• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage Hand, Unseen Servant, and Concentration

timmy

Explorer
Hi folks,

I've got a few questions for the more experienced players here concerning Mage Hand, Unseen Servant, and Concentration to maintain spells. I've been lurking here for quite some time and have found this to be a great site, full of nice people and tons of information.

Mage Hand allows you to move 1 unattended object of less than 5lbs up to 15ft. I'd like to use this in combat by taking items from a foe, such as arrows or bolts from a quiver, or a dagger/sword from a sheath. I guess I'm just not sure what "unattended" means. If it means an item not on someones person then I can't do this. However, if it means an item not being held by someone then I should be able to do this.

With the Unseen Servant spell I'd like to do the same thing. I know that the Unseen Servant can't attack in any way whatsoever. But is trying to grab an item from a foe considered an attack? I think it might be since the disarm rules have a section for grabbing an item from someone that they aren't actually using, and this might be the same thing.

Lastly, what kinds of things can my Wizard do while concentrating on a spell? Can he move normally? talk? hide or move silently? Concentration is listed as a standard action, therefore I should get a move action during that round as well. So I think I should be able to do anything in that move action that I would normally be able to do as a move action. But again, I'm just not sure.

Thanks for any help.

Infiniti2000

First Post
timmy said:
Mage Hand allows you to move 1 unattended object of less than 5lbs up to 15ft. I'd like to use this in combat by taking items from a foe, such as arrows or bolts from a quiver, or a dagger/sword from a sheath. I guess I'm just not sure what "unattended" means. If it means an item not on someones person then I can't do this. However, if it means an item not being held by someone then I should be able to do this.
An attended item is in someone's possession. An unattended item is not in someone's possession. An attended item need not be held in hand (wielded or whatever). A dagger in a sheathe or a crossbow bolt in a quiver on someone's back are both attended.

timmy said:
With the Unseen Servant spell I'd like to do the same thing. I know that the Unseen Servant can't attack in any way whatsoever. But is trying to grab an item from a foe considered an attack? I think it might be since the disarm rules have a section for grabbing an item from someone that they aren't actually using, and this might be the same thing.
Yes, it's an attack. Disarming or grappling are the only methods for grabbing such (attended) items from a creature. If the opponent was dead, then okay.

timmy said:
Lastly, what kinds of things can my Wizard do while concentrating on a spell? Can he move normally? talk? hide or move silently? Concentration is listed as a standard action, therefore I should get a move action during that round as well. So I think I should be able to do anything in that move action that I would normally be able to do as a move action. But again, I'm just not sure.
I agree with you for the most part, as long as the something does not break concentration.

WarlockLord

First Post
My question about mage hand: Could I use it to, say, chuck daggers, arrows, and crossbow bolts at somebody and deal damage? If I used the shadow magic fundamental umbral hand (carrying capacity 5 lbs/level) could I attack with weapons? That sort of thing?

shilsen

Adventurer
WarlockLord said:
My question about mage hand: Could I use it to, say, chuck daggers, arrows, and crossbow bolts at somebody and deal damage?

I'd say "No." There's no indication in the spell description of the hand being able to hurl anthing. To move something, it must carry it.

If I used the shadow magic fundamental umbral hand (carrying capacity 5 lbs/level) could I attack with weapons? That sort of thing?

I don't know what that is.

Ambrus

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
Disarming or grappling are the only methods for grabbing such (attended) items from a creature.
Not so. A Sleight of Hand check (DC 20) can be used to take something from another creature, and isn't considered an attack. There's nothing in the skill description that says it can't be attempted in combat.
SRD said:
If you try to take something from another creature, you must make a DC 20 Sleight of Hand check to obtain it. The opponent makes a Spot check to detect the attempt, opposed by the same Sleight of Hand check result you achieved when you tried to grab the item. An opponent who succeeds on this check notices the attempt, regardless of whether you got the item.
The sleight of hand skill isn't normally usable with either the mage hand spell (as stated, it can't move attended objects) or an unseen servant (it has no ranks in sleight of hand to make the attempt) but if you're really serious about wanting to explore this particular tactic then I'd suggest looking into gaining level of the Arcane Trickster prestige class from the Dungeon Master's Guide (page 178). It has a 'ranged legerdemain' ability which allows a character to attempt sleight of hand skill checks from up to 30 ft away from a target.

Last edited:

Remove ads