Lyram's Book--Aelwynn Recruiting a Leader

Goken100

First Post
Here is the character sheet. I'll send a more detailed one in the mail as some of the powers might be outside the bounds a bit. I'll post a backstory soon; I have a planned out, just need to write it up. Very tied into the campaign. :)

Edit: The e-mail address you posted doesn't seem to be working. Could there be a typo? In any case I changed out the powers that aren't in the books you mentioned, so hopefully we're good to go.
[sblock=Qinik the Elderly Wizard]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Human, Mage
School: Enchantment School
School: Pyromancy School
Expert Mage Option: Enchantment School Expert
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Dark Sun
Theme: Veiled Alliance

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 17, WIS 11, CHA 15

AC: 22 Fort: 16 Ref: 22 Will: 20
HP: 42 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +8, History +15, Nature +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Athletics +2, Bluff +10, Endurance +4, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +6, Perception +3, Religion +8, Stealth +3, Streetwise +6, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Veiled Alliance Feature: Excise from Sight
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Utility: Spook
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
: Arcane Defiling
Wizard Attack 1: Summon Fire Warrior
Wizard Attack 1: Sleep
Wizard Attack 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Wizard Attack 1: Burning Hands
Wizard Attack 1: Hypnotism
Wizard Attack 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard Attack 1: Magic Missile
Wizard Utility 2: Shield
Veiled Alliance Utility 2: Veiled Arcana
Wizard Attack 3: Blissful Ignorance
Wizard Attack 3: Fire Shroud
Wizard Attack 5: Tasha's Forcible Conscription
Wizard Attack 5: Fireball
Wizard Utility 6: Invisibility
Wizard Utility 6: Dimension Door

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Reflexes
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Leather
Level 4: Arcane Familiar
Level 6: Ritual Caster

ITEMS
Magic Leather Armor +2 x1
Amulet of Seduction +1 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Spellbook
Staff of Sleep and Charm +2 x1
Comprehend Language
Silence
Amanuensis
Brew Potion
Last Sight Vision
Seek Rumor
Wavestrider Enchantment
Familiar Mount
Enchant Magic Item
Transfer Enchantment
Object Reading
Magic Circle
Blessed Book (heroic tier)
Alchemical Reagents (Arcana)
====== End ======
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Goken100

First Post
I've added my background, which I'm quite proud of. Everyone is welcome to read it. :)

I've also added the source of each character element. In doing so I found a few that were a bit out of bounds, so I replaced them. I still have the Pyromancy School apprentice feature, which is from Dragon Magazine. I request that I be able to keep this one feature, as it would be a pain to redesign the character around another school. I've added a description of what an apprentice pyromancer gets.

[sblock=Qinik the Elderly Wizard]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Human, Mage (HotFL)
School: Enchantment School (HotFL)
School: Pyromancy School (DrM 391) - Gain +1 to damage rolls with arcane fire attacks. +2 @ lvl 11, +3 @ 21. Attacks ignore fire resistance.
Expert Mage Option: Enchantment School Expert (HotFL)
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort (HotFL)
Dark Sun
Theme: Veiled Alliance (DS)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 17, WIS 11, CHA 15

AC: 22 Fort: 16 Ref: 22 Will: 20
HP: 42 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +8, History +15, Nature +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Athletics +2, Bluff +10, Endurance +4, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +6, Perception +3, Religion +8, Stealth +3, Streetwise +6, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Veiled Alliance Feature: Excise from Sight (DS)
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort (HotFL)
Wizard Utility: Light (PH1)
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation (PH1)
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound (PH1)
Wizard Attack 1: Summon Fire Warrior (AP)
Wizard Attack 1: Sleep (PH1)
Wizard Attack 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath (HotFL)
Wizard Attack 1: Burning Hands (PH1)
Wizard Attack 1: Hypnotism (HotFL)
Wizard Attack 1: Scorching Burst (PH1)
Wizard Attack 1: Magic Missile (PH1)
Wizard Utility 2: Shield (PH1)
Veiled Alliance Utility 2: Veiled Arcana (DS)
Wizard Attack 3: Blissful Ignorance (HotFL)
Wizard Attack 3: Fire Shroud (PH1)
Wizard Attack 5: Tasha's Forcible Conscription (HotFL)
Wizard Attack 5: Fireball (PH1)
Wizard Utility 6: Invisibility (PH1)
Wizard Utility 6: Dimension Door (PH1)

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Reflexes (HotFL)
Level 1: Staff Expertise (HotFL)
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Leather (PH1)
Level 4: Arcane Familiar (AP)
Level 6: Ritual Caster (PH1)

ITEMS
Magic Leather Armor +2 x1 (PH1)
Amulet of Seduction +1 x1 (PHR:T)
Adventurer's Kit (PH1)
Spellbook (PH1)
Staff of Sleep and Charm +2 x1 (AV2)
Comprehend Language (PH1)
Silence (PH1)
Amanuensis (FRPG)
Brew Potion (PH1)
Last Sight Vision (OG)
Seek Rumor (FRPG)
Tree Stride (PH2)
Duplicate (FRPG)
Enchant Magic Item (PH1)
Transfer Enchantment (AV)
Object Reading (AP)
Magic Circle (PH1)
Blessed Book (heroic tier) (AV2)
Alchemical Reagents (Arcana) (PH1)

Coin: 2pp 60gp
====== End ======
[/sblock]

[sblock=Qinik's Past]
Qinik was born over 60 years ago to a humble goat-herding settlement in remote Xaniatia. His life was unexceptional as a child until one day when he stopped to admire some pretty colors in a hole in the ground. When others in the village noticed what he was doing, they realized that a magical eddy was growing right underneath the center of their village! Just in time, people fled nearby buildings as the buildings began to be pulled into the earth and torn apart.

The people of the community were familiar enough with these rare phenomena that they knew to pack up and head for someplace else for the time being. They also knew how valuable some considered them, so they journeyed to a noble eladrin wizard's hold in the higher reaches to tell him of this. The wizard lord's name was Caviathus, and he was known to be just and fair. He was intrigued that a boy had been the one to first sense the eddy. So Caviathus paid the humble folks both for their valuable information, but also for a new apprentice.

Life was very different and alien living in the mountains and learning magic from the eladrin there. Qinik felt different and alone. As he grew, he felt more and more that his life had no purpose and was barren of something vitally important. But then something changed: Caviathus's daughter, Eviathia, returned to her father's hold after a long absence. Qinik was instantly smitten. He was surprised to learn that Eviathia had gone and joined something called the Silver Society, and was only now returning to retire for that life. This was amazing, for she hardly looked older that Qinik's own 15 years!

Qinik could not believe his luck when Lord Caviathus suggested that Eviathia educate the young human on her journeys as a member of the Silver Society. The two of them grew to be fast friends, and the days were filled with joy and excitement. But after some years passed Qinik realized that he yearned to gain more than just Eviathia's friendship. He wished for her to respect him as an equal, so that he might one day court her properly. He determined that he would find out what sorts of things she would respect, and he would do them!

"Evia," he asked one day, "you have told me of the adventures that you went through in order to aid the world. But how could you know what actions were truly helpful to the people of our land, and which merely beneficial to a few in the short term?"

Eviathia glanced at him with a hint of a grin, giving the slight nod that he knew to mean that he'd asked a good question. "What I tried to do was to find ways to create connections that would LAST. To bring some tool or knowledge to some people that could use it, or to aid in joining two communities together. This might be accomplished by digging up old relics and tomes and delivering them to those who would use them well. But it also might mean aiding in finding the means for a lord to build a new road and driving out the bandits who prey on travelers in the area. Do you see? CONNECTIONS."

"Well," Qinik began thoughtfully, "it seems to me the people of Xaniatia could use more connections too. Helping to protect each other, trading things they need, even sharing magical lore instead of hoarding it!"

Eviathia laughed at his enthusiasm. "Oh, you sound just like I did as a girl. Unfortunately many of the Xaniatians are too proud to accept new ideas or accede to needing any kind of help. Believe me, I've been down that road."

Qinik jumped to his feet with a serious expression on his face. "I'll do it! I don't care how hard it is! I'll help this nation become better by making CONNECTIONS! I won't let anything stand in my way!"

Eviathia's smile faded a bit as she saw how serious Qinik was, and she seemed to regard him with new eyes. "Qinik my young friend, if you could do that, you would prove yourself to be a great man indeed."

And so it was that Qinik began his long quest to strengthen the lands of Xaniathia by bringing threads together and weaving them into a better and more beautiful fabric. He began by volunteering for trading expeditions from Lord Caviathus's hold, and with scholarly missions to further his magical studies. But as he became more accomplished, he was able to bring his magical talents to bear and he began to make real changes. Xaniathia took notice, and began to accompany him and help to champion causes. Together they created connunication networks for mutual defense, loose affiliation for exchanging apprentices (magical and otherwise), and strengthened trade with established routes that were patrolled regularly.

While most of these accomplishments were small in scope, limited to only the neighbors of Caviathus, they started to have a true impact and Qinik and Eviathia began to get a reputation throughout all of Xaniathia. And then the most wonderful thing happened. Qinik and Eviathia turned to one another one day and suddenly knew that they loved one another. So the two were wed, despite Lord Caviathus's mild disapproval over such a humble match for his only daughter. He certainly did not want to stand in the way of her happiness, not when she had been gone from his hold for so long.

Qinik and Eviathia spent many happy years together. Still not all was perfect. Lord Caviathus revealed that he had been suffering from the Dragon Plague for years, and was sterile as a result. When decades went by without conceiving a child, they began to worry to Eviathia might have shared her father's fate. But when it seemed that their chance had passed, their luck changed and Eviathia became quick with child. All were joyous at this news. This was especially Lord Caviathus, who shared that he worried his time in this lands was drawing to a close, and he wished to see his line continued.

Yet the blessing seemed to become as curse as Eviathia's health diminished as the pregnancy progressed. Their worse fears were realized as Eviathia began to show some of the telltale blotches of the Dragon Plague. Qinik desperately used all of his resources to find some way to give Eviathia the strength she needed, but Lord Caviathus simply shook his head gravely and retreated to his tower. As the due date approaches, it became increasingly clear that Eviathia was not likely to survive the pregnancy.

As the painful days wore on and Qinik toiled by Eviathia's side to make her as comfortable as he could, a summons went out for all in the house of Caviathus to gather upon the high court. There Caviathus explained to all under his protection that his daughter's fate was in the balance, and he had taken the only course of action he could find. With that he performed a brief ritual, and a red signal blazed up into the sky. It was immediately answered by a tremendous roar, and a terrifying huge red dragon descended to alight upon the high court.

"The bargain is struck, and I arrive to fulfill by part," the dragon boomed out. "You shall be protected from the ravages of the plague and your line preserved. Are you ready to depart?" This was directed at Caviathus, who nodded grimly. A enormous dragon (though noticeably smaller than the first) landed bearing harness and saddle. Caviathus ordered Eviathia to be secured on the second dragon, but wildly she protested.

"What have you done, father?! What price have you paid?!"

"You know well the price, daughter, and I would pay it many times over to see you safe, though it grieves me."

"NOOO! I won't go! I'll stay and protect them! We don't need you!" Eviathia was screaming and sobbing. Qinik didn't know what was going on, but he did his best to support her and keep her calm in her weakened condition.

Rumbling laughter came from the great and ancient wyrm. "It matters not if you accept what I offer. The bargain is struck, and payment will be taken."

"We can offer some other payment! The bargain can be changed! Please, anything, our resources are vast! My father is mad, he knows not what he does!"

"There is nothing you could offer me that I could not take on my own. I grow weary of this. Now choose so that I may collect what was promised."

"I can give you... what none other can..." Eviathia sobbed weakly. "I can give you... one of the five stones." The great beasts head snapped around at this and he reared to within inches of her slumped form.

"Tell me!" he hissed.

Eviathia glared defiantly. "Know that I would die for this man. Guarantee his safety and I'll tell you where to find it."

"I struck the bargain!" proclaimed Lord Caviathus grimly. "And I must accede to any changes in terms. There can be no change if Eviathia is not taken from here!"

Qinik was finally beginning to understand that Caviathus was perpetrating some horrible betrayal. "What have you done!" Qinik launched himself at his father in law and the two grappled.

Meanwhile the dragon hissed again, "last chance servitor! Tell me what you know!" Eviathia sobbed something in return and the dragon roared triumphantly. Qinik found himself wrenched away the treacherous lord and pinned mercilessly to the ground beneath an enormous talon. "You are lucky this day, lesser! Your life today is valued as equal to the greatest of treasures!"

From between the great claws of the beast, Qinik beheld his wife and her father being fastened to the other dragon and launching into the air. "Now... " the dragon muttered as he turned to the assembled residents of the hold, "these other lessers have no such value." With that flames exploded from the dragon's maw, and everyone was screaming and being silenced. One voice in particular just just kept on screaming and screaming, and it wasn't until years later that Qinik knew that voice to be his own.

Qinik awoke sometime later to find he'd been unceremoniously deposited in a small valley not unlike the one where he grew up. He'd lost everything he cared about and worse, had failed to protect his wife and unborn child. The worst guilt of all was the feeling that if he had found some way to protect Eviathia himself, none of this would have happened. He knew that Eviathia lived somewhere, and would possibly bear his child. But he could not search them out and face them with the stain of failure upon his sole. No, how could Eviathia look upon him with respect ever again after he'd failed her so completely?

Qinik became a man obsessed. He knew his obsessing was madness and likely get him killed, but he cared little. Only one thing mattered. He would find a way to destroy the Dragon Plague. And then he would find his wife and bring her home. Even the mightiest of dragons would not stop Qinik, and he would be only too happy to deliver vengeance to the monsters who murdered everyone in the hold that day if their paths should cross again.

Qinik wandered the continent in search of lore about the plague, looking for any clues to fulfulling his obsession. Years passed and Qinik became an old man, but still he wandered and quested. As some point he joined the Silver Society, as his wife had done long ago, in hopes that their resources would aid him in his goals. Now finally a breakthrough. The very scroll that contains the bargain to release the Dragon Plague has been found. Qinik was among those sent to retrieve it. His long years of toil had paid off, and the day his wife could return home seemed right around the corner.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Ok, I have looked everything over and everything looks fine to me. Sorry to lose a player so soon, but let me be upfront about my posting. I have tons of time on Sunday and can post 3-4 times a week the rest of the time. Should be no problem keeping up.

Anyone know a fourth? But I think the three we have now will work with proper challenge selection.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Also, once the sheets are done, please send me a pdf at dwm at sunny dot ocn dot ne dot jp

Then I can see the full write ups for some items and powers.

I could be a fourth. Never done pbp but would love to give it a try. I can post regularly throughout the week.

If you'll have me I can get to work on a character. I'm thinking human fighter.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases