WOIN Magic and combat tactics/modifiers

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
Hi there; how do spells and battle tactics like melee/ranged modifiers and positioning interact?
I'm thinking about tying it to the different defenses, but is this intended?
Pls dont answer again it's up to the dm - that's a big difference!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Spell difficulty = higher one of used MP or enemy defense;
So there's no difference which one applies, if it would be vs. Melee defence, it' s a melee attack?
No difference. You're really making both checks, but if one's higher than the other, passing the higher obviously means you passed the lower.

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
Sorry, it's me again - digging holes in my own threaddump ;)

Are ranges from spells also range increments - or do I have to buy the maximum range I want to use?

May I trade dice for damage when I cast evocation spells?
If yes, may I do that for damaging creation spells, too?
I dont think I may trade for damage while casting non-damaging spells.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If it’s an attack roll, it’s an attack roll. Doesn’t matter which attribute it uses. Follows the same rules.

Unless I missed something in my quick read through to refresh my memory, you don't do an attack roll for a damaging creation spell.

You can attack with one, I mean if you make a sword or something, but that's just a normal attack roll. Not an attack with a creation spell. And if you create something that causes damage when they touch it (fire, lava, whatever), it's not an attack roll there either. Again, unless I missed something in that read through.

The range of the spell is it's range. Not a range increment. If it doesn't say range increment, it's always, as far as I've seen, just a range.

Compel and Enchant spells don't cause damage. Not by themselves.

Remove ads