D&D 5E magic items for druid?

Since you can't really take your magic items with you into wild shape, I'd recommend picking some items that you aren't going to use in battle. There are plenty of cool items that do non-combat things you can't do with your wild shapes--see which of those look interesting. Or, if you are thinking of combat, maybe a bag of tricks to use on the first round.

Staccat0

First Post
I could see a custom item that allows you to go "into" other animals (with a saving throw) and control them. Kinda like Wargs in Game of Thrones.

It wouldn't be the different from what you can do, but would have specific special advantages in certain circumstances.

Also, what about boons? Like, a mark placed on the druid by god? Or a magical tattoo?

PnPgamer

Explorer
Since you can't really take your magic items with you into wild shape, I'd recommend picking some items that you aren't going to use in battle. There are plenty of cool items that do non-combat things you can't do with your wild shapes--see which of those look interesting. Or, if you are thinking of combat, maybe a bag of tricks to use on the first round.

I was considering a magical item (don't remember if it was a helmet, ring or something else) that gave permanent protection against scrying and telepathic communication. Just so that I can prevent our warlock constantly bugging with his great old one telepathy.

Staffan

Legend
Rings don't work in wild shape? They used to in 3e and PF I believe. You really need to shore up that low AC in bear form.
They did not work in 3.5e (alter self, "When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional." - Wild Shape refers to polymorph which refers to this). They might have changed it in errata, I remember that they went a few rounds with polymorph/wild shape errata.

They do work in Pathfinder (overview of the Transmutation (polymorph) subschool, "When you cast a polymorph spell that changes you into a creature of the animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin type, all of your gear melds into your body. Items that provide constant bonuses and do not need to be activated continue to function while melded in this way (with the exception of armor and shield bonuses, which cease to function).")

They do not work in 5e (polymorph, "The target's gear melds into the new form. The creature can't activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit from any of its equipment."). But on the other hand, 5e polymorph (and thus wild shape) doesn't use your own hit points - you gain the target form's hp, and when those are gone you turn back into your own form with the same number of hp you had when you changed, minus any excess damage (if you had 40 hp when changing, and took enough damage to take you down to -5 hp in polymorphed form, you would change back with 35 hp).

juggerulez

First Post
who said magic items don't work?
page 140 of DMG:
in most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn can fit a creature regardless of size or build.[...]
when a nonhumanoid tries to wear an item, use your discretion as to whether the item functions as intended.

this means that if your DM hates you, you won't be able to use a helmet of telepathy as a brown bear, otherwise why shouldn't it reshape to look as a barding helmet?
implying, of course, that it is a non-metal helmet :v

page 67 PHB
You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece o f equipment, based on the creature’s shape and size. Your equipment doesn’t change size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can’t wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

which is overridden by the magic propriety of the item, implying your DM allows it, but, honestly, why shouldn't he?
- from AC perspective druids have literally no other mean than magic items to increase their AC, unless you can multiclass, which slows down your shape gains; or use Magic Armor as your 1st level spell gained through the feat "magic initiate", which only rises it by 3; You can also cast Barkskin but since it's a concentration spell, forget your dps and utility outputs (and also it sets your AC to 16, so it isn't even *that* game-changing for a concentration spell).
- from utility perspective there is very little a druid can use while shaped: forget all "handled" items, forget all activation word based items unless your form can actually speak (which is represented by the presence of languages in its description)

Unless your DM allows you to create magic items ex novo or adapt pre existent ones to a more suitable item for your new shapes (e.g. a telepathy helmet changed as a sash that converts to a collar while shaped) there is really little you could use :|

Remove ads