\m/ The Metal \m/

Marx420

First Post
Alrighty, when I'm playing D&D with my musician group the only allowable sound is the sonic warfare known as metal (in other groups with female members and their more refined tastes I usually put on the internet radio station Radio Rivendell which is freakin' sweet for fantasy jams). I was wondering if there were any other metalheads on these boards and if they partook of the guilty pleasure while gaming? I'll list out some bands that I like with a short description and have a more fantasy bent though you could suggest whatever.

Kyuss- One of the first progenitors the stoner rock scene hailing from Palm Desert California. Their downtuned beats played through bass amps for extra power wash over you in waves and are perfect for epic journeys. They also got their name from the Greyhawk deity for extra credibility.

Iron Maiden- Longstanding paragons of the new wave of british heavy metal, Number of the Beast and Powerslave prove excellent backgrounds for mythological/mysterious happenings.

High on Fire- New band from Matt Pike of the stoner metal pioneers Sleep, though the vocals may grate on some (sounds like he gargled sand) the slower and sludgier beats are appealing on their own merits and the lyricism is competent.

Bison B.C.- Canadian band with a brutal live act, they incorporate the energy of several genres while waxing poetic about fantastical things.

Mastodon- Relatively well known american act with a progressive bent while still maintaining the sludgy goodness with unparalleled musicianship.

Baroness- Another georgia band who lend their support to Mastodon on some awesome tours, their latest Blue Album is very well received by critics for good reason and their sound is refined yet powerful.

Amon Amarth- Hardcore band who derives their fury from the myths and legends of the vikings (though they sing in english).

The Sword- A band from Austin that infuses their oldschool tunes with the very essence of fantasy.

Marx420

First Post
Ooh, I like me some Coheed & Cambria as well, was a favorite of my late afgani friend (though I like most any music with narrative lyrics). Pantera I haven't got much of, but what I do have is well loved. Dragonforce I find to be little overwhelming for RPGing but just right for solo listening (the sheer speed is very impressive), I may have to start building up my power metal collection as I find that many of the great bands in the sub-sub genre hold a similar reverence for fantasy.

Marx420

First Post
Starman,
Now thats a thread! Sorry to anyone if this topic has been done to death already I seem to have forgotten the power of search...

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Non-exhaustive list of some of my favorites:

Proto-metal:

Black Sabbath (Ozzy era)
Motorhead
Deep Purple

Power Metal (fantasy themes, clean vocals, epic feel):

Iron Maiden
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
Sonata Arctica
Dragon Force
Dio
Black Sabbath (Dio era)

Death Metal (very hard, deep screaming vocals, dark feel):

Skeleton Witch
In Flames
At the Gates
Carcass
The Crown

Thrash/Speed (Metallica and the like):

Sepultura
Slayer
Megadeth
Testament
Overkill
Pantera

Metalcore, industrial and hard to classify stuff:

Killswitch Engage (easily my favorite metal band ever)
Atreyu (metal-esque?)
Mastadon (great guys, great stuff)
Fear Factory
Ministry
KMFDM

Last edited:

Marx420

First Post
Good suggestions there, Jester and Paladin.
I'm especially liking Blind Guardian and Hammerfall from both your lists, I'll have to stock some discs from both of them for my next session get a little more balance in my sub-genres.

Remove ads