• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic item ideas

So most of us agree +3 swords are boring so I thought if we made some items ourselves we could kick start some of the designers ideas (assuming they see the thread)

My ideas are far from original, but I think thy cod be fun:

1)Super Soldier Sheild- This Sheild adds +1 magic to you and all adjacent allies AC. As an action you can throw the Sheild up to 25ft with a str weapon attack(+1) on a hit deal 1d8+str damage.
Special if you use the parry or protect combat supirority you can reroll 1s on the die.

2) Magic Jammer Gloves- as a reaction a person wearing these gloves my take 1d10 damage to use the counter spell spell as if he had it prepared.
Special every time you use these glove in a day up the die by 1 for damage (1d10,2d10,3d10 ect)

Li Shenron

Legend
Rather than completely abolish the +3 sword, I would like there to be +3 (or even +5 or more) weapons that are highly situationals, maybe even 1-shot weapons.

For example a weapon which strikes as a +3 or +5 only when you're on the brink of death e.g. when you're 1-3 hp left, then its magic manifests fully but also deals you additional damage. If the weapon is then rendered useless (permanently or for a period of time) it could even be a "True Strike" weapon with a much larger bonus to attack.

Rather than completely abolish the +3 sword, I would like there to be +3 (or even +5 or more) weapons that are highly situationals, maybe even 1-shot weapons.

For example a weapon which strikes as a +3 or +5 only when you're on the brink of death e.g. when you're 1-3 hp left, then its magic manifests fully but also deals you additional damage. If the weapon is then rendered useless (permanently or for a period of time) it could even be a "True Strike" weapon with a much larger bonus to attack.

So the sword of death deferred- this sword glows red when you take damage, and grow stronger. When you have less hp then your level it gains a +2 to hit and damage

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I always liked the dragon-slaying sword that was +1 normally, +2 against reptiles, +3 against dragons (or whatever it was).

nightwalker450

First Post
Dragon slaying is fine..

I think we'd just like to be rid of the default assumption that all items are +x... And item should be able to be magic without being +x.. A +x weapon should be just a +x and that's why its magical. It shouldn't be magical so therefore its +x.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So most of us agree +3 swords are boring...
Personally, I think "Swords of Martial Puissance" are just as magical as any other weapon in the game.

(I will admit, however, that I liked the ones that were better against certain foes more...when the campaign included such foes.)

I wonder, then, what would happen if Martial Puissance was just like any other enchantment...and was therefore rarely placed on weapons with other enchantments.

Thus, there might be a Sword of Martial Puissance +5...but no Holy Avenger +X at all. A Holy Avenger might have some nifty abilities, but it would not improve your ability to hit. Or if it did, only against evil creatures.* At all other times, it would have no effect on the outcome of the combat, behaving in all ways- except its resistance to destruction- as a mundane sword when used to fight non-evil beings.

My ideas are far from original, but I think thy cod be fun:

Thanks! I find it to be very entertaining myself!

I saw thine cod performing a comedic skit at a local tavern, and it had them falling from their benches. T'was quite the cod piece!

* or maybe that +X only applies in the hands of a Paladin, or someone of the sword's religious background, etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...a "True Strike" weapon with a much larger bonus to attack.

The "Inerrant" or "Retributive" weapon enchantment!

1) Inerrant if on a "per _______ time period" basis.

2) Retributive if based on the impending demise of its wielder.

Scribble

First Post
Scribble's Codpiece of Humor

This codpiece grants the wearer training in the performance skill (although his or her jokes will always be followed by a loud phantasmal groan).

But really to add something substantial to the thread: As I mentioned before I'm not really AGAINST +x weapons... so much as against the idea of turning unique items into templates.

So I like the idea of the Super Soldier Shield, but I wouldn't want a "Soldier Shield" trait that can be added to different types of shields or armors or whatever.

Remove ads