D&D 5E Magic and Non-Magic Healing Proposal

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
For the historical record, the early RAW seems against damage being stabs through the rib-cage, but also to say that each hit does at least a small amount of physical damage:
It is quite unreasonable to assume that as a character gains levels of ability in his or her class that a corresponding gain in actual ability to sustain physical damage takes place. It is preposterous to state such an assumption, for if we are to assume that a man is killed by a sword thrust which does 4 points of damage, we must similarly assume that a hero could, on average withstand five such thrusts before being slain! Why then the increase in hit points? Because these reflect both the actual physical ability of the character to withstand damage -- as indicated by constitution bonuses -- and a commensurate increase in such areas as skill in combat and similar life-or-death situations, the "sixth sense" which warns the individual of some otherwise unforeseen events, sheer luck, and the fantastic provisions of magical protections and/or divine protection.

Harkening back to the example of Rasputin, it would be safe to assume that he could withstand physical damage sufficient to have killed any four normal men, i.e. more than 14 hit points. Therefore, let us assume that a character with an 18 constitution will be able to withstand no less than 15 hit points of actual physical damage before being slain, and that perhaps as many as 23 hit points could constitute the physical makeup of a character. The balance of accrued hit points are those which fall into the non-physical areas already detailed. Futhermore, these actual physical hit points would be spread across a large number of levels, starting from a base score of from an average of 3 to 4, going up to to 8 at 2nd level, 9 to 11 at 3rd, 12 to 14 at 4th, 15 to 17 at 5th, 18 to 20 at 6th, and 21 to 23 at 7th level. Note that the above assumes the character is a fighter with an average of 3 hit points per die going to physical ability to withstand punishment and only 1 point of constitution bonus being likewise assigned. Beyond the basic physical damage sustained, hits scored upon a character do not actually do such an amount of physical damage.

Consider a character who is a 10th level fighter with an 18 constitution. This character would have an average of 5 1/2 hit points per die, plus a constitution bonus of 4 hit points, per level, or 95 hit points! Each hit scored upon the character does only a small amount of actual physical harm -- the sword thrust that would have run a 1st level fighter through the heart merely grazes the character due to the fighter's exceptional skill, luck, and sixth sense ability which caused movement to avoid the attack at just the right moment. However, having sustained 40 or 50 hit points of damage, or lordly fighter will be covered with a number of nicks, scratches, cuts and bruises. It will require a long period of rest and recuperation to regain the physical and metaphysical peak of 95 hit points.

- Hit Points, page 82 in G.Gygax's DMG
Slightly modifying @Pour 's original post and @DarwinofMind 's followup: One solution would be to have two hit point pools - one of them being the physical total and the other being the symbolic skill/luck/combat spirit. You could then assign damage using some rule like: hit point damage is generally applied first to the symbolic pool, but every hit that does over your level in damage (and every critical) causes at least one point of physical damage. Time, magic, and morale healing would work on the symbolic damage, while only time and magic would work on the physical.

I have my doubts about whether its worth the complexity though. Keeping with D&D's simple combat mechanisms, and with the spirit of inter-editional inclusiveness the new edition is aiming for, its probably easiest to just have the usual hit points and allow for both types of healing with the morale type not working for the unconscious or dying. (Even if it does mean some actual physical wounds are being sealed by being talked at.)

As an aside, the section on healing in the 1e DMG didn't seem very illuminating (magic or time), but I had either completely forgotten or never seen this from a few paragraphs later:
If any creature reaches a state of -6 or greater negative points before being revived, this could indicate scarring or the loss of some member, if you so choose.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Slightly modifying @Pour 's original post and @DarwinofMind 's followup: One solution would be to have two hit point pools - one of them being the physical total and the other being the symbolic skill/luck/combat spirit. You could then assign damage using some rule like: hit point damage is generally applied first to the symbolic pool, but every hit that does over your level in damage (and every critical) causes at least one point of physical damage. Time, magic, and morale healing would work on the symbolic damage, while only time and magic would work on the physical.

I'm greatly infavor of this always have been since the first time I saw it.

Wizards already has the system and owns the rights to it, It's called the Wound Point Vitality System.

And I'm perfectly find with saying Warlords can't heal Wound Points, it makes my no magic world gritty like I want it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Wizards already has the system and owns the rights to it, It's called the Wound Point Vitality System.

And I'm perfectly find with saying Warlords can't heal Wound Points, it makes my no magic world gritty like I want it.

I hadn't seen those before, thanks! I'll have to play around with some variants of those to see how they work. (Not sure about the damage usually going all to the vitality points at first, or that all the critical damage goes to the wound ones...)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It would make more sense to emulate HERO, and have HP divided into a Stun (nonlethal damage & HP) and Body (lethal damsge & HP) category: nonmagical healing can affect Stun only; magical can affect both.

As PCs leveled, they could accumulate both, but Body would go up much more slowly than Stun. Using the example of the fighter, he might have 10Stun and 4Body at 1st level. By 20th, he might have 180Stun and 20Bod.

The math of it could be done any number of ways. For instance, as DarwinOfMind mentioned, it could be done as 3.5Ed handled it in its optional rules. Or your Stun would come from HD and your Body from Con Stat + Con Bonus/level. Whatever.

the Jester

Legend
Something that Mike Mearls mentioned on the Google+ Hangout kind of sparked an idea. He was talking about the Warlord in Next and where non-magical healing fits into the game given the abstractness of hit points. Then he said something I actually never knew was a design intent, that with the bloodied mechanic in 4e, all damage up until being bloodied (brought to half hit points) was largely superficial, stamina, morale, and energy, while everything afterward, into negative hit points and eventual death, were the actual, serious wounds.

Expanding that idea, and if you're willing to accept the abstractness of hit points, what if non-magical healing only worked on characters at the bloodied threshold or higher, and could only affect hp within the 50%-99% threshold.

Sorry, but- LAAAAAME.

Speaking as a warlord fan, this would absolutely not satisfy me, not even a little bit. Basically, a warlord who cannot help his buddies when they actually need the help might as well not be able to help them at all.

I do think there is a simple, easy, coherent, intuitive solution, though. Instead of healing, warlords could grant temporary hit points. This is similar to but distinct from actual healing, and with the addition of a few warlord-specific mechanics to allow an unconscious creature to come to, it is beautifully simple and pretty well-balanced.

Drawbacks:

-Doesn't actually heal you.
-(Without other mechanics) Can't help if you are unconscious.

Advantages:

-Can inspire temporary hit points to take you above your normal maximum.
-Doesn't actually heal you. (This is an advantage when it comes to justifying the mechanics in a way that players will accept.)

This seems to me to be about a wash vs. regular, cleric-style healing- as long as warlords have a "rouse the fallen" ability that lets someone with temporary hps but no real hps come to, even if briefly.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Something that Mike Mearls mentioned on the Google+ Hangout kind of sparked an idea. He was talking about the Warlord in Next and where non-magical healing fits into the game given the abstractness of hit points. Then he said something I actually never knew was a design intent, that with the bloodied mechanic in 4e, all damage up until being bloodied (brought to half hit points) was largely superficial, stamina, morale, and energy, while everything afterward, into negative hit points and eventual death, were the actual, serious wounds.
I doubt very much that was the design intent. Maybe that's what he wants the design intent to have been, now that Heinsoo isn't there to say otherwise...

fjw70

Adventurer
Mearls hp comments last week inspired a different idea for me.

First, ditch HD.
Second, all damage under the bloodied value is healed during a short rest.
Third, all hp damage is healed during an extended rest.
Fourth, in-combat and healing above bloodied without an extended rest must be done through magical means.

Simple and you would always have at least 1/2 hp for any enounter.

This would be a high healing option. For something a little less high change what extended rest means (I.e. an extended rest could be a week of light activity).

Btw, I like the idea of warlord "healing" granting THP.

Remove ads