• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M&M Questions

craftyrat

First Post
I have a couple of more questions about M&M (2nd ed):

Is this a valid power at PL6? :

Telepathy 12 (Subtle) [29]
Alternate Powers: Mental Blast 6; Emotion Control 6 (Mind Blank, Area Burst, Selective); Illusion 6 (all senses, Phantasms, Selective, Progression 5); Mind Control 6 (Mental Link, Conscious, Subtle 2)

And, how do you build a power to let you shapechange into a normal bat at PL6? Since a bat has Shrinking 12, do you Shapechange 12 as well? This would seem to be very expensive. How much of a flaw should Limited (normal bats only) be?

Thanks for any help with these.

craftyrat

Yellow Sign

Explorer
The Power Level limit only affects powers that require saves. So a character could have Shrinking 12 but any attacks or other effects that would require a Save are limited to the campaigns PL 6 limit.

Krolik

First Post
To change into a bat I would probably use Alternate Form:

Alternate Form 4 (Bat; Shrink 12, Super-Senses 4, Flight 2 (Power Loss: Wings: -1), Morph 1) 20pp

coyote6

Adventurer
The Mind Reading part of Telepathy requires a Will save, and is thus subject to PL limits; so it can't be above rank 6.

You can make the base power Mental Blast 6, and have one of the APs be Communication 12 (mental) & Mind Reading 6.

Also, is the Selective on the area Emotion Control supposed to allow him to pick who is affected by the Emotion Control? If so, it should be the Selective Attack extra (rather than the Selective power feat); with the two extras (Area & Selective Attack) and the Mind Blank power feat, that power costs 25 pts -- 1 more than is available in the array.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Krolik said:
Alternate Form 4 (Bat; Shrink 12, Super-Senses 4, Flight 2 (Power Loss: Wings: -1), Morph 1) 20pp

Ranks of Alternate Form powers cannot be higher than Alternate Form's ranks, with the only stated exception I'm aware of being Immunity.

Krolik

First Post
Mark Chance said:
Ranks of Alternate Form powers cannot be higher than Alternate Form's ranks, with the only stated exception I'm aware of being Immunity.
I believe that will be a change in Ultimate Power with total cost of the powers within the form being the deciding factor rather then durations or ranks. I could be wrong though. :)

D.Shaffer

First Post
If you can only turn into a normal bat, I'd use Morph with the Metamorph feat

Morph 1 (Turn into Bat (2); Feat Metamorph) 2 pts.

And then use the stock bat in the bat as a base with bumped up mental stats until it matches your own. Sample template below. Just add up to 90 more points for special abilities if you want them. Possible suggestions include more feats, increased Con for toughness, bumping up Defense more, summon minion (bats), and sonic control.

Bat Form 'Template', PL10 60 pp
Stats:

Str: 1 (10 before shrink) Dex: 16 Con: 10 Int: 10 Wis: 14 Cha: 10 (10 pts)
Toughness: +0 Fort: +2 Ref: +6 Will: +2 (5 pts)
Combat: Attack: +4 (Includes Size); Damage: +0 Unarmed; Defense: +14/FF +7 (Includes Size); Initiative: +2; Movement 15 ft or Flight 1; Reach - ft. (28 pts)
+4 Defense/-4 Toughness tradeoff

Skills: Knowledge-Pop Culture 2 (+2), Notice 9 (+11), Stealth 5 (+7) - (4 pts)

Feats: Evasion (1 pt)

Powers:
Comprehend 2 (Animals; Flaw: Limit-Narrow Type Bats) 1 pt
Flight 1 2 pts
Shrink 12 (Tiny size; Feat: Innate; Flaw: Permanent) 13 pts
Supersenses 6 (Auditory Blindsight, Scent, Ultrahearing) 6 pts

Drawbacks: Mute (Very Common, Moderate, 4 pts), No Hands (Very Common, Moderate, 4 Pts), Power Loss (Flight, if wings are immobilised, 2 points)

Costs: Abilities 10 + Saves 5 + Combat 28 + Skills 4 + Feats 1 + Powers 22 – Drawbacks 10 =60

Last edited:

Krolik

First Post
You are correct. I completely forgot about the Metamorph Power Feat. That makes the ability much cheaper; more in-line with the value it grants. Good idea!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads