• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Creator

Troll Wizard

First Post
New version uploaded V6

It's been a few months, uploaded new v6 that includes additional work to the wondrous item creator. See my first post above to D/L the file.

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
kingpaul said:
It looks very nice...but where's the OGL and Declaration of OGC and PI?

He isn't claiming to be an OGL or a d20 product; therefore the provisions of the OGL do not apply.

Once you start claiming to be OGL or d20 then you must follow the license, up until that point you can use the general copyright rules. I have no idea if the spreadsheet is in violation of copyright rules.

Troll Wiz: it would be very easy to turn this into a fully legit OGL/d20 licensed 'product' and if you ever post this on your own website somewhere I think it would be worth the effort. If you decide to go that route and would like some help send me an email: yoyodyne at webweaver dot zzn dot com

Marasmusine

First Post
Wonderous Items

Hi Troll Wizard, I joined enworld just so I could check out your item creator :>

I'm using it to create something like Gauntlets with Touch Of Fatigue, which is a level 0 spell.
However, if you set Spell Level to 0, the equation returns a base value of 0 gp.
I think spell level 0 should count as level 1/2 for the purposes of the equation.

Edit: I tried the obvious thing of typing in "0.5" for caster level, which works.
I tested Hand of the Mage, which works correctly if Spell Duration is set to "Hours per level" (Mage Hand is Duration: Concentration), Command activated and CL set to 1. (DMG states CL is 2?)

Last edited:

Troll Wizard

First Post
Marasmusine said:
Hi Troll Wizard, I joined enworld just so I could check out your item creator :>

I'm using it to create something like Gauntlets with Touch Of Fatigue, which is a level 0 spell.
However, if you set Spell Level to 0, the equation returns a base value of 0 gp.
I think spell level 0 should count as level 1/2 for the purposes of the equation.

Edit: I tried the obvious thing of typing in "0.5" for caster level, which works.
I tested Hand of the Mage, which works correctly if Spell Duration is set to "Hours per level" (Mage Hand is Duration: Concentration), Command activated and CL set to 1. (DMG states CL is 2?)

Ok I fixed it now so that when you enter "0 or 0.5" for spell level; it equals 0.5 in the equation. I also fixed it in the formulas for the stave creator.

See v7 in my first post above.

The excel calculator is purely an electronic aid for the equations in the DMG. It works pretty well for potions, wands, armor, weapons, and staves, but not so good for wondrous items.

The player and DM should still compare a "new" wondrous magic item to an existing similiar item to get an idea of its "actual" game value. Which is based on the (designers criteria) of the item usefulness within the game - the final price is determined "subjectively;" wondrous items with a combat benefit (or significant game mechanic impact) tend to be priced higher and items of a role-playing benefit tend to be price lower... WOTC has said that you can create item's at lower level than what's stated in the book.

Recently there were 4 articles on WOTC website about item creation rules and guidelines, plus S. Reynolds and Monte Cook might still have their web articles up for item creation posted on their websites. That might help you price new wondrous items.

Marasmusine

First Post
Thanks, I'll look into those!
At the moment I'm thinking of sending the creator of an item to find specific 'ingredients' rather than just coming up with the GP value. So instead of adjusting the GP value in accordance with the 'game impact' of the item, the ingredients required become harder to get. e.g. Hand of the Mage might only cost 450gp to create but the wizard will need to go out and get a fresh elf hand to mummify which might pose a problem for good characters :>

Anyway, thanks for the update.

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
Troll Wiz - great file, just the sort of thing I like to help take the maths out of the equation. I've not had an in depth look - will do so later tonight if I can. However I'm seeing a problem in the Wondrous Item creator. I know this is the weakest area you say isn't as well developed (I imagine it must be a real pain) but it's also the area I'd personally use the most.

Fiirst bug I've noticed - Bonuses aren't being reported correctly in the little summary block. I selected an AC deflection of +2 and it came out fine. But I selected a strength enhancement of +4 and got a dex enhancement of +2 in the box - not sure why. Also the skill rank bonuses are coming back one lower than selected. I notice the Excel equations are both pointing to cell F9 so everything is relating back to the AC bonus rather than what's been selected for other qualities of the item.

Hope this helps
The Hoard

Troll Wizard

First Post
Goblyns Hoard said:
Troll Wiz - great file, just the sort of thing I like to help take the maths out of the equation. I've not had an in depth look - will do so later tonight if I can. However I'm seeing a problem in the Wondrous Item creator. I know this is the weakest area you say isn't as well developed (I imagine it must be a real pain) but it's also the area I'd personally use the most.

Fiirst bug I've noticed - Bonuses aren't being reported correctly in the little summary block. I selected an AC deflection of +2 and it came out fine. But I selected a strength enhancement of +4 and got a dex enhancement of +2 in the box - not sure why. Also the skill rank bonuses are coming back one lower than selected. I notice the Excel equations are both pointing to cell F9 so everything is relating back to the AC bonus rather than what's been selected for other qualities of the item.

Hope this helps
The Hoard

Feedback is welcomed! I fixed the problem cell references. I also added a DM's price modifier box. DMs may place a % increase or decrease on custom created items' market price. My initial post above now includes the updated v8 file.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Grimgoth

First Post
Awesome sheet. One thing I noticed is that when you create a wonderous item, you don't allow for multiple stats on the same item. One of our players came up with the "Headband of Clear Thought". +6 WIS/INT. The first +6 costs normal price and the 2nd stat is 1.5 cost. Is there any way to make it possible to add multiple stats on the same item into the sheet?

Thanks in advance.

Remove ads