D&D 5E ludonarrative dissonance of hitpoints in D&D

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That does seem intriguing... Similar to something I have been considering do i spend HPs or Accept a Wound now (an affliction of some sort)

The affliction is an impairment which periodically surfaces till healed with the impairment recurring and tied to saving throws

How is this any different from how HP already work. You "spend" them to resist the effects of a damaging source. When you run out, you can't resist anymore and you are removed from the action (i.e. unconscious, dying, etc.).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
How is this any different from how HP already work. You "spend" them to resist the effects of a damaging source. When you run out, you can't resist anymore and you are removed from the action (i.e. unconscious, dying, etc.).
The distinction is you can choose not to spend them right now and accept an impairment.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The distinction is you can choose not to spend them right now and accept an impairment.

Oh, got it. Hmm... I suppose something like that could be created but I don't know if it would work well or not. Whenever choice is added to the stream of play, it slows and bogs things down more often than not. Whether or not the choice is worth the trade-off of having the option is up to the individual table.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Oh, got it. Hmm... I suppose something like that could be created but I don't know if it would work well or not.
People wanting critical hits to be wounds this puts it in player hands ( additionally one might give advantage to their next move for the surprise move which might be seen as not defending ;) )

Additionally in most cases the impairment adds complexity too

For instance I figured after wounding the impairment would kick in when the player rolled a 1 or 2 or 19 or 20 (or maybe just 1 and 20 after a while) as extremes of performance are easy to notice. I fall prone due to leg damage till the wound is healed on those extreme rolls (for the first attack or physically active action like running each round). Or stomach wound makes me slowed under those conditions or some such.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The earliest copyright date I've seen on RQ was '78,
Right the preliminaries to it Dragon Pass were in 75 too so i was misremembering.
and, IIRC, your active defense for dodging was deducted from your opponents attack roll.
Partying though, yes, of course.
There was Defense skill which was a very small number of percentiles subtracted and Dodge which was pretty much like the Parry (It had other differences but not sure what) but its what you did when you didnt have a weapon to parry with.

Regardless basically saving throws against being hit at all... and some variations simplified armor absorption too... by making that an armor absorption roll instead of hit locations

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
People wanting critical hits to be wounds this puts it in player hands ( additionally one might give advantage to their next move for the surprise move which might be seen as not defending ;) )

Additionally in most cases the impairment adds complexity too

For instance I figured after wounding the impairment would kick in when the player rolled a 1 or 2 or 19 or 20 (or maybe just 1 and 20 after a while) as extremes of performance are easy to notice. I fall prone due to leg damage till the wound is healed on those extreme rolls (for the first attack or physically active action like running). Or stomach wound makes me slowed under those conditions or some such.

Again, anything of this nature could certainly be implemented, but with each aspect adds more complexity.

There was once a time when I might have had similar interest, but I have come to the point where I prefer expediency and simplicity over realism and complexity. Even many of the house-rules I write at one point I will often drop later on. Why? Because although they accomplished their purpose, that purpose didn't really result in making the game any more fun.

Remove ads