Level Up (A5E) Magic Item Price List

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey folks! We need your help! Our magic items chapter contains over 500 items, and each one of those items has a gold piece price.

We’d love some extra eyes on this list. Below you’ll see a table containing all the (non artifact) magic items, their types, their price, and any notes where they may differ from the items you are familiar with from original 5E (O5E).

If you spot anything out of whack, please do let us know. It’s a big list, and the more eyes-on the better! Of course, if you don’t see anything wrong, that’s great too!

Many of the items in the list below are new (we have added over 200 items to those in the O5E core rules), but you should be familiar with at least half of them.

aco175

Legend
Quick look at all the armor showing odd formulas to get pricing from +1, +2, +3. Plate mail +1 is 6,000- +2 is 24,000- +3 is 96,000 (base x4,x4). Breastplate is the same basex4,x4. Scale is 250 as a base and follows base x8,x4 (250, 2000, 8,000). A few others but not sure if based on type of armor such as light, med, heavy or materials, or something else. Padded cloth starting at 65 gp for +1 armor. It might just be a mechanic at that point to get mages a bit of boost from 11Ac to 12.

Splint mail is listed as split.

Darkwynters

Explorer
Hmmm Weapon +3 is only 8000 GP. I mean it sounds pretty cheap, but without any ideas of… and yes I am saying it again: gold distribution table, its hard to see if this is low. Many of my gamers have around 8K at 9th lvl. Of course, you guys might have changed this table and the starting at higher levels table.

Faolyn

(she/her)
OK, costs:

The prices seem to be a bit all over the place. Common items range from 2gp to 150 gp (with a significant number of items being either 50 gp or 75 gp). Common potions range from 50 to 85 gp and it's hard to tell what causes that price range. It seems like potions of healing would be in higher demand than potions of climbing are, but climbing potions are a lot more expensive.

Why is glamoured padded leather 100 gp more expensive than padded leather +1. Does the glamoured stuff also give a bonus to AC? From an in-world perspective, someone might want to wear armor without looking (or feeling?) like they are, but from an in-game perspective, the one with the better AC is probably more in demand.

Since you didn't specify what the various feather tokens are, and they're all rare items, I can't tell if the prices are good or not. Additionally, without descriptions (and no, I'm not expecting you to post any), it's a bit hard to tell if an air charm is worth 500gp but amber wings are worth only 115gp.

If it were up to me, I'd first divide each rarity type into, I dunno, level 1, level 2, level 3, with the idea that a level 1 common item is far cheaper and more widely available than a level 3 common item, which in turn is still cheaper than even the cheapest uncommon item. Then I'd give a standardized price (or price range) for each level of rarity and each level within that rarity. A level 1 common item could be 1d4+1 gp. A level 2 common item might be 1d4x5 gp. A level 3 common item might be 1d4x10 gp. That would neatly align with what you have here. Uncommon items could have 2d6 (x5, x10, x20). Rare items could have 3d8. Very rare items could have 4d10. Legendary items could have 5d12. It's very swingy, yes, but the prices you currently have are already very swingy.

I don't think you need to have the decanter of endless water produce non-potable water. That's the decanter's entire purpose. Just make it rare or even very rare. As it is... does it even have a purpose for PCs? Besides maybe putting out fires? I know you want to make travel tougher and more memorable, but you need to make sure you're not going overboard the other way.

Bag of cheese. So in a game I was playing once, we... well, I can't remember if we actually got it or just talked about it, but there was a bag of walnuts. You opened it up, and there were 12 walnuts inside. If you emptied it out and waited a bit, there'd be 12 more walnuts. For some reason, the players loved it and the GM hated it. He was convinced we would somehow use those walnuts to bypass all manner of problems.

All these gremlins why did you not include an artificer class?! Please, someone who isn't me and is good at class-building make an LU-style artificer!

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I don't think they meant pricing that was off of a formula, but more does any magic item seem particularly expensive or cheap for what it does.
bill.gif

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases