• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

\m/ The Metal \m/

mearls

Hero
I'll second the recommendation for 3 Inches of Blood.

Slough Feg: These guys are fantastic, way underrated. Bonus points - they have a concept album based on the Traveller RPG, and the album art for Down Among the Deadmen is by Erol Otus.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I'll second the recommendation for 3 Inches of Blood.

Slough Feg: These guys are fantastic, way underrated. Bonus points - they have a concept album based on the Traveller RPG, and the album art for Down Among the Deadmen is by Erol Otus.

And their cover of Dearg Doom inspired the battlemind! (I read your design and development piece).

Flobby

Explorer
Arkona- you can't get more d&d than them. A Russian black metal/Slavic folk band. Truly Epic.

If you do search for this band make sure not to get mixed up with a Polish band of the same name - they are white supremacists.

Oh and check out Death FM (its on iTunes) all black and death metal.

Playing metal while playing D&D is pretty cliche.

If you play nothing but metal, you are missing a lot of the best music ever made. It's like only ever playing dwarven fighters without trying other races and classes. Or only ever playing dungeon crawls without ever trying wilderness exploration or political intrigue.

Start exploring classical and jazz as well as the pop, rock, roots, and blues that laid the foundation for metal. I'd start with the Rolling Stone 500 Albums list. The rankings are very much arguable, but I'd say the most important albums are on their. Pay particular attention to the top ranked albums from the 50s and early 60s and work your way to the 90s.

All that said, how can no one have mentioned Led Zeppelin yet? You are making Baby Jesus cry.

I also recommend Mastodon and Wolfmother.

Marx420

First Post
Holy thread explosion batman!
Where'd I leave off? Oh yah
Terra Dave- I'm an occasional listener to Metallica myself, not because they don't have mad skills but because I do not agree with their drm policy and megadeth/slayer scratches my thrash itch just a bit better than they do.

El Mahdi- I wouldn't forget Blackmore's Night even if I tried to, my old man has been into Deep Purple since way back, some hilarious stories he tells me of their live acts (like passing joints to police officers on an inadvisable rotation).

Theron- That is indeed a very nice discovery station, I'm just afraid that the audio snobs in my musician group would pick up on it's streamed nature. I've got just one guy who whines constantly about non cd/dvd quality, which is fine for most of my purposes since I can't distinguish below like 320kbs rips and I have bitchin' sennheiser cans and a nice sound card. Maybe I should experiment see how long til he picks up on it:devil:.

Pawsplay- I've tried to indoctrinate many ladies into our little occult game groups, but I find that the testosterone level is already at just about max before the metal and they tend to scare after I start blasting it and dance around doing my very best Demogorgon imitation with one head.

Mearls & Flobby- Digging your respective recommendations of Slough Feg and Arkona. Was trying to find some more Russian metal as 3 of the members of metal group are in fact Russian.

TikkchikFenTikktikk- Have no fear, my musical listenings are incredibly diverse (I have ADD) and I have stockpiled over a Terabyte of tunes including those on that very list, it's just that group that would disown me if the satanic levels fall below an acceptable quota.

Thanks for replies, I'll be back.

Remove ads