Level Up (A5E) Magic Item Price List

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Hi @Morrus / other wonderful authors! Is there an updated version of this table, based on all the feedback? In the published T&T pdf the prices are listed in item descriptions, but there's no table like this, so far as I can see.
There is no table with all of the items listed on it all at once, no (tables because it'd take several pages to do that). However, you'll be able to sort and view them by price using the tools on the rules website. ☺

losu

Villager
Hey folks! We need your help! Our magic items chapter contains over 500 items, and each one of those items has a gold piece price.

We’d love some extra eyes on this list. Below you’ll see a table containing all the (non artifact) magic items, their types, their price, and any notes where they may differ from the items you are familiar with from original 5E (O5E).

If you spot anything out of whack, please do let us know. It’s a big list, and the more eyes-on the better! Of course, if you don’t see anything wrong, that’s great too!

Many of the items in the list below are new (we have added over 200 items to those in the O5E core rules), but you should be familiar with at least half of them.

Way too cheap. If bags of holding were 500 gp they'd be mass produced for industrial shipping. Fill each with 500 pounds of grain, do this 100 times and the 30,000 gp galley - the key to a sea-bound trade network essential to a non-magical world's growth - can be replaced with one 35 gp wagon.

I judge agic item prices as if they were part of a free trade society. Their price would achieve equilibrium. Bags of holding need to be 5,000 or more to not totally disrupt a medieval fantasy world.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Way too cheap. If bags of holding were 500 gp they'd be mass produced for industrial shipping. Fill each with 500 pounds of grain, do this 100 times and the 30,000 gp galley - the key to a sea-bound trade network essential to a non-magical world's growth - can be replaced with one 35 gp wagon.

I judge agic item prices as if they were part of a free trade society. Their price would achieve equilibrium. Bags of holding need to be 5,000 or more to not totally disrupt a medieval fantasy world.
This post was 3 years ago. The book was published 2 years ago.

Selganor

Adventurer
Fill each with 500 pounds of grain,
And the moment you put any food/drink into an A5E bag of holding it ceases to be nourishing (I'd also assume that you can't grow new plants from it), so once you remove that you got lots of useless organic waste ;)

And the moment you put any food/drink into an A5E bag of holding it ceases to be nourishing (I'd also assume that you can't grow new plants from it), so once you remove that you got lots of useless organic waste ;)
The main point of the OP was that a handful of bags of holding can be more efficient and cheaper any traditional bulk transportation method. Substitute grain with iron, or gold, or whatever, and that point still stands.

NotAYakk

Legend
I'd make bag-space collide with bag-space. Two bag-space objects (bags of holding) repel each other if they get too close.

This lets you double volume, and make things super-light with bags of holding.

We can make bag-space less roomy than normal space. Ie, a 3x3x3 bag-space bag takes up 10x10x10 in bag-space.

Bags could even make each other leak weight when packed too close together.

Like this:

Bag of Holding:
This small bag contains a portal to a 5' x 5' x 5' extra dimensional space. You can place your hand at the entrance of the bag and, as an action, cause an item you know is in the bag to appear in your hand.

The bag gains 1% of the weight of the contents of the extra dimensional space, and refuses to let more items be added once there is 500 lbs within the space.

Bags of Holding and other similar items do not work well when close together. They collide with each other if their extra dimensional spaces would overlap (the spaces slide out of the way if possible). In addition, for every Bag of Holding or similar within 100' another 1% of the weight of the contents leaks through to the bag itself (to a max of 100%).

Attempting to place a Bag of Holding or similar extra dimensional space opening within a Bag of Holding isn't possible. The entrance acts as a solid.

If you turn a Bag of Holding inside out, or tear it, all of the items in the Bag of Holding spill out into the surrounding area. A torn bag of holding no longer contains an extra dimensional space.

For an adventurer, this is nearly indistinguishable from the 5e Bag of Holding (barring number changes). But use for bulk cargo is extremely limited.

This seems perfectly legit homebrew material, but can create a whole set of unintended conundrums:
  • a party of adventurers may not be able to move close to each other because they each have a bag of holding for instance.
  • if they act as solid barriers, a crafty group could throw one on top of each other, have the "cubes" repel each other, and use the bags of holding as a ladder
  • if both a PC and an NPC have bags, they could shove each other or be unable to go in close contact. This could also act as a "locating device"
  • etc etc
Maybe I've been playing a lot of immersive sims and these kinds of unorthodox usages are a bit of a stretch, but I can honestly see several plenty of opportunity for weird and unintended interactions that may require the DM to take a pause and think. If you're going for a simulationist campaign with emergent gameplay, this could be fun. Otherwise, the added complication might not be worthy, and a simple but significant price bump could be more effective

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Magic item pricing is definitely relative- I've told my players to ignore the a5e magic item prices because I try to avoid having magic items being available for plain gold at shops.
In 5e I would often would look to the "Sane Magical Item Prices" PDF because it seemed in-line with how much treasure my players seemed to acquire. Also, I like the idea of my players finding random magic items and having to adapt to use them, rather than getting the optimum things that they want for their "builds."

HOWEVER when looking at a5e's Trials book and how much treasure it suggests for characters, I think the prices are quite reasonable!
I'm not trying to take "real world" economics into account though... or the party pooling gold to get a Bag of Holding at level 3 😅

Remove ads