D&D 5E Magic and Non-Magic Healing Proposal

FireLance

Legend
Sorry, I call 'em like I see 'em. You get hit with a sword, you bleed, you lose hit points. Someone yells at you, you regain hit points. That's yelling wounds away. I'm not misrepresenting anything. Unless the dm says "the barbarian's sword goes into your rib cage, and suddenly you just want to be held."
So, you are unable to concieve of any other way to describe hit points, even though you personally prefer not to take that approach? Good to know.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Sorry, I call 'em like I see 'em. You get hit with a sword, you bleed, you lose hit points. Someone yells at you, you regain hit points. That's yelling wounds away. I'm not misrepresenting anything. Unless the dm says "the barbarian's sword goes into your rib cage, and suddenly you just want to be held."

So your average high level character can take 10-15 sword stabs through the rib cage?

What the hell is a high level fighter, Wolverine? "Oh you stabbed out my lungs, hold on a second, I'll regenerate them, then I'll shred you with my Adamantium claws!"

Pour

First Post
Guys, it's really not worth even arguing. Both healing types CAN exist in the same world, or can be excluded with the selection of classes fairly easily. Not only that, but the ways in which both sides of the fence, divine and non-magical healing, are represented in play is truly on a game-by-game basis. It can be as realitic as momentary field dressings, dramatic, uncanny, or silly as you like. There's nothing to argue here!

You're both allowed to play how you like. And if one or the other party can't conceive how it's more or less believable to the other, that's okay too. It won't affect your game. Stop dictating what is believable to the other person, and what stretches each others' disbelief.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Guys, it's really not worth even arguing. Both healing types CAN exist in the same world, or can be excluded with the selection of classes fairly easily. Not only that, but the ways in which both sides of the fence, divine and non-magical healing, are represented in play is truly on a game-by-game basis. It can be as realitic as momentary field dressings, dramatic, uncanny, or silly as you like. There's nothing to argue here!

You're both allowed to play how you like. And if one or the other party can't conceive how it's more or less believable to the other, that's okay too. It won't affect your game. Stop dictating what is believable to the other person, and what stretches each others' disbelief.

The thing is, I don't particularly care if there's magic healing in the game. I'm not arguing we should kick out the cleric.

Necklot IS arguing that the inclusive edition of D&D should EXCLUDE something he doesn't like because he doesn't like it.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
The thing is, I don't particularly care if there's magic healing in the game. I'm not arguing we should kick out the cleric.

Necklot IS arguing that the inclusive edition of D&D should EXCLUDE something he doesn't like because he doesn't like it.

I never said they should exclude it. Try actually reading my post. I said it shouldn't be the default. Include all the "Kiss the booboo and make it better" options, I just don't want it as the default.

FireLance

Legend
Actually, he isn't saying that he doesn't like it. He's saying that it cannot happen realistically because there is only one way to describe hit points.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
So your average high level character can take 10-15 sword stabs through the rib cage?

What the hell is a high level fighter, Wolverine? "Oh you stabbed out my lungs, hold on a second, I'll regenerate them, then I'll shred you with my Adamantium claws!"

Sigh. Not this again.

No. The high level fighter turns the sword through the ribs into a graze. The point is, the warlord still yells the scratch, however minor, away. until 4e, all hits were SOME damage. Now it's only emotional damage. I absolutely don't mind that as as an option. It's not my intention to tell anyone how to play their game. But if it gets in as the default, I'll have to put up with it in my game, and that I won't do. I do not think I'm a minority in this, else we wouldn't even be having this discussion, 4e would still be going strong.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Actually, he isn't saying that he doesn't like it. He's saying that it cannot happen realistically because there is only one way to describe hit points.

Again, try reading my post. I'm saying it's an outlier. Very few people see hit points as morale or fatigue points. Else, why are they called hit points? Every game calls them hit points or health, not morale points. Catering to a minority view of hit points is one reason 4e failed to net the numbers WOTC wanted. Put it in as an option, but not the default. Go ahead ask a new player what happens when an orc attacks his pc with a sword and does 3 points of damage. I guarantee you, he'll say his pc was hit by the sword and is now bleeding from an actual, physical wound.

FireLance

Legend
Again, try reading my post. I'm saying it's an outlier. Very few people see hit points as morale or fatigue points. Else, why are they called hit points? Every game calls them hit points or health, not morale points. Catering to a minority view of hit points is one reason 4e failed to net the numbers WOTC wanted. Put it in as an option, but not the default. Go ahead ask a new player what happens when an orc attacks his pc with a sword and does 3 points of damage. I guarantee you, he'll say his pc was hit by the sword and is now bleeding from an actual, physical wound.
So, if you acknowledge that there are alternate approaches to hit points (popular or not, commonly adopted by new players or not), why did you choose to describe non-magical healing as "yelling wounds closed"? It misrepresents the alternate approaches and seems to convey a lack of respect for them.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Sigh. Not this again.

No. The high level fighter turns the sword through the ribs into a graze. The point is, the warlord still yells the scratch, however minor, away. until 4e, all hits were SOME damage. Now it's only emotional damage. I absolutely don't mind that as as an option. It's not my intention to tell anyone how to play their game. But if it gets in as the default, I'll have to put up with it in my game, and that I won't do. I do not think I'm a minority in this, else we wouldn't even be having this discussion, 4e would still be going strong.

It's not emotional damage. The books have ALWAYS been clear that HP are not actual hits, but represent a combination of morale, luck, and stamina, with most blows that do damage not representing actual wounds.

Remove ads