M.A.R. Barker, author of Tekumel, also author of Neo-Nazi book?

And yet, in the book it was equated with the military by the people who lived under that system, as when Rico's father stated that it didn't make sense for him to join the service since there wasn't a war on.

So the non-military aspect of the service seems to be lip service, really.

I won't get into the rest because that would require me getting into real-world politics.
I disagree.

His father (who later joined up when there was an actual war going on and his wife had been killed so was at least being consistent) was arguing that voting was not worth it and he was wasting his time joining the military as it interrupted his father’s plans for him to go to college and then join the family business.

That federal service did not have to be military service was not lip service in the book at all. Until their colonists provoked the bugs and causes the war, the military service was usually just a peacetime tour.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
That federal service did not have to be military service was not lip service in the book at all. Until their colonists provoked the bugs and causes the war, the military service was usually just a peacetime tour.
A peacetime tour that was, nevertheless, harsh in its training (even sadistic) and where a majority of enlistees seemed to wash out and in a militarized society developed to control juvenile delinquency by turning lazy, immoral civilians into <insert fanfare> veterans. All to gain the franchise, the preeminent right in a democracy - the right to select your representation.
So, yeah, there's a lot of fair criticism aimed right at it - and that includes the militarism that would have thrilled any number of historical fascist movements.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But, what are the odds that they are supporting the cultural attitudes that made Cosby's actions viable?
Damn if I know!

There’s a danger in “just jokes/not just jokes” discussions. A lot of times, you have no clue as to which UNLESS you know something about the jokester in question.

A peacetime tour that was, nevertheless, harsh in its training (even sadistic) and where a majority of enlistees seemed to wash out and in a militarized society developed to control juvenile delinquency by turning lazy, immoral civilians into <insert fanfare> veterans. All to gain the franchise, the preeminent right in a democracy - the right to select your representation.
So, yeah, there's a lot of fair criticism aimed right at it - and that includes the militarism that would have thrilled any number of historical fascist movements.
The book addresses that as well. The training is made tough because it is meant to dissuade people trying for an easy ride to voting. Plus, they are actually in the military. Johnny also picked the MI which is one of the physically toughest choices. He was a star athlete, he felt up to the challenge.

The fact that a fascist state would like the military service is narrow in insinuating that a democracy would not like it or communists would not. Real world evidence says that real military is wanted by many types of governments.

In some cases, yes. But like, if comedy in general is loaded with misogyny... well, maybe that's not just jokes, and is instead a bit of a pervasive issue.
Jimmy Carr addresses this fairly on in his Netflix special, but I am not going to repeat it here as it is a sensitive topic.
Shock value is part of much comedy. Bill Burr does a whole skit about the "no reason to hit a woman" bit.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
It's been a while since I've read Starship Troopers, or anything by Heinlein. But presenting a problematic society in a science-fiction novel isn't the same as promoting the ideals of such a society in the real world.

From what I remember of Troopers, the human society in the book wasn't presented as a utopia or ideal society, just a possible future. It had fascist elements, but wasn't a full on fascist society. Verhoeven didn't pull his movie's satire from thin air, of course. The war with the bugs highlighted some of the problems of this future society.

I remember Starship Troopers as being classic sci-fi, an exploration of ideas and possible futures, both positive and negative. But like I said, it's been decades since I've read it.

EDIT: It probably wouldn't work out well IRL, but I've always liked the idea of full citizenship being reserved for those willing to serve the community.

MGibster

Legend
Johnny also picked the MI which is one of the physically toughest choices. He was a star athlete, he felt up to the challenge.
In the book, Johnny did his best to avoid Mobile Infantry. He tried working with canines and they said, “You wouldn’t even sneak your dog into your room as a child to let it sleep in your bed.”

Remove ads