• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Manzanita

First Post
orsal said:
"So, are you expecting Causticus back here any time soon?"

"Ah. Well, gnolls need food. And ale. Kazikazi provides! The leaders like gin, in particular." He raises his hand and snaps. "I get shipments every couple days through a secret passage over there." He points to the NE corner of the room. "Causticus comes rarely. Usely its just goblins. I do think Causticus is at the end of that tunnel, though, wherever it goes."

orsal

LEW Judge
BTW, I haven't made Sense Motive rolls because I believe you want to do those secretly, Manzanita. If I'm wrong, please correct me; if I'm right, I'm assuming you'd tell me if Nurlan had any reading on Frump.

Nurlan pauses to consider this revelation. "Hmmm... Let me confer with my companions." He walks back about 30', gesturing to Rinaldo in particular to come with him. He'll wait for others to join, although if everyone appears to follow, he'll tell Ogrin and Razh to stay back and keep an eye on the prisoner. Not too picky about who stays back -- if someone else wants to stay back and the tanks want to join the conference, that's fine; it's just if nobody chooses to watch Frump, it's the tanks who Nurlan will nominate.

Once it's clear who is joining the huddlee, Nurlan whispers to them,
[sblock]So, what do we do with this guy? I think we should follow the passage he indicated, but can we trust him?[/sblock]

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn continues to concentrate on his spell. He'll maintain watch while the others deliberate. He'd like to help, but maintaining the spell might be of more use at this point.

(ooc: unless he could maintain it and retreat to add to the discussion?)

rln

Explorer
Ogrin goes to retrieve his blades before Nurlan and tha others huddle round, then he'll stand guard together with Razh. "So tell me, how do you open this secret door? No, don't show me; just tell me. Oh, and are there any more of those sinister traps beyond it?"

OOC: 4-5 years ago, I had a halfling rogue in a P&P game that was killed by a phantasmal killer cast by gnome illusionist. Somehow I just got wired into thinking this illusionist also was a gnome. Oops?

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo have been listening to the discussion. After teh heat of teh battle, he has felt things he had never thought. The memories of that guard in the watch tower, killed by him without any chance of defending himself. That memory will haunt him during a long time, but now he has seen one of his friend killed. Ashnar had just fallen lifelessly. He felt even more closer to his death now he has seen one member of hs group killed. His thought had wander to his family and had lost a bit the focus on the conversation. When Nurlan ask him to come, he snap out of his thought.

"No, we can't. He is an illusionist. They are tricksters. On that, I know what I am talking about. My cousin has married one. She is a fine girl when your on her side, but I could be foul by her silver tongue and magic trick, and she has not half the magical skill of that man. You want to be able to trust him, strip him of any weapon and magical item he could carry, take his spellbook and let him open the march. His life will be at stack, and that's the only way he could be trust. He doesn't seem like a fanatic, and he will prefer to save his life rather than his master."

Rinaldo take a look at the man, and leave the group and stop in front of the illusionist. "You are a bright man. Wizards are all people with brain. So, I am quite sure you see the picture of the situation, and how precarious is your situation. On one side, you have a master that doesn't consider you, force you to do his dirty job and would get ride of you at the first moment you become a danger. On the other side, you have us, the enemy of your master. You're an illusionist, a trickster that can hardly be trust. You also killed one of our friends. So explain me, why shouldn't I cut the small thread on which your life hang presently?"

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
I'm uncertain on the best way to handle sense motive checks. Neither Rinaldo nor Nurlan gets a sense that he's lying, though.

"Kill me?" asks Frump. "Why would you kill me. Listen, I'm valuable. Let me help you. What do you want? I don't know who you are, or why you're here, or how you know this Claudius Causticus. But surely I can help you somehow. You say you're the enemy of Causticus. You're good men, aren't you? I'm an employee. I am sorry about your mate. I was just doing my job. I'll help you, or let me go and I'll promise never to cross you again. I haven't got any money, I'm afraid." He pause here and stares out into the distance. "You know, I think that Wilfong character in Three Rings was cheating. I just can't figure out how..."

"As for the secret door, I've got a key. I'll pull it out, don't get nervous. Here." He produces a large iron key and hands it to Ogrin. "They you've got to look carefully to see just where to insert it. Then the door opens silently. I'll show you if you want. I've got some gin back there, and ale. And some cheese. There's also some meat, but its for the gnolls; wouldn't touch it personally."

Do you think Frump should be allowed another will save each round against the detect thoughts? Or does his one failure allow Tenebrynn to continue reading his mind for the duration of the spell, another 3 minutes or so? At this point, he's thinking of how to escape with his life, and how Wilfong beat him at poker...

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo listen to Frump pleading "Kill you? Why should I put your blood on my hands. If I give you to the authorities, you'll end in prison, or more likely in the hand of an assassin, as the viscount won't want you to speak. Or you could just walk in front and let the traps you forgot to told us do the dirty job, that would be a good way to see if we can trust you.

And you are rich. You could buy yourself a town with only one of your so precious spellbook. I know how valuable it is, as I am the one who sell the component to the wizards to write down there spell. A book fill with all spells, given to the temple of Gliran in Orussus will be enough to bring him back from the deads. And don't tell me they aren't near, you had to study every day to be able to conceal your true nature to the gnolls."

[SBLOCK=OOC]I think it is a single save for all or nothing, or you can be sure in the end, you'll be able to read his thought. Anyway, this sentence let presume like I said:

SRD said:
A target’s Will save prevents you from reading its thoughts, and you must cast detect thoughts again to have another chance.
[/SBLOCK]

orsal

LEW Judge
That isn't how to get someone's cooperation, Nurlan thinks. While he thinks Frump is probably not going to double-cross them, he decides to try to improve the odds a little. He waves his hands toward the illusionist as he intones a mystical trill. (Casting charm person on Frump.)

Remove ads