M.A.R. Barker, author of Tekumel, also author of Neo-Nazi book?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
It is disappointing that the author of that blog @darjr posted, Dave Morris, sat on his knowledge of "Serpent's Wake" for a decade. I don't know who Dave Morris is . . . a fan? A writer? Someone in the tabletop gaming industry?

But I do know that if someone I knew personally revealed to me that they wrote a neo-Nazi fantasy novel they were having trouble shopping around . . . . I'm not sure what I'd do with that information. I would certainly express my disgust to them. But would I "out" them? And exactly how would I go about it? Especially if I wasn't convinced that the existence of this novel made this person a Nazi sympathizer.

This does speak to a larger problem in certain spaces . . . a neutral acceptance of Nazism and other horrors of history. I get the impression that the blog author, Morris, isn't sympathetic to Nazi views himself, but does view that exploring these issues is a legitimate literary exercise. And that he extends this to Barker's motivations. It reminds me of some of the things Gygax is quoted saying, showing that Gygax admired certain historical figures that were responsible for some pretty awful stuff, not that Gygax approved of the awfulness itself, but could admire the effectiveness from a "neutral", historical point of view. It seems that more than a few folks who came out of the "old school" wargaming scene that predated D&D share this amoral viewpoint on history and historical figures. A weird perspective I can't get behind, personally, and one of the reasons why I'm not a huge Gygax fan.
To be honest, I am the kind of person who punches nazis, such as at thunder bay, a berkeley ca dance club on industrial dance night, someone who I vaguely knew, confessed to me they were a nazi and I laid them out, caused a mini riot between mine and another crew. Granted this was the early 90's, and about Barker or Gygax, I have nothing good to say, except they were a product of their times, but death has evened the score, so I don't care anymore. It's the other people, people around now that knew.

I am a game designer too, and sure, I guess my left politics are on display in my setting, and whether or not someone thinks it is "woke space" or not, I don't care; mostly I have got good reviews. I am not a white night, by any means; and from what I have seen in Tekumel, and Greyhawk, I think Gygax wasn't quite as off the hook as Barker; except neither setting do I consider myself an expert on.

With war games, there has always been that certain set, now they get called "wehraboos" though Marc Miller of Traveller fame wrote an article about the boy who loved panzers, and personally I sort of understand it, as there was a lot of propaganda around the military, and some don't parse it well.

All things said and done, covering up for, or being apologist for a nazi, is pretty bad.

Dire Bare

Legend
I don't know that I'd call it cynical. It's compartmentalized. Most WWII-era war games are concerned with the battlefield and, sometimes, logistics (at least with respect to supporting things on the battlefield). Some, like Advanced Third Reich, also delve into high level views of wartime diplomacy. But they usually don't deal with other aspects of the war - massacres of civilians in Eastern Europe, intentional mass starvation of Soviet POWs, and the Holocaust. Non-WWII games also tend to skip over the epidemics, famines, and other mass depopulations that wars typically inflict.
Most of those wouldn't be good topics for games (though there is a scenario for Advanced Squad Leader that involves an uprising in a Warsaw ghetto) and so get glossed over in the tabletop wargames. That may give the impression of cynicism, but I really don't think that's the right description.
Compartmentalization. Yup, that's what I was searching for. The tendency for some old school wargamers to compartmentalize history. I think that might partly explain Barker's Nazi novel . . . but still, I think it goes beyond that.

Staffan

Legend
Wait? Midkemia was loosely based on Tekumel?
With some degrees of separation. Midkemia itself was based on some kind of extremely house-ruled D&D, which among other things involved planar travel to an Asian-inspired setting called Kelewan. Kelewan had its roots in Tekumel, but I don't know to what degree. I know Feist has talked about how much of the flavor of the book version of Kelewan comes from his collaboration with Janny Wurts on the Daughter of the Empire series.

pemerton

Legend
This does speak to a larger problem in certain spaces . . . a neutral acceptance of Nazism and other horrors of history. I get the impression that the blog author, Morris, isn't sympathetic to Nazi views himself, but does view that exploring these issues is a legitimate literary exercise. And that he extends this to Barker's motivations. It reminds me of some of the things Gygax is quoted saying, showing that Gygax admired certain historical figures that were responsible for some pretty awful stuff, not that Gygax approved of the awfulness itself, but could admire the effectiveness from a "neutral", historical point of view. It seems that more than a few folks who came out of the "old school" wargaming scene that predated D&D share this amoral viewpoint on history and historical figures. A weird perspective I can't get behind, personally, and one of the reasons why I'm not a huge Gygax fan.
The separation of political/moral from aesthetic value is at the core of fantasy as a genre.

JRRT's world is arch-reactionary, racist, and celebrates authoritarian government. The legend of King Arthur is much the same. REH's Conan is a celebration of a murderer and freebooter. In Star Wars we cheer when thousands of enemy crew die in massive explosions with no quarter seeming to be offered.

These are all fundamental elements of the fantasy genre: "LG" paladins who serve righteous kings; "heroes" whose principle mode of resolving conflicts is to deploy interpersonal violence; peoples divided along reified ethnics and racial lines (elves, dwarves, orcs, etc).

And even RPGs and settings that, in principle, might be able to express different outlooks - eg Traveller - tend not to. The default setting for Traveller is an Imperium; and the default conflict resolution framework in Traveller is one-on-one or small unit combat.

Remove ads