• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item for Improving Attack Rolls for Rays. Is there one?

mo

First Post
Hi.

Does anyone know of a magic item which improves your chance of hitting with a ray attack (other than gloves of Dex)?

Very other attack I can think of has some form of magic weapon or equivalent, and something for rays would be quiute handy

mo

Silveras

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You're more likely to get them past a DM than the fabled Ring of Use-Activated True Strike :)

-Hyp.

Quite true.. most rays are ranged TOUCH attacks, and don't really need to get much better. They ignore physical armor and shield (even magically enhanced armor and shield) and a creature's natural armor.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Silveras said:
Quite true.. most rays are ranged TOUCH attacks, and don't really need to get much better. They ignore physical armor and shield (even magically enhanced armor and shield) and a creature's natural armor.

True, but that's no reason for an item improving rays to be overpowered. In fact, an item that only improves rays should cost LESS than an item that improves all attacks- like Bless or Heroism- because Bless and Heroism improve ALL attacks, INCLUDING rays. If I remember correctly, there's an Ioun stone than gives you a +1 competence bonus on all attack rolls, skills checks, and ability checks- an item that only improves the attack rolls of rays would cost much, much less.

The only existing item I can think of at the moment is the Sorcerer's Hand crossbow from the Arms & Equipment guide. It's a +2 light crossbow shaped like a hand with two outstretched fingers- and, if you use it as an additional focus while casting a Ray spell, you gain a +1 or +2 bonus on your ranged touch attack roll (I can't remember which it was- I don't have the book handy) and your caster level is counted as 1 higher for purposes of that spell only. If you have that book, you can use the cost of that weapon as a guide- just take away the +2 enhancement bonus from the weapon, and see what you're left with for the price.

DarkMaster

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
True, but that's no reason for an item improving rays to be overpowered. In fact, an item that only improves rays should cost LESS than an item that improves all attacks- like Bless or Heroism- because Bless and Heroism improve ALL attacks, INCLUDING rays. If I remember correctly, there's an Ioun stone than gives you a +1 competence bonus on all attack rolls, skills checks, and ability checks- an item that only improves the attack rolls of rays would cost much, much less.

The only existing item I can think of at the moment is the Sorcerer's Hand crossbow from the Arms & Equipment guide. It's a +2 light crossbow shaped like a hand with two outstretched fingers- and, if you use it as an additional focus while casting a Ray spell, you gain a +1 or +2 bonus on your ranged touch attack roll (I can't remember which it was- I don't have the book handy) and your caster level is counted as 1 higher for purposes of that spell only. If you have that book, you can use the cost of that weapon as a guide- just take away the +2 enhancement bonus from the weapon, and see what you're left with for the price.

Ask your wizard to build you a ring with a sight mounted on it, and say that it improves your aim and it gives you + whatever you want, pay the cost determined by the DM, voila you have it now.

thorian

Explorer
There is a third eye on the WotC psionic area that grants a +1 or +2 to ranged attacks, you may be able to extrapolate the cost for a higher plus. Also, Divine Favor, Divine Power and Cat's Grace all help a lot.

jgsugden

Legend
A Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone grants a +1 competence bonus to attack rolls.

The Dexterity Tomes obviously would help.

An item that induces polymorph (staff, wand, etc ...) can give you a much higher dexterity.

Norfleet

First Post
Well, you could get something which produces a permanent, but harmless ray from the same point that your intended hostile ray emits from, then use it as an aiming pointer....but you'd have to make this magic item yourself.

Remove ads