M&M2: Why M&M rather than True20 for Sci-Fi?

Azgulor

Adventurer
I've seen several times over the past few years where people have chosen to use Mutants & Masterminds over True20 for sci-fi gaming. I'm curious as to why (esp. when M&M is tailored towards the superhero genre)?

Also, for someone wanting a game closer to Pathfinder/OGL, would M&M 2E be the better choice or is M&M 3E that much better?

Thanks!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
For me it comes down to support and a larger playerbase. Since I only play via pbp, I've discovered that it's easier to recruit or be recruited into a M&M game then a true20 game. I've also found that True20s suppliments seem more patch-worked then M&M.

M&M 2e is closer to Pathfinder/OGL then 3e is however that is because 3e streamlines alot of rules and has several changes to the relationship between a character's base attack, their defenses, and character attributes. 3e also uses True20 styled character attributes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think it's because M&M- like other "toolbox" systems such as HERO and GURPS- has the flexibility to let you model nearly anything you can imagine.

DanMcS

Explorer
Because I like Mutants and Masterminds better than True20.

Because the sci-fi game I was running (40k/starship troopers powered-armor psychic troops) was quite a bit like supers anyway.

Because I understand the point-buy system and can build everything that I like, from bug-aliens to starships.

Because I think I like point-buy better for modern and sci-fi gaming anyway. And if I wanted to run a game more like D&D, I'd use d20 modern, which I like better than True20 anyway.

Walking Dad

First Post
M&M is a nice toolbox and doesn't use class levels. I mostly play PbP games, so I like games where I start with the character I want with the power/competence I want instead aiming for what I want and will reach it in a year at best.

Doing the same with a class based system is more difficult. I also think the powers in M&M mechanically superior to model psionics, strange ech etc than the specific rules in True20.

True20 is still good and nearer to classic d20 experience, but I like M&M more. 2e is nearer to Pathfinder than 3rd, but most alike is 1st edition. But if you have read all of them, you can see the rules evolving to something better (IMHO).

Aus_Snow

First Post
I've seen several times over the past few years where people have chosen to use Mutants & Masterminds over True20 for sci-fi gaming. I'm curious as to why (esp. when M&M is tailored towards the superhero genre)?
It can be used for any genre you like. Much as, like Dannyalcatrez said, is the case with HERO. That, at least, started as a supers game, and that's apparently still where its heart is, so to speak. Nonetheless, you can certainly use it for whatever you like.

Also, for someone wanting a game closer to Pathfinder/OGL, would M&M 2E be the better choice or is M&M 3E that much better?
2e.

However, I'd say 3rd edition is simply better. Seriously, give it a look.

Azgulor

Adventurer
First off, I sincerely thank everyone for weighing in with their suggestions & experiences.

Secondly, you had me spending hours pouring over systems in search of the desired game. While it bordered on time-wasted, it ultimately led me to do more homework on M&M. Then the conundrum of 2e vs. 3e arose.

Finally, I think it all paid off. Initially, I was leaning towards 2e b/c it had more support and stronger linkage to the base d20 system. After researching M&M 3e, however, I discovered that it truly was still a d20 game under the hood. Seeing sample builds of non-superheroes on the ATT forums further cemented the toolkit nature & that not only could it be used for non-supers, it could do it well. I also discovered that the PDF for 3e was available. After making the purchase, I'm impressed by what I've seen thus far.

More importantly, a lot of the streamlining dovetails well with True20 revised, so I don't have to houserule all of the sci-fi elements I'd like & can utilize more of Reign of Discordia with less adaptation than I anticipated (starship combat, in particular).

It'll take awhile to go through the book but I love the fact that it has the toolkit flexibility of a GURPS but is still grounded in the d20 framework that I prefer.

Thanks again to all!

Remove ads