• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

\m/ The Metal \m/

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Saw them live once and they put on a great show - just about the time Recreation Day came out and it's still is my favourite album of theirs. A few of their albums are available as downloads from Amazon if you are that way inclined?

Amazon.com: evergrey: MP3 Downloads

Alas, I'm not a downloader. I like the physical presence of a CD, the ability to read the liner notes and enjoy the art and so forth. I'll keep my eyes out, though.

Heck, if I get around to it, I can always order it from Waterloo Records (in Austin)...I just have to remember to keep my order under $400.
;):cool:

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
I can't believe I forgot this one - I've been listening to Devin Townsend a lot lately. I haven't listened to a lot of his stuff, but the one album I've picked up has been fantastic.

Terria, Accelerated Evolution, and the two new ones, Ki (which is a bit of a departure from previous stuff) and Addicted are also great.

If you like the heavier side of Devy, I recommend checking out Strapping Young Lad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxcvzYMY0vU]YouTube - Strapping Young Lad - Oh My :):):):)ing God[/ame]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For the longest time, I didn't know what happened to Devin Townshend after his brief stint with Vai. He's doing some interesting stuff.

I must say, though, that the SYL clip odhen posted reminded me of a faster version of "Rivet" from Praxis (a band I mentioned upthread, consisting of artists like Buckethead, Bill Laswell, Brain, Bernie Worrell and Bootsy Collins. Yes, that Bernie Worrell and Bootsy Collins.), albeit with a much more "Grandma Friendly" song title.;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2NWy791nKM]YouTube - Praxis - Rivet[/ame]

grufflehead

First Post
Fellow metalheads

A minute's silence is called for with the passing of a true legend of metal.

DIO

There had been rumours (incorrect) that he RJD had passed away yesterday; sadly it seems the stay was only temporary. Only once before have I felt real sadness at the passing of someone I didn't know - author David Gemmell. But I feel an emptiness tonight as the man that got me into metal all those years ago has gone to a better place.

Thank you Mr Dio and R.I.P.

Here's something to remember him by - a classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSt1oEIshE

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
King Diamond, on the other hand, is classic cheesy (in a good way) metal. He's the singer from Mercyful Fate, so if you like them you'll probably also like King Diamond.

Yes. I started listening to Mercyful Fate after hearing the Metallica cover on Garage Days. The King's vocals initially turned me off, but I'm a fan now. The riffs are just too badass (Evil, Curse of the Pharaoh, etc) to let his unique style prevent you from listening.

Also, Slough Feg's Traveller is indeed awesome.

People have mentioned a variety of good "D&D Metal" in this thread and others. Much of the classic heavy and thrash works and much of the modern sludge, doom and prog works as well. There's so much good stuff that you'll probably be able to find SOMETHING atmospheric in every subgenre.

Remove ads