Level Up (A5E) Magic Item Price List

Stalker0

Legend
HOWEVER when looking at a5e's Trials book and how much treasure it suggests for characters, I think the prices are quite reasonable!
I mean a 5th level party is going to earn about 3,200 gold over that level. That's enough for like 6 uncommons or a couple of rares, you can get some pretty darn good stuff.

Generally what I found is that many of the magic item prices that are above 1k are often reasonable to me, they provide a good benefit but at a solid expense. However, there's a lot of stuff below 1k in price that is actually quite strong (especially if you get multiple of certain items) so that's the stuff to watch for.

It also comes down to how much you treat gold price as a measure of "power" vs "market price". Power is the assumption that most people just don't really have magic items. The power is purely about how soon and how often should the players have access to that item....aka a real measure of its power. And I think the prices are a decent reflection of that.

As a true market price for the buying and selling of items....I think dungeonomics is always doomed to fail. As soon as you assume low level merchants can get access to even 100 gp magic items, things quickly go sideways. Something that might not be all that strong to a party (ie the bag of holding) can completely change world economies when their allowed to be more commonly traded.

Last edited:

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I mean a 5th level party is going to earn about 3,200 gold over that level. That's enough for like 6 uncommons or a couple of rares, you can get some pretty darn good stuff.

Generally what I found is that many of the magic item prices that are above 1k are often reasonable to me, they provide a good benefit but at a solid expense. However, there's a lot of stuff below 1k in price that is actually quite strong (especially if you get multiple of certain items) so that's the stuff to watch for.

It also comes down to how much you treat gold price as a measure of "power" vs "market price". Power is the assumption that most people just don't really have magic items. The power is purely about how soon and how often should the players have access to that item....aka a real measure of its power. And I think the prices are a decent reflection of that.

As a true market price for the buying and selling of items....I think dungeonomics is always doomed to fail. As soon as you assume low level merchants can get access to even 100 gp magic items, things quickly go sideways. Something that might not be all that strong to a party (ie the bag of holding) can completely change world economies when their allowed to be more commonly traded.
Agreed to all. I figured that the prices set were based on en's own magic-steampunk setting where magic is pretty common- my initial reactions of "unreasonably cheap" were based on all the stuff of "uncommon" and lower variety. Looking at the prices of higher tier stuff, I'd be more likely to use them for guidance as to how much things could cost... Though again, I try to avoid magic item shops and purchasing non-consumables for gold.
Try to.. I do occasionally fail ha

Remove ads