Lyceian Arcana teasers

Verequus

First Post
Archus said:
I found "Point Buy Numbers" for d20 modern derived from BTN that has level adjustment costs:
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10850.phtml
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3690&

I haven't crunched the numbers there and would rather be able to buy racial abilities in pieces. So I'll be crunching away using the Upper_Krust stuff you sent me.
I've bought it and looked through it. Next to the really sloppy editing (missing sentences everywhere) I saw the table for ECL races - I don't understand the numbers behind it. Maybe there is a typo for ECL+1. It seems, that one has to pay for being an elf, but not for being a human. Did I overlook something?

Plenty would still play clerics since they have healing. I also observed that in Arcana Unearthed, where they have no clerics, that all the magic using classes are attractive for different reasons even though they all get access to healing (Greenbonds are just better at it).
That may be, but those examples use different magic systems. Under AD&D, playing cleric was no fun.

Very good point and there are times I miss that about d20. I worry a little about some players powergaming they hell out of that, but they would always have a weakness. I also worry about some players forgetting to buy some things.

To get Kagome, you would need to break up the cost of BAB into at least ranged and melee.
Without bound limits, you can have experts without having many hit dice. Also, there should be for PCs and other, who have a lot battles, a minimum hit dice limit. At least the half ECL in hit dice, rounded up. Otherwise they'll die too fast. For the powergamers: Kill them. They should worry about their ass. And the forgetful should either have a checklist or buy things in packages, with some additions on their own behalf.

"Point Buy Numbers" actually had some of my same complaints and have a flat increase in cost for Saves and Feats. I'll be using that.

I'm putting together a spreadsheet to watch the costs on various builds of the classes. As long as things are approximate to core d20 within a reasonable range I'll be happy. If things get a little wonky past 15th level, I won't sweat it - as Upper_Krust's analysis shows the higher level CRs are too low anyway (certainly the Bodak my group encountered was way more powerful than the CR indicated).

I may just write a C# program to do character builds - excel can drive me a little batty.
Being a programmer myself, I'd like to see that program. BTW, if you intend to publish it, then it has to be open source because of the OGL, unless you use a script language to parse it.

Remove ads