Lyceian Arcana teasers

Archus

Explorer
Rogue or Monk Mages

RangerWickett,

Between EoMR and the snippets of the Lyceian Arcana there are classes filling the niches of:
* Pure Spellcaster - Mage
* Melee Spellcaster - Mageknight
* Scholar/Skill Focused Spellcaster - Taskmaster
* Religious Warrior - Godhand

Are there going to be core or prestige classes filling the roles of:
* Rogue Mage/Arcane Trickster - You could get close with a Taskmaster and a few levels of rogue (for the sneak attack), but I was wondering if there was anything more directlly applicable.

* Physical Adept - An unarmed combat specalist with magic. You could get there with Mageknight and Monk, but again I was wondering if there was a directly applicable class.

BTW, EoMR is great. I made a 4th level spellcaster today and it was fun - a great number of hard choices to make but the character in the end had more character than your run of the mill wizard and all without needing a prestige class to customize him. Please bring out the Lyceian Arcana soon.

--Archus

First things first, I am feeling very good that we have the second issue of the EN World Gamer in the final stages of layout, which means I pretty much can stop worrying about it. Also, Friday night I saved the world by keeping El Diablo from escaping a small Mexican town in a Call of Cthulhu game.

I am sorry that I haven't replied for about a week, but I'm going to try to reply to everything. If I miss a question someone has asked, just ask it again to get my attention. Here's hoping I can finish in less than three hours, because then I need to get back to Robert Sullivan, he of the saintly patience, who has been waiting about two months for me to give him my opinion of Mechamancy.

As far as when Lyceian Arcana will come out, . . . you might guess that I am hesitant to put up another date, for fear that something else will come up to keep me from following through. The good news is that I'm unemployed, so I have to write to eat, so I plan to spend about 40 hours in the next three days writing, editing, and replying to posts and emails. Yes, my eyes will melt, but I love doing this stuff.

Archus said:
RangerWickett,

Between EoMR and the snippets of the Lyceian Arcana there are classes filling the niches of:
* Pure Spellcaster - Mage
* Melee Spellcaster - Mageknight
* Scholar/Skill Focused Spellcaster - Taskmaster
* Religious Warrior - Godhand

Are there going to be core or prestige classes filling the roles of:
* Rogue Mage/Arcane Trickster - You could get close with a Taskmaster and a few levels of rogue (for the sneak attack), but I was wondering if there was anything more directlly applicable.

* Physical Adept - An unarmed combat specalist with magic. You could get there with Mageknight and Monk, but again I was wondering if there was a directly applicable class.

BTW, EoMR is great. I made a 4th level spellcaster today and it was fun - a great number of hard choices to make but the character in the end had more character than your run of the mill wizard and all without needing a prestige class to customize him. Please bring out the Lyceian Arcana soon.

--Archus

One thing I'll probably cut out of Lyceian Arcana are the prestige classes. I think the core of the system is still pretty flexible, and I'd rather present optional rules in depth, instead of relegating them to prestige classes. That's why there's no "Ritual Mage" prestige class.

As for normal classes, what I have now are:

• Revisions of the core classes, so we have the EOM Bard, the EOM Cleric, etc. Basically it's a hard conversion of core classes to EOM.
  • Arcanist - Spellcasters who focus on learning to wield pure magic, favoring energy effects over objects or creatures. Very intellectual mages, sort of what I would do if I were designing the Wizard class from scratch, just for EOM.
  • Exalten - Like bards, designed specifically to use EOM.
  • Godhand - Like paladins, designed specifically to use EOM.
  • Longwalker - Like druids, designed specifically for EOM. Longwalkers are my favorite of the new classes, because their powers require them to adventure. They become stronger the more places they go to, unlike the classic image of the druid who just sits in his grove and tends to one small area.

I might include the Tel Shalanth, though I'd feel a little self-absorbed if I did. They're basically Elvish magical martial artists from my personal campaign. Monks get to deflect arrows; these guys get to deflect spells. Actually, they're pretty much a fanboyish fantasy remix of anime heroes who can channel ki into energy blasts and such. I might save them for something later, though.

I don't really know what one would want specifically out of an arcane trickster that you can't do with mage/rogue. I'm really not that fond of the prestige classes that exist in 3.5 just to let you multiclass without being weak. The Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, and Mystic Theurge, as written, just aren't that interesting. They don't have much flavor.

Of course, I was convinced that Theurges can be pretty cool by Hellhound's mini-book, The Secrets of Theurgy, since he played around with what theurgical magic actually meant, instead of just having bland rules.

Not sure where I'm going with this line of thought. Hm.

Last edited:

The Goblin King

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I might include the Tel Shalanth, though I'd feel a little self-absorbed if I did. They're basically Elvish magical martial artists from my personal campaign. Monks get to deflect arrows; these guys get to deflect spells. Actually, they're pretty much a fanboyish fantasy remix of anime heroes who can channel ki into energy blasts and such. I might save them for something later, though.

I would be interested in seeing them.

Archus

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
One thing I'll probably cut out of Lyceian Arcana are the prestige classes. I think the core of the system is still pretty flexible, and I'd rather present optional rules in depth, instead of relegating them to prestige classes. That's why there's no "Ritual Mage" prestige class.
Actually I agree. There are too many prestige classes that basically give you what multiclassing should handle. That is why I remove multiclassing restrictions and try to save prestige classes for what fits in the world.

I'll also be using something from the Unearthed Arcana and granting virtual spellcasting levels for the non-spellcasting classes. Maybe something like every even or third level they get a 1/2 spellcasting level but no spell lists (unless I wanted a really high magic world).

But that might not be necessary if there were rogue and/or monk like magic classes... But while I think about it the only thing missing from the rogue is sneak attack and that can be simulated with some damage boosting spells. The only thing I would really want from the monk is HtH damage progression - other special abilities would be spell lists.
RangerWickett said:
  • Revisions of the core classes, so we have the EOM Bard, the EOM Cleric, etc. Basically it's a hard conversion of core classes to EOM.
  • Arcanist - Spellcasters who focus on learning to wield pure magic, favoring energy effects over objects or creatures. Very intellectual mages, sort of what I would do if I were designing the Wizard class from scratch, just for EOM.
  • Exalten - Like bards, designed specifically to use EOM.
  • Godhand - Like paladins, designed specifically to use EOM.
  • Longwalker - Like druids, designed specifically for EOM. Longwalkers are my favorite of the new classes, because their powers require them to adventure. They become stronger the more places they go to, unlike the classic image of the druid who just sits in his grove and tends to one small area.
Sounds great. I'm especially interested to see if the Arcanist gets abilities to match the standard wizard in fireball like damage. I also like the Longwalker needing to adventure, but what about a long dungeon crawl like "The Worlds Largest Dungeon" where you spend 1st through 20th level in one big dungeon?
RangerWickett said:
I'd like to see them but would probably strip out the Elvish restriction. Personally I'm really fond of anime ki martial artists.
RangerWickett said:
I don't really know what one would want specifically out of an arcane trickster that you can't do with mage/rogue. I'm really not that fond of the prestige classes that exist in 3.5 just to let you multiclass without being weak. The Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, and Mystic Theurge, as written, just aren't that interesting. They don't have much flavor.
The Theurge disturbs me in getting arcane and divine levels. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that in EoMR.

There is one last "missing" class in EoMR - the psychic. I could do this with Silent and Still spell, but having to spend 4 MP per spell more would be crazy. I thought of having a "psychic" tradition that gets silent and still spell for a 0 MP cost, but they have to roll Concentration DC 10 + MP spent to cast any of their spells (fail the roll and loose the MP). Either that or each "spell" doesn't have somatic or verbal components - instead they have 2 obvious manifestations of one of the 5 senses. There could be feats to make the manifestations less obvious.

Verequus

First Post
RangerWickett, could you please look into the post no. 9 and look, if you haven't something forgotten for your revision? Like a better basic explanation or the removing the double of the "regaining of magic points" explanation?

Archus

Explorer
How is the L.A. release going?

Just wondering if L.A. will be release in time for Christmas. I hope to take some time to prep for a new game using EoMR and L.A. during my vacation and start with the new year.

Remove ads