MAD - the attacking problem

How MAD should we be?

• Yes, excellent idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .
Game the other night and I realized as I was prepping it that my common house-rule from CP2020 was tugging at my brain, as I saw the same concern in the game mechanics.

In short, Agility is the combat king. It gets used for defense, melee weapons, ranged weapons, and movement. CP2020 had this set-up as well, and players would stack up on Agility no matter what their arch-type.

In that system, the Cool stat was used very little.. altho it was the base of the Street Samurai's special ability. The perfect fix was to tie ranged weapon attacks to cool, cutting some of Agilities power down and spreading the 'best fighter' across multiple stats.

So. What do you think of moving ranged weapon attacks to INT for this system {as it lacks the COOL stat}?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's a conversation we've been having here a lot, and yes, I agree with you - in the next update AGI will be de-emphasised in some areas. :)

LucasC

First Post
So. What do you think of moving ranged weapon attacks to INT for this system {as it lacks the COOL stat}?

I agree that AGI is over-represtend but I'm not personally a huge fan of moving ranged attacks to INT. I know that Morrus is looking at ways to de-emphasize AGI and pump other stats.

I think there's room to make more melee STR based. I go through the weapon list and almost everything is AGI with only the exceptions being STR. That could help a little.

The change to movement also helped, that could maybe even be intensified by allowing you to use either your STR or AGI to increase movement (whichever is higher).

Lastly, while DEFENSE remains all AGI the game seems to be shifting towards a point where DEFENSE is going to be so low you get hit no matter what if you don't take steps to gain additional cover.

Another possibility is to look at careers and add a bit of a 'tax' to those careers that offer AGI, lowering the other abilities they grant.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, little things like a mild DEFENSE increase, a couple of combat tricks to increase it, melee always being a choice I STR or AGI, SPEED also, and scientific/lore (depending on which game) tricks. They're the current plans.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I don't know how complex you want to make things. With that said, you could argue for using END or STR in place of AGI for Speed, or Both but making END and/or STR slightly more important. When it comes down to it, not all runners are graceful. They're physically fit (and leg strong) and have tons of endurance.

As for weapons, some weapons should be STR, some AGI, some could be stretched to INT. Anything that relies on brute force such as maces, hammers, etc. could be STR based. Weapons that require finesse such as a rapier should be AGI. Some weapons that actually require thought, planning, etc. could be INT. Bows are an example of a weapon that could be INT based since you have to be able to calculate angles, wind speed, etc. I never really understood how being Agile made you a better archer. You need strength to pull a bow, endurance for holding while aiming and intellect for actually aiming.

JMHO.

Sniperfox47

First Post
I don't know how complex you want to make things. With that said, you could argue for using END or STR in place of AGI for Speed, or Both but making END and/or STR slightly more important. When it comes down to it, not all runners are graceful. They're physically fit (and leg strong) and have tons of endurance.

I agree with this sentiment. Agility and physical strength are great for short distance sprints but long distance runners rely more on their endurance than anything else. As much as I don't want to suggest complicating things further to me it would make sense that:
For a foot race/chase in a natural environment resolve it with strength if it takes less than a certain amount of time and endurance after that.
For a foot race/chase in a constrained environment such as city alleyways and rocky mountains use agility if it takes less than a certain amount of time and the average of agility and endurance after that point.
But that's just my take on what you need to win a race.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

As for weapons, some weapons should be STR, some AGI, some could be stretched to INT. Anything that relies on brute force such as maces, hammers, etc. could be STR based. Weapons that require finesse such as a rapier should be AGI. Some weapons that actually require thought, planning, etc. could be INT. Bows are an example of a weapon that could be INT based since you have to be able to calculate angles, wind speed, etc. I never really understood how being Agile made you a better archer. You need strength to pull a bow, endurance for holding while aiming and intellect for actually aiming.

JMHO.

Way ahead of you there! All that's been in the next playtest update for a while. I'll be releasing it before the KS ends!

Remove ads