: 11 (10 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 32/32
CMB: +5 CMD: 16

Fort: +7 Reflex: +6 Will: +7
Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +7
Initiative: +1

Lay on Hands remaining: 4/4
Smite remaining: 1/1

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: none[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

Jamir tapped his lower lip with his finger and looked towards the ceiling as he considered.

“Well… if we actually snuck around unnoticed and found such a bolt hole, we could potentially bar it and keep them from escaping when we go in the main entrance. That sounds like a good idea.”

“However, stealth is not everyone’s forte and that could only alert the rats inside and make it worse.”


He smiled and looked to the rest of them around the table, “No, I think you have it correct, Charity. But Robert has a good point. Mayhap the best course of action is to quickly rush the front entrance to their lair and hope to catch them off guard enough. If any escape, they escape. Jasmine just wants her stuff back, not for us to kill or capture them.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]NPC Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +3
AC: 17 (15 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +4 CMD: 16(14ff) Fort: +2 Reflex: +5 Will: +3
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 12/12 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights]
1st Level 4/4 [Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards, Cause Fear (DC15)][/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

Jasmine shrugged at Charity’s question about the ratkin abandoning their lair and then listened as you continued to discuss.

She added, “I cannot really say for sure how attached they are to their lair or even what we can expect. I really only know the location of the warehouse and that they said it is underneath it. Presumably there is a trap door or something in the floor, in all likelihood hidden.”

“And aye. You need not kill them all, as long as none escape with my valuables. Though, you might think differently about killing all them after you have met them. You might not want enemies like them stalking you for revenge later.”


[sblock=Combat Information]
Code:
Charity:   32/32 HP remaining;
Robert:    42/42 HP remaining:
Jamir:     23/23 HP remaining;

Spells Cast: 
Abilities Used:
   Charity: Smite Evil 0/1, Lay on Hands 0/4
   Jamir:   Bard Perf (lingering) 0/12, Spells 1st 0/4
Conditions in effect:
[/sblock]
 

Lindeloef

Villager


"Jasmine, are the things that you want back flammable? 'Cause there could be another way to find all the exits. We just observe where all the Ratkin are swarming out of." Robert says with a grin on his face, making it obvious that he is not serious with his proposal.


[sblock=Mini Stats]

Robert Kronbark
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 42/42
CMB: +9 CMD: 23
Fort: +5 Reflex: +7 Will: +2
Perception: +7
Initiative: +3

Current Weapon in Hand: none

Favored Enemy: Human (+2 to attack and damage rolls)

[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager

Jasmine had a disapproving look as she thought she understood what Robert was driving at.

“If the fire is hot enough, it will certainly damage the jewelry. And if it were that easy to just burn the warehouse down, why would I need you three? Besides, the authorities might care if the entire neighborhood burns down if a fire that big gets out of control.”

[sblock=Combat Information]
Code:
Charity:   32/32 HP remaining;
Robert:    42/42 HP remaining:
Jamir:     23/23 HP remaining;

Spells Cast: 
Abilities Used:
   Charity: Smite Evil 0/1, Lay on Hands 0/4
   Jamir:   Bard Perf (lingering) 0/12, Spells 1st 0/4
Conditions in effect:
[/sblock]
 

Aura

Villager
Charity, Human Female
Charity chuckles quietly before resuming her composure. "Well, I don't think Robert is being very serious, but yes, we would not want to cause the next 'Great Fire of Venza' or whatever. I'm sure the White Cloaks would frown on that kind of thing… for obvious reasons." She pauses and thinks a moment before continuing, filling time with more drumming of her fingers on the table. "Hunh… well, I think that the strongest plan is twofold: quietly find the front entrance, then attack suddenly. It has the merit of simplicity. And if they give up the jewels without perishing, that's fine, but it seems unlikely from the description we've been given. So, I'm not going to get overly-concerned with the idea they might seek vengeance if they survive--we can think that one over if it becomes germane.

"So," the Cortesian guard begins, switching subjects, "I've taken to not hanging around the Inn with my gear; I'll need to pick it up. Anything else before we head to the site?"

[sblock=Charity Mini Stats]Charity
AC: 11 (10 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 32/32
CMB: +5 CMD: 16

Fort: +7 Reflex: +6 Will: +7
Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +7
Initiative: +1

Lay on Hands remaining: 4/4
Smite remaining: 1/1

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: none[/sblock]
 

Lindeloef

Villager


"In what part of the city is that warehouse? Can one stroll past the place without looking out of place?" Robert asks "If so we could scout the area a bit. That should help finalizing the plan."

[sblock=Mini Stats]

Robert Kronbark
AC: 18 (14 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 42/42
CMB: +9 CMD: 23
Fort: +5 Reflex: +7 Will: +2
Perception: +7
Initiative: +3

Current Weapon in Hand: none

Favored Enemy: Human (+2 to attack and damage rolls)

[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top