Magic Fang Question

cappun

First Post
Mean DM said:

In defense of Cappun, he's not annoying and certainly not trying to munchkin my game. It is just one of those annoying rule-questions that my group can't agree one (I take an egalitarian approach to DMing despite my name:)). The problem is with me in that I can not make up my mind on this issue. This is my only flaw, really :D. I am going to invoke DMs privilege to change my mind once again and concede to the wisdom of Pielorinho, CRGreathouse, and SpikeyFreak (who by the way ruled this way back on page 1). One attack only. Sorry Cappun. Can you forgive me?

Mean DM

Since you said I am not annoying, I guess it is OK. I mean, you are just living up to your name.

Legildur

First Post
Caliban, I think I agree with your analysis of the intent that Flurry of Blows results in strikes from different parts of the body, but.....

Have you considered what happens when an Oriental Adventures monk flurries with a quarterstaff, lajatang or 3-section-staff? (particularly the latter as it is not a double weapon)

It would seem to me that a flurry with this monk weapons would result in strikes with the same 'part' of the weapon (and add 1.5x Str bonus to damage). Food for thought.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It would seem to me that a flurry with this monk weapons would result in strikes with the same 'part' of the weapon (and add 1.5x Str bonus to damage). Food for thought.

Well, the only thing that needs to be changed is the list of weapons in parentheses.

"A monk may also use the flurry of blows if armed with a special monk weapon (insert full list). If armed with one such weapon, she makes the extra attack either with that weapon or unarmed."

Using a three section staff is "armed with one such weapon".

By Caliban's interpretation, you'd either make your three base attacks with the staff, and the extra "flurry" attack unarmed - a kick, say - or three unarmed and one with the staff.

Does Oriental Adventures state that you can get 1.5 on every attack, or are you assuming?

-Hyp.

Remove ads