Magic item ideas

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This codpiece grants the wearer training in the performance skill (although his or her jokes will always be followed by a loud phantasmal groan).

It has a flag that pops out, sporting the word, "Applause", right?

Lightning blade-This katanna grants the owner advantage on intative, and a special advantage/disadvantage on attack rolls against targets who have not acted yet... Roll 2d20 if you choose to take the higher roll(advantage) that is all, however if you take the lower roll (disadvantage) you deal +2d8 lightning damage.

Special the advantage/disadvstage property can not he cancled by normal advantage or disadvantage

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
4/day, when the command word "Yarnell" is spoken by a living construct (such as a Warforged), this medium shield radiates a field of Silence.

tlantl

First Post
This stuck me as interesting.

Someone mentioned one shot items which triggered a thought where magic items, including weapons, could recharge over time. First I thought 'daily' but we already have plenty of those, so what about taking ten or twenty minutes to recharge after being used so they are available more times a day but are only useful once or twice during a particular fight or operation (open a locked door, cast a charm spell out of combat, or even to enhance a skill check such as a luck stone, or something).

I think I'll give this a try in my Sunday game, as soon as I dream up some items to use. Maybe a sword that grants an extra CS die, or book that grants the trained bonus on a lore check every ten or fifteen minutes.

Even if they are used in succession it adds to the passage of time in game which could be an issue in the course of an adventure or in the setting in general.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You could use all kinds of charge/recharge mechanics:

1) like pre4Ed wands, an item might have a limited number of charges that, once expended, are gone. No recharging.

2) like pre4Ed rings, an item might have a limited number of charges per day, once expended, are gone until the next day.

3) an item might have a limited number of charges that, once expended, are gone "until X happens," where X could be any number of conditions- delivering a killnig blow to a foe; recharging 1 use per foe killed with the weapon; when the wielder takes a certain amount of damage; "when the second moon was full"; if attacking a certain kind of foe.

Last edited:

Aemon Crane

First Post
Good stuff,

I added this in my game. I like giving magic items that aren't powerful on the damage or attack roll but still adds flavor to the game.

Leomund's Chest,   Small white oak chest radiates magic, can't be destroyed or damaged. Engraved picture of a small hut on a beach. Must be able to cast that level spell.  Holds 4 Leomund's Hut scrolls (Max) and if you use the last scroll it teleports away randomly to some dungeon within d1000 miles. Recharge 1 scroll every 4 days.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Weapon/implement/thing : add +1d4 fire dmg to attacks/spells/etc AND add +4d8 fire to an attack and the thing shuts down for a while.
- you have a huge burst, but it costs you on future use

thing* : if your hps =< your level, you gain +10/+10 and impose disadvantage to your saves.

thing* : when lit only by fire (torchlight, candle, etc - no "magic glow", no sun, no moon, etc.) you can make a melee attack as a bonus action, this attack deals fire damage.

thing* : you become partially blind. You can only see things that are either within 10 feet OR between 30 and 60 feet away - you have blindsense in those ranges. You can change which range you perceive with an action.

thing* : when you slay a creature, you must spend an action in meditative apology else you suffer a -5 penalty to attacks, damage, saves, AC and skill checks for a round.

thing* : if this thing isn't exposed to sunlight during the day, it transforms the wielder into a wraith during the night. If it isn't exposed to moonlight, it transforms the wielder into an azer (the aggressive kind) during the day. If it is "locked away" during a period where it would transform the wielder, the object itself transforms into a pillar of necrotic or fire - any creature touching the pillar is transformed as if it were the wielder. This transformation lasts until sunup or sundown.

thing* : the demon energies bound within must be both appeased and battered daily with a mixture of fresh blood and holy water. Failure allows the demon to create an effect where on every attack, the wielder suffers 1 fire and 1 necrotic damage. On a hit, the target also suffers this damage. The effect progresses to 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d8 for every missed day. In addition, any healing the wielder receives (including regeneration, Hit Dice spent, etc) is reduced by the extra damage (2, 2d4, 2d6, etc.). Should the end result be negative, that many points of damage are dealt to the wielder. One application of fresh blood and holy water quells the demon. When found, it will probably be on the 3d8 "setting" - wield with caution...
**The DM should decide how much (if any) damage "fresh blood" represents.

thing* : when you slay (i.e. kill) a creature, you can use a bonus action to twist the creature's soul into a wraith you create and control within 30 feet. The wraith acts immediately after you and then dissipates.
Note: this is not a nice thing to do...

thing* : when you are very sad, you can heal an adjacent creature as an action. Treat this effect as if you had cast cure wounds at the highest level you could cast it if you were a full caster. A good way to "become really sad" is to spend inspiration.

*thing means a weapon, or implement, or armour, or hairpin, or.. you get the drift.

Last edited:

Remove ads